Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Projects > Fortress Forever > Feature

Demoman Grenade Physics. Issue Tools
issueid=231 10-24-2009 10:56 PM
Ambassador of Everything.
Demoman Grenade Physics.
Demoman grenade physics should tumble a tad more realistic.

I've fought for this one... for a while now. So.

Demoman grenades should bounce and roll in a realistic 'half-football' fashion instead of the current spherical way. It shouldn't be to the point where it causes any seriously disadvantageous changes to the way the grenade bounces in its spherical trajectory. It might actually increase accuracy somewhat, making it easier to place remote grenades in the right spot since they would be able to roll, not just bounce. Of course, the non-aesthetic features covering buffs and nerfs are up for debate.
Issue Details
Issue Type Feature
Project Fortress Forever
Category Classes (Scout/Engineer/etc)
Status Rejected
Priority 5 - Medium
Suggested Version Undefined
Implemented Version (none)
Votes for this feature 3
Votes against this feature 3
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

11-01-2009 08:12 AM
Who the fuck is this guy?

I only see this as being harder to place...
11-01-2009 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk Eye
I only see this as being harder to place...
Pose your argument. Mine is this- are the timed grenades in TF2 at all hard to place and maneuver? I have no difficulty using them. They tend to start rolling sideways which makes them go forward at the end of their trajectory. Not hard to use at all.

Also, the TFC grenades would never (perhaps rarely?) end up in the same place after firing them without moving my aim. It actually promoted an automatic spread in the general area where I wanted my grenades to end up, so less of me moving around and adjusting my aim would be necessary. Just stand in one place, click twice, reload, click six times, step away.
11-01-2009 11:29 PM
FF Loremaster

In TF2, the pipes (not the stickies) are not hard to hit because they explode on enemy contact. Getting them to roll to a specific point is incredibly tough. Period.

A ball is easier to roll than an a cylinder with two half circles on the tips. There's a reason footballs behave sporadically.
11-02-2009 10:02 AM
Gets tickled by FF

"a football" you mean "an American football"

remember EU exists here, and American football isn't our football :p hehe

Just to clear up any confusion :)
11-02-2009 07:44 PM
Stuff Do-er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elmo
EU exists
There's your first mistake.
11-02-2009 09:06 PM

This is a discussion, no need for what would seem an attempted flame when it's easy to understand what Elmo means.
11-02-2009 09:16 PM
Stuff Do-er

Just having a bit of fun.

My avatar is of a Briton, by the way
11-02-2009 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Credge
In TF2, the pipes (not the stickies) are not hard to hit because they explode on enemy contact. Getting them to roll to a specific point is incredibly tough. Period.

A ball is easier to roll than an a cylinder with two half circles on the tips. There's a reason footballs behave sporadically.
Again, I still present the TFC argument. The TF2 grenades have never given me any difficulty, they tend to roll where I put them, so that's rather strange that it proves to be difficult for you.

In any case, it's basically a given that I am not saying that we should have the grenades that bounce like Mexican jumping beans. Just to the point that the TFC grenades are at, more or less. Also the 'visual' aspect of it should agree with the way it bounces. The Mario pill shaped grenades we have now seem to bounce like perfect spheres. Wait. They do.
11-03-2009 10:45 AM

Good of you to clear that up squeek.
11-03-2009 08:48 PM
crystaLcity

it is strange to hear squeek joking around but cummon wakka srsly?
what if i said u were a cocksucker?
01-02-2010 03:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHURCHMOUTH
it is strange to hear squeek joking around but cummon wakka srsly?
what if i said u were a cocksucker?
what
01-03-2010 06:17 PM

I dont know what TFC you were playing but firing grenades in TFC in the same trajectory always ends up with grenades in exactly the same spot (and they went through each other)

Anyway, pipes are hard enough to place as it is, without them randomly jumping around like footballs. Additionally, the havok physics engine doesnt like crazy shapes like footballs - it causes enough CPU rape just emulating spheres. (have lots of demomen spam pipes and you'll see noticeable slowdown).

EDIT: After quickly checking with TF2, it's interesting having randomly bouncing grenades. It makes spamming grenades much harder, as you have no idea where they're going to go - spamming around a corner sometimes ends up shooting yourself in the head. An interesting choice.

That said, I wouldnt be against making the models bigger and rounder. I like the large size of the TF2 grenades and stickies, which properly represent how important (deadly) they are.
01-03-2010 06:48 PM
Gets tickled by FF

I agree with what you said Aftershok. Ive been watching my house mate play tf2 for the last two days (I am even sitting while he plays now..)

Specifically I agree that the models could be larger which would help with my plea to get them more noticeable....

Issue Tools
Subscribe to this issue