Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Projects > Fortress Forever > Bug

Killed by certain weapons delays respawn time Issue Tools
issueid=112 02-06-2009 07:33 PM
Nade Whore
Killed by certain weapons delays respawn time

This happens to me all the time when I play, and it generally occurs when shot by a sniper rifle or killed by a flamethrower, although it's happened from other weapons as well. Doesn't matter the server or map, this can happen any time. This has happened for some time now, at least since 2.0, and I've done a fresh install for 2.2 and it still happens. I'm not sure if this also happens with auto respawn enabled.

Basically, every time I'm killed with a sniper rifle, I immediately hit Fire, Duck or Jump to try to initiate myself to respawn, and there is sometimes up to a 2 second delay before I can do anything. On most weapons, I respawn immediately when I hit any of those keys to respawn.
Issue Details
Project Fortress Forever
Category Classes (Scout/Engineer/etc)
Status Confirmed
Priority 1 - Highest
Affected Version 2.2
Fixed Version (none)
Users able to reproduce bug 5
Users unable to reproduce bug 0
Assigned Users Elmo
Tags (none)

02-06-2009 10:56 PM
G9-

Yes i have noticed this also, not a whole lot but it has happen to me before too.
02-07-2009 03:39 AM
Keep On Keepin' On

Happens all the time D:
08-31-2009 03:06 PM

Can you test this with cl_autoreload 0 to see if thats part of the problem
11-27-2009 01:37 PM
Gets tickled by FF

confirmed this bug but need to find cause... need to remember to try autoreload 0
11-28-2009 08:29 AM
Kawaii! ルーキー

i always thought since i died instantly by a sniper it just felt longer to respawn. lol
11-28-2009 01:12 PM
Gets tickled by FF

nah, happened when i got killed point blank with a shotgun yesterday ;/

Before now I just kinda accepted that I didn't always spawn straight away. Didn't even consider it a bug - wierd.
11-28-2009 05:06 PM

I've noticed this too and yeah just kinda passed it off as general annoyance. But thinking on it it would make since that it's a bug lol. I guess we'll all just have to try and pay attn to when this is happening and what your doing moments before.
11-28-2009 05:28 PM
Gets tickled by FF

yeah. well its only now it's in the forefront of my mind that I'll start realising what does it.. just like grenade spam issue making you drop the conc (which should be fixed too)

I think this one, that one ^^ and the SG nail bug ones are actually quite important ones to sort out but probably the hardest to find the cause out :p
06-12-2011 06:48 PM
Nade Whore

Is this issue still being looked into or has been fixed?
02-28-2012 11:50 AM
Gets tickled by FF

Hmm. I remember doing lots of experiments with someone about this very bug...

I'm sure I noted it on a forum post somewhere and I don't know if it was fixed. It was to do with prediction or something like that. It only happened when being killed by weapons that were predicted (or not predicted - I forget).
02-29-2012 04:38 AM
Nade Whore

It still happens frequently in current FF.
03-05-2012 05:32 AM

Happens to me maybe once a day. Was just about to say something. Also you mentioned something about concs dropping in an unrelated bug. That happens to me. and it really should because I have double tap grenades, and pretty fresh keys that don't stick. You related it to grenade spam but it usually happens to my spawn concs.
03-06-2012 01:45 PM

A guess at the spawn gren problem would be:

-> You die and press grenade button and fire button at the same time
-> Client sees grenade button then fire. Assumes you are not allowed to prime a grenade since you are dead.
-> Packets from your client saying what you pressed are sent to the server.
-> Packets from the client take different routes across the network and arrive in the wrong order
-> Server sees you pressing fire first, THEN pressing grenade
-> Client incorrectly predicts that the grenade is not primed, server primes your grenade.

This is assuming that packets aren't timestamped or framestamped, or maybe pressing fire and grenade in the same frame causes issues.. I'm unsure exactly how source engine handles this.
08-18-2012 02:09 AM
Nade Whore

This is now the most annoying non-class specific bug in the game, fyi. :D

I'd like to help squash this bug. What can I do to test it further? Yesterday I was playing and got killed by a super shotgun blast. It took a good 5 seconds for me to respawn. D:
08-18-2012 03:24 AM
internet user

I've been chasing this one for a while to be honest. out of curiousity, anyone have a short demo where it happens?
08-18-2012 03:40 AM
Nade Whore

I do not, but I'll record something tonight and see if I can replicate it.

Seems like it happens only with hitscan weapons. If killed with an RPG or grenade, it spawns me instantly.
08-18-2012 07:12 AM
Gets tickled by FF

I'm sure I tracked this already and found it was lag predicted stuff.
08-18-2012 03:38 PM
Nade Whore

Here's a demo of it anyway: mildsclan.com/FF/demoooo.dem

I got it to replicate near the end of the video after the guy who helped test went pyro and killed me with flamethrower.

If it is based on lag predicted stuff, is there a way to fix it going forward?
08-18-2012 04:09 PM
internet user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elmo
I'm sure I tracked this already and found it was lag predicted stuff.
doh, ok!
08-18-2012 04:13 PM
internet user

Quote:
Originally Posted by KubeDawg
If it is based on lag predicted stuff, is there a way to fix it going forward?
not easily, that stuff is terribly complex. i tried to revamp the nade stuff and it was a nightmare

Issue Tools
Subscribe to this issue