Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Projects > Fortress Forever > Feature

Schtop changes Issue Tools
issueid=396 06-23-2012 02:44 AM
Nade Whore
Schtop changes
Changes to the map Schtop

The ladder outside each base is not long enough to reach most of the time. You literally have to jump out the water like a friggin dolphin to climb it. Water strafing/sharking to the ladder doesn't work because, well, holding the JUMP key makes you also JUMP off ladders.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/kubedaw...59652833568322

Also, is there any way to make the water entrance more accessible? For instance, lowering the water level to about half the height of the water tunnel entrance would allow you yo shark your way through the tunnel fairly quickly. If the water level is lowered, either lower the platform at the end of the tunnel, or add a new ladder to climb.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/kubedaw...59652833556970

Finally, it can be difficult sometimes to throw a flag through the bars near security. Is this how it is supposed to work or could it be improved?
Issue Details
Issue Type Feature
Project Fortress Forever
Category Mapping
Status Suggested
Priority 7 - Med/Low
Suggested Version Undefined
Implemented Version (none)
Votes for this feature 2
Votes against this feature 0
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

06-23-2012 07:50 AM

The water ladder right out side of base always pisses me off, :P. I feel like the security bars are fine. If you really just stop and take a second to aim, you should be able to get it out of the bars easy.
06-23-2012 09:06 AM

THAT LADDER. MOTHER OF GOD.

Yes, that's been a pain of mine since the first day I played on schtop, that would be a great fix.

I remember my first schtop pickup I couldn't even get up that ladder for 2-3 tries at it, I felt like I was failing my team. It was a bad experience that I feel permanently scarred me.

A fix would be nice. :3
06-23-2012 09:15 AM
WhenNailGrenWillOut?

I never had any problems with that ladder, ever.
06-23-2012 05:31 PM

Is there a reason why it's shorter than the ladders for the center of the bridge going across the map?
06-24-2012 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moosh
I never had any problems with that ladder, ever.
a ladder should never require a second thought to use in a map especially in a fast paced game. I've died/killed because of that god for saken thing so many times. an unnecessary pain that is only left in because someones to lazy to change it.
06-25-2012 03:07 PM

Blame shadow, I don't think we ever got the .vmf for that map.
06-25-2012 11:29 PM
Nade Whore

shadow=clover? I saw clover on about a week or two ago on my server. If I see her again, I'll ask about this map.
06-25-2012 11:38 PM
Stuff Do-er

Haha, I forgot about him pretending to be a girl. Yeah, that guy.
06-26-2012 01:20 AM
crystaLcity

that ladder is very climbable. i would however not mind if someone lengthened it slightly.
06-26-2012 10:12 AM
WhenNailGrenWillOut?

shadow=shadow00caster?
06-26-2012 07:01 PM
Stuff Do-er

Quote:
Originally Posted by moosh
shadow=shadow00caster?
No, different person.
11-07-2012 05:09 AM

KubeDawg messaged me on Steam.
I'll look into it.
11-07-2012 05:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clover2
KubeDawg messaged me on Steam.
I'll look into it.
It's wonderful to hear clover.

But honestly my biggest problem with schtop any more is how intensively it kills FPS. Honestly it's a beautiful map. I REALLY like the aesthetics of it. But even when i get 300 fps on other maps, schtop will bring me down to at least 60 during regular play. And for other people with a little less horsepower that translates to almost unplayable. Especially when the game gets heated and there's plenty of shit blowing up.
01-08-2013 06:04 AM

I have updated the map to address every issue raised here (except lowering the water level, I did not do that). Still looking into the alleged FPS issues.

I am open to further suggestions.
01-08-2013 07:27 AM
Gets tickled by FF

Woo! FPS issues fixed?? That was the only issue for me and would make the map much much more playable/friendly!
01-08-2013 07:45 AM
Nade Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by clover2
I have updated the map to address every issue raised here (except lowering the water level, I did not do that). Still looking into the alleged FPS issues.

I am open to further suggestions.
Awesome! You da man.
01-08-2013 10:24 AM
Gets tickled by FF

Whoops I missed the "still looking into the FPS.." sorry.

Main FPS issues are around switch which is obviously quite a problem regarding playability. Would be worth removing the animated textures to test if they cause a problem - though I assume from your reply you don't personally get FPS issues. N.B. If I remember correctly the problem is not captured on the graphics debug.

If it helps at all the problems are likely CPU based not Graphics as my graphics card is very decent but CPU old. Even so as a developer mapper/code I can't pin down or determine why it's such a problem. The only difference with Schtop to other maps are the volume of animated textures.

P.S. Are you Shadow then?
01-08-2013 10:44 AM

There's also usually a lot of lag when the flag is FD. I think it's because of the water. Phantom had similar issues when defending around the water entrance. I'm not sure if that was alleviated when squeek changed the water or not. Flag has been defended phant water a few times since, and I haven't really noticed a problem.
01-08-2013 11:19 AM
Gets tickled by FF

Quote:
Originally Posted by FDA_Approved
There's also usually a lot of lag when the flag is FD. I think it's because of the water. Phantom had similar issues when defending around the water entrance. I'm not sure if that was alleviated when squeek changed the water or not. Flag has been defended phant water a few times since, and I haven't really noticed a problem.
There are some outdoor issues but I think that's still related to whatever is causing the indoor fps issues as we're still often rendering indoor when outside.

Probably better to say if the indoor issues are fixed then outdoor will improve anyway - I believe.
01-08-2013 07:49 PM

I suspect the FPS issues are related to poor vvis optimization.
At some point, I must have ran out of brush faces and didn't put many hint brushes in. Propper allows me to free up some faces and add those. I also see some strange brushes that should be func_details but are not. I do not think that the animated textures are the main problem, but I will test them as well.

Issue Tools
Subscribe to this issue