10th Class Concept Issue Tools
issueid=410 12-12-2012 06:23 AM
10th Class Concept
concept for a 10th class

Hello Development Team of FF

My name is Zenobius Iratoo

and my ingame name is Yermiah

I have been and played the Team Fortress series since it's inception

it may not be known to anyone else, but I am the guy who "created" the concept of what would become the Engineer class

I'm fully saying it, but, indirectly, I came up with the Engineer class

when QWTF was born, I was merely 5-6 years old loved watching my brother play, I never got to truly play in QWTF but my brother saw how much I liked watching him play that that he even took me to the first Quakecon and I told him of my idea for a class that he then put on a website and I guess that came true.

time went by and TFC went by, I suddenly heard that TF2 was released, I quickly went to buy it and I found it to be a wonderful game, then my heart instantly broke when the original team fortress guys who worked on it sold out and it became a sell out game with the addition of "unlocks....."

Then I saw, at the same time, a Source engine mod called Fortress Forever; as a guy who grew up with the Team Fortress series, Fortress Forever is by far a very innovative mod. TF2 is more innovative, but given how, in it's current condition, makes it a very unbalanced game compared to FF.

getting to the real point of this thread, I, Yermiah, would like to contribute to the Team Fortress series a second time and present a 10th class.

The Builder/Construction Worker

Niche: can modify the map by building structures to aid his team.

Class Stance: Defensive type

Counters: He Counters no class

Countered By: All classes that have at least an explosive (meaning except scout)

Base Health: 90

Base Armor: 90

Primary Weapon: Plasma Gun (similar to the Plasma Gun from DOOM) that deals 13 damage per hit at 50 rounds with 150 reserve ammo

Secondary Weapon: Single Barrel Shotgun with 50 reserve ammo

Melee: Hammer/Special Crowbar

Speed: 100%

Primary Grenade: Normal Frag

Special Grenade: Electrical Grenade - a special grenade that shocks anyone within it's radius.

Functions/Mechanics: Can build bridges/bridgeways, fortifications like sandbang covers and short walls called structures.

Structures are more susceptible to explosives and melee weapons. Explosive weapons and melee weapons do 1.25x more damage. sandbag cover walls are not as susceptible to damage from explosives but are still vulnerable to melee weapons. Structures have 100% invincibility from any non-explosive or non-melee weaponries.

Structures are built from two intervals, first interval is the base of the structure, which the Builder must choose whether to make a bridge base, or a cover base to make either a sandbag cover or short wall, each base costs about 100 metal to construct in 6 seconds, then the Builder (depending on the base) builds the final interval of the structure at 120 metal.

each structure has a health of 240; all structures have a length, and size limit and, unlike buildings, have no levels.

Resources: The Builder uses metal like the Engineer to build structures, this promotes teamwork in the sense that the Engineer and Builder have to work together to get defenses up.

Comments/Concerns/Questions are all welcome for this idea.
Issue Details
Issue Type Feature
Project Fortress Forever
Category Classes (Scout/Engineer/etc)
Status Suggested
Priority 3
Suggested Version Undefined
Implemented Version (none)
Votes for this feature 1
Votes against this feature 2
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

12-12-2012 07:56 AM
Nade Whore

I like the idea of a plasma gun, but I don't think the idea of having more buildables will do much in the way of helping the team. Plus, imagine how much a player could grief with it. FF is simply too fast paced for something like that and if you were to find a way to design it so it would work in the FF environment, I'd rather it be given to the Engineer, as the engi already builds stuff like the SG/dispenser.

How I imagine the electrical grenade in my head would be like one of these:

And if you get near it, you get shocked and leaving you with unwanted symptoms afterward. That sounds pretty neat. FF already has a shock death symbol too.

All in all it's a nice concept to think about, I just don't know how well it could be implemented.
12-12-2012 09:03 AM

My initial thought upon seeing "10th class" was no way. We don't need that. I read your post and I thought it was interesting. But I don't think it really fits with FF. I don't think it'd really add anything good or match the pace of the game.

And then I thought, hey, we've already got a tenth class anyways. The civilian.

But then that kind of got me thinking more. Maybe the builder could fit into the game in the same way that the civilian fits into tfc and FF. If we could make a game mode and a map or two built around the concept of your class, then maybe it could work.

Each team has an objective to reach with a number of obsticles barring the way. The builder would work on helping his team to the objective, while his team mates can either choose to protect their builder and his constructs, or go wreak havic on the the enemy teams builder. >;}

Unfortunately that's the only way I see something like this happening, and that would be quite an undertaking. Wether a worthwhile one or not, I can't really tell.

It's good that you're trying to bring something new and creative to the table. It's this kind of stuff that could mold FF into it's own unique take on the fortress genre.

I don't really think FF needs any more classes in it's typical ctf, avd, cp game modes. Although I will say, if you have your heart set on coming up with new classes for FF, something outside of buildables would be better. As moto stated, we already got the engy for that.
12-12-2012 01:49 PM

Adding a game mode like tower deffense/fortress defense with the civilian using structure buildables would be a very fun and itneresting out look on FF play. Ofcourse you would have all classes in the game the same way in this game mode, but the structure civilian would be the key class that at least 1 or 2 people could play on the deffense side for towers/obstacules. This would be a fun way to do tower defend in FF. Another fun spin on it would be to have a flag at the end of the defense guanlet that you had to take back to your base through newly constructed obsticules as well.

Intersting thought on a 10th class, however as stated above, it does not fit the pace of this game. TF2 would more so find use/benefit of a 10th contruction class.
12-12-2012 03:35 PM

thank you all for your comments and concerns

the true base of the Builder is designed that a class that changes the environment to give his team the advantage.

I'm pretty sure the FF team can spruce up my concept of the class to fit the pacing of the game.
12-12-2012 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nergal
I'm pretty sure the FF team can spruce up my concept of the class to fit the pacing of the game.

Well practically the entire community that plays FF is considered the FF team lol.

There is currently 4-5 people working on the game as a whole as far as developing is concerned, right now mainly 2-3 are active currently. Even if the 4-5 agree with your ideas on the construction class it would still take a long time to implement it to Beta testing, and assuming it held up and got good reviews you might see it in the game 2-3 years from now at best. Long story short i wouldn't count on this 10th class concept realistically happening.
12-12-2012 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drakonal
Well practically the entire community that plays FF is considered the FF team lol.

There is currently 4-5 people working on the game as a whole as far as developing is concerned, right now mainly 2-3 are active currently. Even if the 4-5 agree with your ideas on the construction class it would still take a long time to implement it to Beta testing, and assuming it held up and got good reviews you might see it in the game 2-3 years from now at best. Long story short i wouldn't count on this 10th class concept realistically happening.
Buzz killer.. I think the building class would be a good addition as a side project for a different game mod. It seems like it would be fun to test out as a skill environment of playing like kind of an escape map deal. Where one engineer works with the construction guy to build up to escape obstacles. As far as a CTF aspect no way, there are already classes that are developed that don't benefit CTF now that need worked on. I like the idea a lot seems like something fun to play with a friend that engies but isn't practical to a competitive environment that results in movement control and blocking movement by blocks like that aren't benefical.
12-13-2012 02:54 PM

what all the people above me said ^
12-13-2012 04:29 PM

im not gonna bullshit anyone, i am angry that nobody wants this implemented....

I don't see anyone else making new class ideas or even thinking them up with original stuff....
12-13-2012 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nergal
im not gonna bullshit anyone, i am angry that nobody wants this implemented....

I don't see anyone else making new class ideas or even thinking them up with original stuff....

Well that's mainly because the class system that we have which is the same class system, and same ammount of classes sense 2001 has pretty much worked great.

Instead of thinking of a 10th class to add find ways to make the two current classes better for this type of game. Pyro/Sniper for example are the two classes that do not get played much, and they don't bring much use to this pace of game. Think of origional ideas to make these two classes better, not adding another class that is in essense the same thing as the engineer that you allegidly had a hand in helping create in the first place.
12-13-2012 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drakonal
Well that's mainly because the class system that we have which is the same class system, and same ammount of classes sense 2001 has pretty much worked great.

Instead of thinking of a 10th class to add find ways to make the two current classes better for this type of game. Pyro/Sniper for example are the two classes that do not get played much, and they don't bring much use to this pace of game. Think of origional ideas to make these two classes better, not adding another class that is in essense the same thing as the engineer that you allegidly had a hand in helping create in the first place.
whats wrong with the pyro and sniper? they are how they are, sniper is single target assassination for long range, while pyro is a short-mid range attack class with medium speed, health, and armor. Everything seems fine; I don't like the overpressure or slowfield grenade for heavy though, heavy is supposed to be a big guy that has a big gun and slow movement as defense, not slow everything down, especially when it takes no skill to stop a scout dead. Give him back his MIRV and put the mouse2 to switch to shotgun like soldier has.
12-13-2012 08:07 PM
Nade Whore

Sniper is basically the most useless class in the game, and needs to be redone completely. I vote for a Sniper Railgun for his main rifle with an automatic version of the same gun as his secondary rifle, but ultimately I think the rifle would be better as a projectile based weapon instead of a hitscan one. Projectile weapons seem to do better in this game than hitscan ones aside from shotguns. He could also use a secondary grenade like a flash nade or something that would actually help his team, like my radio tag grenade idea that is similar to the hedgehog grenade from the game Resistance for the PS3, but when hit it would radio tag the target and do some damage.

Pyro, while somewhat nerfed in this new patch, is still pretty overpowered and is in good need of fixing. I would prefer a flamable gas grenade as opposed to the current napalm, which when it activates, it releases a cloud of gas and once the cloud is big enough, a spark ignites the whole thing, setting anyone within it on fire. The pyro could also preemptively use his flamethrower/IC to ignite the gas sooner than it would on its own.

Medic needs a medigun instead of throwable med packs and his medkit. People disagree with me, but I'm sticking to my guns because I think it's a good idea, if implemented correctly.

Soldier, demo, engi, HW Guy are all good to go, don't really need much change at all.

Scout could use another type of grenade like a better version of caltrops or shit I don't know. havent really thought about another type of nade for scout.

Spy could have some better mechanics as far as cloaking is concerned, but for the most part it's a fun class to play as is.
12-14-2012 03:32 AM

don't get analpained that people don't support your idea.

it wasn't that great an idea in the first place.

just move on, we don't need more classes to water down the gameplay - it's nice as it is with 9+civvy.
12-14-2012 04:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raynian
don't get analpained that people don't support your idea.

it wasn't that great an idea in the first place.

just move on, we don't need more classes to water down the gameplay - it's nice as it is with 9+civvy.

thats the reason why I'm analpained, I hate that the Team Fortress series is now "perfect" no real room for improvement or innovation such as a 10th class.....

I like FF alot, it's classic and great but there are certain mechanics that draws me away from it, I like TF2 because it has great mechanics over FF and innovation of the overall Team Fortress series but is seriously unbalanced due to extra weapons that change playstyles and deviate every class away from what they were originally....

If everybody believes the Pyro is overpowered, why not set the afterburn damage to a flatrate like 3 or 4, and have it ignore armor and not damage armor.
12-14-2012 04:59 AM
Nade Whore

Now that's an idea I can get behind.
12-14-2012 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KubeDawg
Now that's an idea I can get behind.
If I help solve all the current class-specific problems with FF, can my idea please have the input it deserves?

if that'll happen, I'll definitely help out.

and I promise no "buffs without skill" kind of stuff like Valve put in TF2....

Issue Tools
Subscribe to this issue