Fortress Forever

Fortress Forever (https://forums.fortress-forever.com/index.php)
-   Mapping (https://forums.fortress-forever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   2morforever (https://forums.fortress-forever.com/showthread.php?t=2487)

o_imbrifer 08-31-2005 10:12 PM

how?

o_ivaqual 08-31-2005 10:24 PM

you could do this by adding the command "-wadinclude nameofthemap" to hlcsg.exe.. of course that was for worldcraft and half life 1. i'm sure there must be the same thing for hammer though.

o_imbrifer 08-31-2005 11:58 PM

There is no more csg :-/

I've been searching around the net, but its apparently hard to find a tutorial on it.. I'll keep at it and see if I can. I just know it's something perposterously easy...

Circuitous 09-01-2005 12:07 AM

http://www.snarkpit.net/forums.php?f...ht=include,bsp

That thread may be of assistance.

o_kam 09-01-2005 07:44 AM

You want pakrat
http://www.geocities.com/cofrdrbob/pakrat.html
by the same guy who made VMEX, it's the bestest

o_nezumi 09-01-2005 10:56 AM

I should go to bed if I want to be up at noon (Pacific time). I'll be there, I hope.

o_imbrifer 09-01-2005 04:05 PM

Thanks for the tip, kaMIKazE - I'll recompile it, but for the test today, we'll stick with the already-released version :)

Update: I can't host the map right now, and there isn't much of a crowd - so I'm going to keep moving to my new place and we can worry about this later. Keep the comments coming if you'd like. They are much appreciated :D

o_elvis2049 09-01-2005 09:06 PM

i have only 1 consern.
and thats also in more maps.
you cant conc in them!
what i mean is that the walls are decorated with some pillars.
but thats stopping you in your conc.
maby try smoothing it our so you cant get stuck.

Mulchman MM 09-02-2005 12:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elvis2049
i have only 1 consern.
and thats also in more maps.
you cant conc in them!
what i mean is that the walls are decorated with some pillars.
but thats stopping you in your conc.
maby try smoothing it our so you cant get stuck.

walls can be clipped [like, put a clip brush over them] so that you can conc and stuff... hl1 maps did it a lot - see mulch_trench. the walls are all _-_-_ and it's all smooth.

o_nezumi 09-02-2005 08:21 AM

Here's a good question: To what extent will grenades in FF be physics objects? They won't still be the same point-entity things like they were in TFC, will they? Also, do clip brushes block phys objects? They do, don't they? (Cause they didn't block grenades in HL1).

o_etzell 09-02-2005 11:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nezumi
Here's a good question: To what extent will grenades in FF be physics objects? They won't still be the same point-entity things like they were in TFC, will they? Also, do clip brushes block phys objects? They do, don't they? (Cause they didn't block grenades in HL1).

It's been said that grenades won't be effected by physics. You can't rocket a nade out of the way. That being said, I doubt that the clip brushes will affect the grenades.

o_[wtf?]chemical burn 09-03-2005 05:39 AM

Clip brushes in hl1 only blocked players. Bullets, grens etc could pass right on through. HL2 has a few different types of clip to allow different things to pass through.

The map's lookin' sexy btw.

o_own3r 09-03-2005 12:28 PM

Its good looking but...

I played the test version of this its really good, i do have a few complaints though:

the floor texture inside looks iffy and almost like water more of a sandy texture would be better in my view.

Looking through the wholes in the walls and ceilings you can see missing brushes etc and in some walls near the water tunnel there are wholes (horizontal) in the wall.

THe map does not perform very well at all, it lags very seriously. I turned mat_wireframe on and in places you can see quite significant amounts of the interior containing masses of detail which i suspect is the cause, the solution to this is lowering the poly count in your detail and trying to do more with textures etc or changing the layout so less detail is visable. Also the outside areas which are visable from the inside could be made into a 3d skybox to save on resources.

I hope that helps.

o_imbrifer 09-04-2005 01:57 AM

Thanks a bunch, Own3r. The outside area where you can see the other outside area really lagged up the whole map. I tried cutting it by skybox, but you couldn't see the other part. Maybe I'll put in a wall or something to break down the VIS. I'll also snoop around and close some other places to make it friendlier on the graphics. I noticed that most of the graphics-heavy areas are on the inside of the right side(looking at it from the bridge) of the base - is this correct?

I'll see what I can do about seeing other parts of the base through sky holes. Thanks for the tip.

I'll also see if I can do a more grainy dirt/sand texture for the floor. Thanks again. I'll make the changes and hopefully release a new version at the end of this coming week, or some time in the week following that.

o_own3r 09-04-2005 09:27 AM

Yes

"I noticed that most of the graphics-heavy areas are on the inside of the right side(looking at it from the bridge) of the base - is this correct?"

Yes in my experience that is correct.

I have another suggestion for you aswell now:
THe floor inside the base with the iffy texture could be made into sections of displacements with nodraws behind them so it would look better and less blocky while not affecting performance since displacements are 'cheap' to render.

o_imbrifer 09-05-2005 01:24 AM

Thanks again, Own3r. I've addressed all the problems you brought up except for the part in the water entrance where the wall disappears for a minute. I just can't figure it out. I'll start a different thread to address it eventually.

The inside that used to be sand is now black dirt with some red spots, and it's all displacements. I killed the flickering light which made the speeds on the right side of the map better. I'll post the next version fairly soon, I think. Any more comments are thoroughly appreciated.

o_donny 09-14-2005 03:04 PM

This map looks like sh**

Just kidding :lol: It's ace.

Good thing it's not night map though :P

(400th post <3)

o_beavis 09-15-2005 11:19 PM

Wow very good. I can't wait to play FF. These maps I've been seeing of late are very professional.

o_imbrifer 09-16-2005 04:18 AM

Time for a bit of an update:

The map is looking just dandy, and all that's really left is flipping and recoloring. My computer, on the other hand, is fried. Don't really know what happened, but it won't turn on and it's more than the power supply. So I'm having some more-knowledgable-than-me computer geeks check it out, then I'll probably have to replace the motherboard and power supply. Hopefully nothing more than that. No worries about the map, since I have it on my USB Flash drive (woo ha). So it'll probably be another week or so before things are back and I can touch it up, but hell - FF isn't going to be out within a week, so y'all got nothing to sweat about. I'll update again when my pretty machine is dancing again.

o_yohan1973 09-16-2005 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Imbrifer
but it won't turn on and it's more than the power supply.

Man, I remember the first time I had a PSU die on me. I had a chick over the house and we went into the bedroom (where my computer is) and PUFF!!!! This nasty smoke and odor came out of my box and ruined the mood! lol Man that smell they put in those vacumme tube fuses is some real nasty smelling stuff and BOY does it linger!!!

As far as those flash drives go...I was going to buy one but found out that if I buy Anapod Explore I could just use my 40gig Ipod for storage...I still haven't bought it yet though...