Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Projects > Fortress Forever > Feature

sv_maxcaps and win incentive Issue Tools
issueid=249 01-05-2010 12:38 PM
Banned
sv_maxcaps and win incentive

I suggested this before, but I didn't do it in public where everyone could comment on it. My suggestion is for a console command for server operators called sv_maxcaps — default 10 variable. Essentially, this set number determines the maximum captures a team must achieve before that team is declared victorious and another map is loaded.

There is no incentive to win in a pub, therefore the game tends to turn into midmap deathmatch game. Because there is no incentive to win, only a few skilled players actually play the game, but they get bored of having to repeat the same thing over and over with little challenge and drop, then everyone cries for a RTV, only to deathmatch on the next map and have the cycle repeat.

In addition, there needs to be even more incentive to win.
Therefore, I suggest and have suggested, I believe, the following:
  1. Rewards for capturing the flag, be it a health boost to all team mates or giving them double damage for a few seconds. What better way to motivate people to capture? "Goddamn, that Scout just killed me with a single shotgun with double damage. That's not fair! Oh wait, I can get double damage too if we actually work toward captures. GEE GEE GUYZ LET'S DO IT, GTFO BASE AND CAP :>"
  2. Perhaps some nice HUD visuals that show you(r team) captured the flag? Maybe like some fireworks, hey, that'd motivate me to get another cap. (Lmfao)
  3. End round statistics, who was the most accurate? Who had the longest killing spree? Who dialed in the most captures? Who had the longest death streak? Who had the most kills, the most deaths, held the flag the longest, whatever.
  4. "Victory Round" for the winners. TF2's little humiliation round makes victory feel good. It doesn't need to be that exaggerated, with the animations and voices and shit, but you can figure something out.

Crying that a specific feature is utilized by Team Fortress 2 is no argument — It's an ad hom attack. Address content instead of the character that creates it. Does a cure for cancer become something bad if it were discovered by, say, Adolf Hitler's crack team of NAZI SCIENTISTS? No.
Issue Details
Issue Type Feature
Project Fortress Forever
Category General Game
Status Suggested
Priority 7 - Med/Low
Suggested Version Undefined
Implemented Version (none)
Votes for this feature 5
Votes against this feature 0
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

01-05-2010 02:02 PM
WhenNailGrenWillOut?

Totally agree with you on all points. Capping is so tedious and boring right now,the devs need to spice it up a little.
01-05-2010 05:28 PM

nice ideas
01-07-2010 02:03 AM

So what do you think this will do to balance? I'm curious to see what issues you think might come from implementing it?
01-07-2010 02:05 AM
Banned

I don't see how it's an issue of balance?
01-07-2010 02:10 AM

So three of us are in the enemy base low on health say 50%.

Our guy caps flag, we get Health send guy out with flag repeat the process, keep capping flag and rotating guys in base from extra time in base due to health boost.
01-07-2010 02:14 AM
Banned

It wouldn't be a 'one way street'. The other team could capture as well and get their own health boosts to combat you. Besides, I wasn't suggesting the health boost as 'the special effect'. It was a de facto suggestion. The development team could sort out something to reward the capturing team without allowing them too much of an upper hand. My suggestion was just giving them some sort of a reward, an incentive, some motivation. Of course, there's always that ultimate incentive of hitting the capture limit before the enemy team and obtaining the 'victory round', where 'inbalance' would be 'the spoils' of hard work.
01-07-2010 10:39 AM

if these features will be implemented, there must be a command to activate them. These features would affect in a good way at public games. But i dont think it would be ok for clan matches.
01-07-2010 01:43 PM
Banned

There would be focus on making the bonus motivating for pub players while useful for competitive players.

Issue Tools
Subscribe to this issue