Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Projects > Fortress Forever > Feature

Radar Grenade for Sniper Issue Tools
issueid=308 08-27-2010 08:24 PM
AaaaaaaTATATATATATATATA!
Radar Grenade for Sniper

Since the Sniper is currently pretty useless for O unless he's sniping sentries, and is not that great for D except on AvD maps, I was thinking that we could remedy his lack of a class grenade by gving him a support device that helps in both situations. There's a lot of other things that probably need to be done, but I think this is a good first step.

Here's the thing. I don't like the radar bullet. I feel it lasts too long and basically makes any single player hit by it totally useless. Not only are they horribly damaged, they can also be seen by everyone for an extremely long period of time. It can also be done from across the map and doesn't result in the Sniper doing less damage than normal because it's a default function of his rifle. I think a more fun, more fair, more versatile method using Sniper's radar function is in order.

A radar grenade sounds like a great way to give the Sniper a helpful, effective class grenade without actually changing his role. I got inspiration for this from Battlefield 2142. The function would be pretty similar. When the radar grenade goes off, it stays active for up to 10 seconds scanning the area and revealing enemy positions. It can also detect buildings. Realistically, he radius would not be tha large, maybe just enough to toss into a flag room and see if there's a Demoman camping next to it.

I would like to point out that the 2142 radar grenade also throws out smoke, but I don't think that would sit well with a lot of people as smoke grenades in video games tend to be more effective at causing lag than actually providing cover.

Alternatively, the smoke may actually be incorporated into the way the grenade tracks people. We could make up some business with the smoke actually being many millions of tiny radar tansmitters. Anyone who walks through the smoke gets tagged by the transmitters, but as long as they stay out of the snoke they will not show up with radar tags.
Issue Details
Issue Type Feature
Project Fortress Forever
Category Classes (Scout/Engineer/etc)
Status Rejected
Priority 5 - Medium
Suggested Version Undefined
Implemented Version (none)
Votes for this feature 0
Votes against this feature 0
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

08-27-2010 08:38 PM
Banned

The built-in wallhack is inherently broken.
09-04-2010 05:57 PM

this is going in the new call of duty, i think it could be useful but its like wall hacks unless you only had 1 per life, that be the only way id see it work. and it have to work where you throw it it explodes and discovers anything in the area.