Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Projects > Fortress Forever > Feature

Auto-bhop trimp suggestion Issue Tools
issueid=181 06-22-2009 08:26 PM
QUAD ROCKET
Auto-bhop trimp suggestion
Suggestion for auto-bhop

I read auto-bhop might be coming in an upcoming update and there would be a cvar too toggle between the auto-jump and the jump-queue.

A problem with the auto-jump would be trimping. If you hit a ramp/certain flat surfaces with auto-jump you would instantly do a trimp. This could be very annoying as you might go shooting into the air when you don't want and loose some horizontal velocity.

What if when using auto-jump it were made so you had to let go of jump, then hold it again to do a trimp. So basically the first jump of when you start to hold your jump key is the only one that can count for a trimp.

It's pretty much like using a jump-queue only to do a trimp.
Issue Details
Issue Type Feature
Project Fortress Forever
Category General Game
Status Rejected
Priority 4
Suggested Version 2.3
Implemented Version (none)
Votes for this feature 2
Votes against this feature 1
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

06-23-2009 08:26 AM
Gets tickled by FF

I have to say it's quite an interesting idea and would stop doing things you didnt mean to do.. However its then another complication... I'm torn but I think we should review this
06-23-2009 05:37 PM
QUAD ROCKET

I doubt it would really be that hard to code in. It could easily be done with just a boolean.

As soon as you release your jump key: bCanTrimp = true;
As soon as you jump once: bCanTrimp = false;
08-31-2009 05:48 PM

I think, like many people, you're getting confused between a trimp and a double jump.

Double jump simply adds vertical velocity and doesnt remove any horizontal velocity, so it doesnt slow you down. Auto jump triggers a lot of double jumps.

Trimps are only activated at around 550 or 600 speed (i cant remember the exact number) which enables classes to conc / JP into ramps and bounce off them quite high.
08-31-2009 06:04 PM
QUAD ROCKET

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfterShock
Double jump simply adds vertical velocity and doesnt remove any horizontal velocity, so it doesnt slow you down.
Yeah, but the HL physics automatically slow down your horizontal velocity when you are going up/down, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfterShock
Auto jump triggers a lot of double jumps.
That's why I suggested this feature, so you don't unintentionally do a double-jump/trimp (whatever it is lol).
08-31-2009 06:37 PM

I've found the problem. The problem is that jumping as soon as you hit the ground on a sloped surface loses you horizontal speed. It's the same reason that if you stand still on a ramp and hit jump a few times you start moving down the ramp. I'll see what i can do.

To clarify, no, HL2 physics doesnt slow you down horizontally if you travel fast upwards. hud_speedometer 1 is a good test for this, as it only measures horizontal speed.

Double jumping onto a flat surface or a downwards slope maintains all your speed, where as djumping onto an upwards sloped surface doesn't. You can observe the same behaviour falling downwards onto an upwards sloping surface and jumping.

Issue Tools
Subscribe to this issue