Fortress Forever

Fortress Forever (https://forums.fortress-forever.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://forums.fortress-forever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   TFCer dying to come back \ laptop questions (https://forums.fortress-forever.com/showthread.php?t=16937)

ryan_aaxxx 08-19-2008 01:04 AM

TFCer dying to come back \ laptop questions

Hello everyone!

I'm a TFCer from the 1.5 era until the last dying days of Steam. I clanned for a while from [neo] to eD| (with sai until he left for nX^| ) I played for a few others EcD|, also in a clan that HooK and i think

So my question is I'm getting a laptop soon, which I'll be using for school\music recording. My friend has a stock Gateway that runs Ableton\Cubase\Serato just fine so I'm not too worried about that, what I want to know is....

1.) Is it feasible to play HL2 Source games on a stock laptop? I'm thinking about buying something on the cheaper side (minimal ram\video card) and purchasing more ram and a video card for my laptop seperately. I've done some estimations and depending on the card, this situation works for my budget. But is it worth it? Are there latops\ or laptop video cards that can handle this stuff?

2.) Perhaps the more important question: How is the community so far? Whats the average OVERALL population for the game? (you like how many people are generally online when browsing for servers)

3.) Do I need to buy HL2 to play Fortress-Forever? Do I need to buy HL2 for TF2?

I think that is all. Please feel free to give me general advice on buying a budget laptop. I know it seems like the people with the budgets are always asking for the most. Just let me know whats up. Thanks a lot!

zE 08-19-2008 01:14 AM

ye my laptop runs hl2 pretty good, but i really prefer to play it on my pc, bigger screen. space on keyboard etc.
About plp playng it, the comunity its not very big atm, but u will find always plp to play with, and hopefully 2.1 will bring even more players. Yes u need hl2 in order to play FF, to play tf2 u will need tp buy the orange box or to buy the game(tf2) separately.

ryan_aaxxx 08-19-2008 01:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by =AS= zE
ye my laptop runs hl2 pretty good, but i really prefer to play it on my pc, bigger screen. space on keyboard etc.
About plp playng it, the comunity its not very big atm, but u will find always plp to play with, and hopefully 2.1 will bring even more players. Yes u need hl2 in order to play FF, and no u dont need to buy hl2 for tf2, u will need tp buy the orange box or to buy the game separately.

Care to give the specs of your laptop compared to your resolution\frame rate etc? :] I noticed they already have some 5v5 league action so it must not be TOO small.

zE 08-19-2008 01:18 AM

hm i play with an almost 2 years old laptop, with recomended setting with 100 fps +-

my pc is not in my house tomorow ill post the laptop caractheristics

chilledsanity 08-19-2008 01:22 AM

2. It really varies on the time of day. I've seen as many as 30 - 40 people playing before (this is not counting the surge after the initial release), but it's usually more about 5 - 20. At the time of this post, I count:
-1 server with 22/22 people in it
-4 servers with exactly one person in them
-15 servers with no one in them

3. You need to buy TF2 or orange box to play TF2. You need to buy any Source game that includes the Source SDK Base to play FF. I believe the cheapest option is HL2 deathmatch. If you love TFC like I did, FF is going to be your best bet over TF2.

ryan_aaxxx 08-19-2008 01:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chilledsanity
2. It really varies on the time of day. I've seen as many as 30 - 40 people playing before (this is not counting the surge after the initial release), but it's usually more about 5 - 20.

3. You need to buy TF2 or orange box to play TF2. You need to buy any Source game that includes the Source SDK Base to play FF. I believe the cheapest option is HL2 deathmatch. If you love TFC like I did, FF is going to be your best bet over TF2.

Eek, thats it? :\ This game looks so promising and so much fun. I miss TFC SO MUCH. I haven't been keeping up to date completely with the updates, but I'm surprised the TFC community thinned so much with this conversion. It seemed like it is everything we needed to keep TFC going strong. I remember at least 10-15 clans still playing during the last days of Steam. Craip.

Also, where do I buy video cards for laptops? I didn't find probable filtering options on sites like newegg, tigerdirect, etc.

zE 08-19-2008 01:31 AM

if u played tfc u will enjoy ff like i did :) biggest problem with ff maybe is tf2 tbh, but the gameplay is completly diferent

chilledsanity 08-19-2008 01:41 AM

Quote:

Eek, thats it? :\ This game looks so promising and so much fun. I miss TFC SO MUCH.
I know, it sucks. If it's any comfort, I believe the playerbase for FF is going to grow. I plan to do a lot to raise awareness of its existence and show off its better elements. So the playerbase sucks at the moment, but believe me, if you want the TFC experience, FF is the way to go.

I CAN'T go back to TFC now that I've experienced the ragdolls in FF, they're just too awesome. I haven't heard of being able to upgrade the videocard on a laptop before, but I'd say a CPU will probably be the most important element, there are lots of physics calculations done in FF.

ryan_aaxxx 08-19-2008 01:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chilledsanity
I know, it sucks. If it's any comfort, I believe the playerbase for FF is going to grow. I plan to do a lot to raise awareness of its existence and show off its better elements. So the playerbase sucks at the moment, but believe me, if you want the TFC experience, FF is the way to go.

I CAN'T go back to TFC now that I've experienced the ragdolls in FF, they're just too awesome. I haven't heard of being able to upgrade the videocard on a laptop before, but I'd say a CPU will probably be the most important element, there are lots of physics calculations done in FF.

I'd hope so. I checked STA site and noticed minimal clanning, but still. Do people still play TFC on Steam? I don't want to go back. I imagine I'll get into TF2 as I've some old tfc friends who play. But I'll dedicate myself to FF as much as possible. I really can't wait.

laptop I'm looking at

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...:X:RTQ:US:1123

eternity94 08-19-2008 02:05 AM

Im no enthusiast but yes i do believe that laptop can run the source engine.

Phatman 08-19-2008 02:57 AM

Good luck upgrading the video card on your laptop. In almost every case, it's not going to happen. Memory is about the only thing other than the harddrive and cd/dvd rom that you can change out. If you want something that can handle HL2 games/mods, you're going to have to go balls out.

As for people playing, it really depends on the day and time. Some servers will be full near the end of the day, others, not so much. I've hung out in a server by myself playing around and practicing different jumps and people will pop in and soon it gets going.

Anyways, welcome to FF. It's a great game.

greenday5494 08-19-2008 08:17 AM

that will run FF fine, just turn down some of the settings

SmellyCat 08-19-2008 10:12 AM

I expect 2.1 to show some improvement to playerbase. The bhop changes alone have me interested in restarting playing FF.

ryan_aaxxx 08-19-2008 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phatman
Good luck upgrading the video card on your laptop. In almost every case, it's not going to happen. Memory is about the only thing other than the harddrive and cd/dvd rom that you can change out. If you want something that can handle HL2 games/mods, you're going to have to go balls out.

As for people playing, it really depends on the day and time. Some servers will be full near the end of the day, others, not so much. I've hung out in a server by myself playing around and practicing different jumps and people will pop in and soon it gets going.

Anyways, welcome to FF. It's a great game.

I guess I'll just have to settle for now, and when the time is right upgrade. I haven't gamed in a while and from what I've read Chrysis and the new Unreal are going to strangle the newest cards on the market now, so I'll perhaps wait to make a decent desktop in the near future. Just have to settle on medium settings, hopefully at least 1024 res ^_^

I'm really fucking excited about playing. Any constant jump scripts yet? ^_^

Quote:

Originally Posted by greenday5494
that will run FF fine, just turn down some of the settings

Good to know. I don't need amazing settings, I'm not going to have a lot of time to play as it is, maybe once or twice a week if I keep up with school. I think I read a review of them using the same laptop on HL2 and it got around 44fps with highest res and ultra settings, dipping down during peak action. Might've been a slightly different modeled video card though

Skanky Butterpuss 08-19-2008 07:37 PM

you dont need a constant jump script, FF has jump queuing a la quake. if you press space to jump and press and hold it again in midair, it jumps as soon as you hit the ground.

also, you definitely dont need a babyraping computer to play FF. i bought an Asus S96j laptop 2 years ago, and it plays ff just fine on decent settings. of course, i turn all my shit down low so i can maintain 100 FPS :)

Iggy 08-19-2008 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ryan_aaxxx
I'd hope so. I checked STA site and noticed minimal clanning, but still. Do people still play TFC on Steam? I don't want to go back. I imagine I'll get into TF2 as I've some old tfc friends who play. But I'll dedicate myself to FF as much as possible. I really can't wait.

laptop I'm looking at

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...:X:RTQ:US:1123

I still play TFC. Mostly on Drippy-'s 2fort server, but I hit some others once in a while for different maps. You can also join the community for d2f here: d2f

2.1 of FF is going to blow your mind, though. I have tf2, but honestly don't like it much. It's just too slow paced for my taste.

Any of the Source games SHOULD give you the capability to play. As was mentioned above, the Source:SDK is what you are looking for. I recently gifted a friend of mine a copy of HL2:episode 1 so that he could play FF.

ryan_aaxxx 08-20-2008 01:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skanky Butterpuss
you dont need a constant jump script, FF has jump queuing a la quake. if you press space to jump and press and hold it again in midair, it jumps as soon as you hit the ground.

also, you definitely dont need a babyraping computer to play FF. i bought an Asus S96j laptop 2 years ago, and it plays ff just fine on decent settings. of course, i turn all my shit down low so i can maintain 100 FPS :)

Good to know, I've found a pretty fly laptop on ebay, but it doesn't have 3gb, only 2. But I can upgrade, so I might go for it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=130247082989

That is great about the jumping, cause after 1.5 that jump script changed my life.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iggy
I still play TFC. Mostly on Drippy-'s 2fort server, but I hit some others once in a while for different maps. You can also join the community for d2f here: d2f

2.1 of FF is going to blow your mind, though. I have tf2, but honestly don't like it much. It's just too slow paced for my taste.

Any of the Source games SHOULD give you the capability to play. As was mentioned above, the Source:SDK is what you are looking for. I recently gifted a friend of mine a copy of HL2:episode 1 so that he could play FF.

Yea, I'll probably get steam cause I remember my log-on. It'd definitely be great to play for fun. Especially on such ridiculous specs.

I'm definitely pumped about FF. I lurked the forums since they were up. I've watched the game develop. I was highly addicted to TFC, fucking around on vent and mIRC, endless pickups, 2v2, 3v3 4v4 with trash talking delight.

Have they made congestus yet?

Circuitous 08-20-2008 01:34 AM

Yes.

Are you sure you've been lurking since '03?

pF 08-20-2008 01:37 AM

Congestus.. yeah. Great job as well.

squeek. 08-20-2008 01:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ryan_aaxxx
endless pickups, 2v2, 3v3 4v4 with trash talking delight.

Have they made congestus yet?

http://www.ffpickup.com/?p=map&map=ff_congestus

Two birds with one stone.