Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Projects > Fortress Forever > Feature

Updated Team Selection screen? Issue Tools
issueid=376 03-07-2012 10:23 PM
Nade Whore
Updated Team Selection screen?

Currently, this is how the Team Selection menu shows up:
http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/50...21BFBE3B05B37/

To me, the first thing a player should see when they enter my server is the MOTD, basically the rules of the server. Now, a lot of people don't bother to read MOTDs, but I would argue that if the MOTD is clearly in front of their eyes as soon as they join my server, then I am covering my ass if someone breaks a rule and uses an excuse saying they weren't aware of the rules.

Yes, an MOTD section appears above the Team Selection options, but afaik, it can't be modded to display images or change font/font color/font size.

For example, it'd be nice to have your own personal MOTD to attract people to your server:
http://mildsclan.com/milds/motd/motd.html

^ can't find html doc for this, that's why it's blank.

^ this was an old MOTD.

Also, is having a Map Flythrough a good feature as it stands now? It seems kinda out of date or useless, even for new players.

What if instead, the option to Spectate would give the user an ability to view the flythrough if they so choose. That'd clear up quite a bit of space on that left side of the Team Selection screen.

Also, I understand the objective and map image, but do both need to really be on the Team Select screen? Objective could remain while removing the map image, or maybe have a smaller thumbnail elsewhere on the page. After all, the map image is displayed while each map is loading and while it may take 1 or 2 times of loading a map to read all the text for each map before the map loads, I don't feel it's needed on the Team Select screen.
Issue Details
Issue Type Feature
Project Fortress Forever
Category General Game
Status Accepted
Priority 5 - Medium
Suggested Version Undefined
Implemented Version (none)
Votes for this feature 0
Votes against this feature 0
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

03-07-2012 10:29 PM
Stuff Do-er

An improved MOTD has been planned for a while. This is how I was thinking of implementing it:

03-07-2012 11:25 PM

I think this is a fantastic idea. It would definitely give the servers a bit more personality, as well as obviously explaining important rules when the player connects.

I know this is a long shot, but it would be really neat if there was a brief 30-second movie tutorial that is automatically played when a player connects to a certain game mode for the first time that is displayed even before the MOTD. There are videos for certain TF2 maps, unless I'm mistaken.
03-08-2012 12:00 AM
Nade Whore

CaptainAhab, unfortunately I believe video is only available through the Orange Box sdk, not Source, but it'd certainly be interesting.

I wonder what types of embedding could be a possibility for video.

I played CS:S just the other day and joined a server where a video advertisement played automatically when I connected. Looks like it may have been using some sort of flash video. Was CS:S updated to the OB sdk at some point?

Squeek, that looks nice. I like that a lot in fact, especially if it supports HTML. Just make sure to get rid of the Server Info bar at the top of Team Select screen and make a link that brings up the MOTD, maybe above or below the View Flythrough button or something.
03-08-2012 12:17 AM

Aye, the one annoying thing that I find with the ability to put video into the MOTD is that a lot of the time servers will put up long advertisements for various gaming peripherals, and even if you click the cancel button, it lags for a little bit, and/or the noise carries over into the game for 15-20 seconds.

Not saying servers in FF would do this (the game doesn't have a large enough audience, in my mind, to warrant that sort of thing), but I remembered seeing endless ads for the Steelseries Sensei on half the TF2 servers I played on before I completely dropped it for this game.
03-08-2012 03:01 AM
UI Designer
Front-End Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KubeDawg
CaptainAhab, unfortunately I believe video is only available through the Orange Box sdk, not Source, but it'd certainly be interesting.

I wonder what types of embedding could be a possibility for video.

I played CS:S just the other day and joined a server where a video advertisement played automatically when I connected. Looks like it may have been using some sort of flash video. Was CS:S updated to the OB sdk at some point?

Squeek, that looks nice. I like that a lot in fact, especially if it supports HTML. Just make sure to get rid of the Server Info bar at the top of Team Select screen and make a link that brings up the MOTD, maybe above or below the View Flythrough button or something.

You can always load a swf file and have a video play ;D
03-08-2012 03:12 AM
Nade Whore

DO IIIIT
03-08-2012 08:23 PM
UI Designer
Front-End Developer

I should of added, if the web engine within HL2 2006 can support Flash :D
03-09-2012 08:40 AM
if(0>1){printf("broked");}

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricey
I should of added, if the web engine within HL2 2006 can support Flash :D
A tf2 server I play on use to have a jukebox addon in their MOTD which used flash and pulled songs from spotify.

HL2 2006 may still only be IE based. Anything that plays on mac is going to be webkit based like the steam client/game overlay. Either way I think it should be able to play flash.
03-09-2012 01:14 PM
UI Designer
Front-End Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixel
A tf2 server I play on use to have a jukebox addon in their MOTD which used flash and pulled songs from spotify.

HL2 2006 may still only be IE based. Anything that plays on mac is going to be webkit based like the steam client/game overlay. Either way I think it should be able to play flash.
Yea, I'm hoping that the web engine was tied directly into steam. If so, I'll have access to HTML5/CSS3, which means crazy in-game MOTDs and other cool stuff.
03-17-2012 04:52 AM
internet user

cs:s, dod:s were updated to arngh bawks a while back, fyi.
i think might be SOL on ingame browser on EP1 from the looks of it

Issue Tools
Subscribe to this issue