Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Projects > Fortress Forever > Bug

Character freezes when I try to record a demo Issue Tools
issueid=335 02-03-2011 02:47 PM
Nade Whore
Character freezes when I try to record a demo

Sometimes when I am in game and try to record a demo, my character freezes. I cannot move but I can hear everyone around me moving. My mic doesn't work at that point so I have to type retry in console, reconnect to the server and start the demo over again. The demo works when I try on reconnect.

I've seen some error messages pop up in my console when this happens, so next time it occurs, I'll make sure to post the console details. This has also happened in the past, so it's not specific to 2.41.
Issue Details
Project Fortress Forever
Category General Game
Status Unconfirmed
Priority 7 - Med/Low
Affected Version Undefined
Fixed Version (none)
Users able to reproduce bug 1
Users unable to reproduce bug 0
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

02-03-2011 03:57 PM
Banned

This has been a problem for some time. You can't really do anything about it. Sometimes, you record the demo, other times, you just freeze. I've found that immediately closing the console and going back to the game after recording seems to reduce the chance of a freeze.
02-03-2011 04:26 PM
WhenNailGrenWillOut?

While starting to record the demo, do not move at all. I find that this way reduces the chances of the player freezing. :)
02-03-2011 04:46 PM
Nade Whore

So just stand still for a certain amount of time after I start recording? This seems to do it to me as soon as I start recording.
02-03-2011 04:57 PM
WhenNailGrenWillOut?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KubeDawg
So just stand still for a certain amount of time after I start recording? This seems to do it to me as soon as I start recording.
I'm not really sure, but yeah, standing a few secs after starting to record seems to do it for me.

I'll try out various ways to make it freeze you in-game. I'll post here if I find some sort of real fix.
02-03-2011 06:37 PM
Slayer of humans

ya this was reported a while back a couple of times.

I find that if I start recording a demo right away when I first load up the game, I have 0 problems. But if I wait 5 or 10 minutes then try to record a demo it locks up on me.
02-04-2011 07:10 PM

What others said. If there are lots of people in a server, lots of movement and entities flying around, I have a good chance of locking up. If I'm just recording myself, alone in the server, I never crash. I've gone 20 demos in a row without crashing.

Try to get a demo started as you join a server, or at the start of the map.
02-11-2011 07:08 PM
Pew pew ze beams

same happens here, i juust freeze up when recording a demo wich sux.