Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Projects > Fortress Forever > Feature

disable trimping when ducked Issue Tools
issueid=144 03-25-2009 11:54 AM
disable trimping when ducked

pls can we implement a way to choose whether or not you do a trimp (rather than a normal jump/bhop). i've been wanting this for a long time, as the one thing about ff movement that rly annoys me is when you're bhopping along or do a strafe jump and then suddenly pop fcking miles up into the air when you really didn't want to just because the trimp code gets activated accidentally. the result is it's often better to intentionally bhop slowly or just run on the ground when you're on uneven ground, which blows.

you may think we should just raise the speed required to trimp, but i don't think that's the right way go at all, cos firstly that should be used to balance the act of trimping itself (and intentional trimping [i.e. when you actually want to use it] is a fun feature that ppl seem to like and balances pretty well atm), and secondly however fast you make the speed required it doesn't actually solve the problem, just makes it happen less often.

so, my suggestion is v simple: completely disable trimping when ducked. gives full control to the player, v simple to use control wise, makes reasonable sense to explain/remember, doesn't change intentional trimping at all (which can still be balanced completely separately ofc) so it doesn't make learning/using intentional trimping any harder or change its effectiveness/balance at all. also should be v easy to code :)

-----

edit: i should have clarified that by trimping i mean just regular trimping (what ppl sometimes call "upwards"/"forwards" trimping - i.e. when going up a slope). i am not proposing any change to "downwards"/"reverse" trimping (i.e. when you gain speed by bhopping down a slope), nor any change to "double-jumping".

if you do not properly understand these techniques or wtf i'm on about (you think there is no problem atm) then don't worry, the change i'm proposing will probably make absolutely no difference to the way you use FF movement. if the forum voting feature is going to be useful then please do not vote either way on something you don't fully understand.
This issue is closed. No more replies may be made.
Issue Details
Issue Type Feature
Project Fortress Forever
Category General Game
Status Suggested
Priority 5 - Medium
Suggested Version 2.3
Implemented Version (none)
Votes for this feature 4
Votes against this feature 8
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

03-30-2009 09:00 AM

lol, ok, i shall try harder to learn to bhop. and then i shall go and try to learn the maps. my mistake, thanks for the advice.

but yeah, i think ppl are still posting/voting who have v little idea what i'm on about, how it will actually affect them, or what the pros/cons of the alternatives are (i.e. leave it as it is atm; increase the speed threshold for a trimp; put a no-trimp trigger such as duck in). probably best if we take this discussion to the dev forum.
03-30-2009 08:24 PM

Hi there caesium,

I respect your enthusiasm for the game of Fortress Forever and we need more players like you eager to improve but you have to realise that the onus is not on developers to change the game to fix a deficiency in one player's skill set but more on the player to learn to play the game properly.

Im willing to offer you some 1:1 coaching to help you with your bhop skills. Send me a private message if you are interested.
03-30-2009 08:39 PM
Gets tickled by FF

haha
03-31-2009 10:03 AM

thanks, coach.
03-31-2009 03:28 PM
Who the fuck is this guy?

Please take, and record that coaching caes. I'd love to improve my bhop ability as well.
Closed

Issue Tools
Subscribe to this issue