Fortress Forever

Fortress Forever (https://forums.fortress-forever.com/index.php)
-   Other Games (https://forums.fortress-forever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   (PC) Dwarf Fortress (https://forums.fortress-forever.com/showthread.php?t=6902)

o_ivaqual 10-29-2006 09:45 PM

Dwarf Fortress

this game is insane

insane

basically it's an ascii game where you lead 7 dwarfs to build a fortress (other gamemodes exist too). concept sounds interesting ?

Quote:

Dwarf Fortress is a single-player fantasy game. You can control a dwarven outpost or an adventurer in a randomly generated, persistent world.

Although Dwarf Fortress is still in a work in progress, many features have already been implemented.

* The world is randomly generated with distinct civilizations, dozens of towns, hundreds of caves and regions with various wildlife.
* The world persists as long as you like, over many games, recording history and tracking changes.
* Command your dwarves as they search for wealth in the mountain.
o Craft treasures and furniture from many materials and improve these objects with precious metals, jewels and more.
o Defend yourself against attacks from hostile civilizations, the wilderness and the depths.
o Support the nobility as they make demands of your populace.
o Keep your dwarves happy and read their thoughts as they work and relax.
o Build floodgates to divert water for farming or to drown your adversaries.
o Much much more...
* Play an adventurer and explore, quest for glory or seek vengeance.
o Meet adversaries from previous games.
o Recruit people in towns to come with you on your journey.
o Explore the world without cumbersome plot restrictions.
o Accept quests from the town and civilization leaders.
o Retire and meet your old characters, then reactivate them again.
o Z coordinate allows you to move seamlessly between dungeon levels and scale pyramids fighting adversaries above and below.
* The combat model uses skills, body parts, wrestling, charging and dodging between squares, bleeding, pain, nausea, and much more.
* A dynamic weather model tracks wind, humidity and air masses to create fronts, clouds, rain storms and blizzards.
* Extended ASCII character set rendered in 16 colors (including black) as well as 8 background colors (including black).
the stuff you can do is astounding. i've been playing for hours and i still find all new kinds of things that can happen or that you can make happen. you can micromanage everything. the complexity and depth of the gameplay is breathtaking. if you can get around the (deliberately) crude graphics your social life is over. OVER I SAY.

Get Dwarf Fortress
http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/

Dwarf Fortress Wiki
http://dwarf.lendemaindeveille.com/index.php/Main_Page

Game Review #1
http://dubiousquality.blogspot.com/2...-fortress.html
Game Review #2
http://www.tleaves.com/weblog/archives/000683.html

o_ivaqual 10-29-2006 09:46 PM

Follow this tutorial at the beginning to get the general feel of what you have to do. Otherwise you won't know what the fuck and will be totally lost.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tutorial shamelessy stolen from the SA forums
So how do I play?

Playing is as easy as creating nuclear fusion using only the power of your mind, much like any roguelike game, so I'll offer a brief overview of your beginning game so you have some idea how to play (although there is also a reasonably good documentation in-game.)

First off, the controls. Most of everything in the game is controlled by the +- keys, the enter key, the space keys, and the arrow keys. Usually, the +- keys will move around in the command menu, the enter key will select something, the space key will back out of whatever menu you are in, and the arrow keys will move you around in the real map; but it's not 100% consistent. Be prepared to experiment.

You start off creating a world. Since every world's features, civilizations, legends and so on are randomly generated, no one is playing the same world. On the other hand, world generation can take a long time to ensure that you have a world capable of including everything; I've seen results anywhere between 75 and 175 rejections before it generated something. It will also take some time to generate the actual world; the landscape is fast, but civilization building and unit building is fairly slow. Thankfully, you will not have to do this often; each world contains 50 spots for Fortresses, and a large, large number of things to kill in Adventurer Mode.

Once you've done this, you can start a new game. There are three modes: Dwarf Fortress is the meat of the game, the city-building sim where you command dwarves. Adventurer Mode is the token roguelike, which currently consists of wandering through the world with whatever weapons you have until you get killed by monsters, or talking to people to find out the legends of the world, which then show up in Legends mode, which is basically an overview of what all has happened in your world (including a lot of stuff that only happened in the world gen portion); however, it's all secret at the start, so you have to find out about it in Adventurer Mode for it to show up.

Dwarf Fortress mode starts you out in the preparation screen. You can either select to Play Now!, which gives you a reasonable set of skills and equipment at a random starting spot, or prepare for the journey, which allows you to pick out all of this yourself with a pool of 200 points.

First you work out your dwarves. You won't need every skill at first, but you want people who can mine, chop wood and make wooden things, cut stone to make stone things, farm fields, fish, possibly hunt (but if you do take someone who can hunt, make sure to give him a weapon skill, ideally Marksdwarf.) However, any dwarf can learn anything if he's assigned the job, and their skills will increase as they use them, so don't feel the need to buy every skill in the list.

Next you'll need supplies. I myself have never been quite clear on what kinds of supplies are best; I usually increase my food supply by a bit and add in the other two types of seeds to ensure I can plant anything I might want later on, rather than having to rely on finding the seeds. You may also want to add in another pick, axe; or possibly weaponry, depending on how dangerous your starting area is. (Picks are the tool for mining, axes are the tool for wood chopping.)

Finally, you select your area. This costs no points, so pick a reasonably temperate area with good forestation, vegetation, and not too many things trying to kill you. You can pick a more dangerous area for greater challenge, but you run the risk of getting killed or not having enough resources, or countless other problems.

So, assuming you've done all this, all that remains is to hit e to embark and send your dwarves on their merry little way.

Not Dying in a variety of colorful ways
http://66.90.96.17/images/df3ccc.jpg

So, you're in front of a cliff face with a bunch of faces milling around a nine square of brown blocks (your wagon.) Time to start! First hit space to pause, so nothing stupid happens while you're telling your dwarves what to do. Then, hit TAB a few times to make the interface less annoying; you'll probably want to keep the command list up for now, but the world map is unimportant.

Next hit d. This will bring up your Designations list, for things like telling your dwarves what parts of the mountain to hollow out. Your cursor should be a yellow block; move it over to the mountain and pick a spot connecting with the outside, and designate an entrance to your soon-to-be fortress of evil. While you're at it, designate some trees for your carpenter to chop down in the same way, but don't designate too many; you want him to also have some free time to make stuff from those trees.

Now, exit out of that. Now hit p. This will bring up your stockpile designation list, which tells your dwarves where to put all the various trash that they find. Since it's only a designation, no one has to build these; they just pop into existence. Put down a Food, Wood, Stone, and Refuse designation at the bare minimum. Your stone designation should be a good size, as well, since you'll be pulling out a LOT of rock from your mining efforts.

Now, exit out of that and unpause. Your dwarves should get to work, moving stuff around, digging, and chopping trees. Watch them work uncomplainingly at back-breaking labor for no pay. Possibly giggle evilly. Once you've got some rocks, though, pause again and hit b. This will be one of your most visited windows; this is where you place things.

For now, you don't have most of the things to place, so find Workshops (or hit w from within this menu). Select a Mason's Workshop; it should go to a list of rock types you have. Probably short right now, but later this will be massive. Hit enter to pick any random type (use rocks, and not wood; wood is harder to come by, and you want to save it for other projects.)

Now you should have a 3x3 square of green Xs. The light green Xs indicate parts of the workshop that will be passable once it's complete, while the dark green Xs indicate parts that will be solid. For now, place it outside somewhere. Your mason dwarf should pick up a rock and lug it over to the workshop, and it should get finished.

Repeat the above process with a Carpenter's workshop now. You should note however that this will probably not finish anytime soon, since your carpenter has to build it, and he's probably busy cutting his wrist down trees. The various types of buildings take various skills to make; usually, whatever profession will be using the workshop is needed to build it.

Let's take a quick look at how you give dwarves new jobs. Go back to the main menu and hit v. This should give you a cursor, and your window should become an examination of whatever dwarf is closest to that cursor. You can hit various buttons within this, such as g to see general stats, i to see inventory, p to see his settings, and w to see his condition. Go to his settings for now.

There, you should be able to hit l for Labor, and a list of job types will pop up. You can scroll through it with + and -, and hit enter to select/deselect any jobs you want; he will then do or not do those jobs. These jobs include just about every task a dwarf could need to do, from refuse hauling to metalworking.

Now, you should have at least a Mason's Workshop done, so it's time to do something. Go back to the overview and hit q, which should bring up a cursor and change the window to the build orders for whatever building is closest. Find your Mason's Workshop, and hit a. This will bring up a list of things he can build. Right now, you want to add Stone Blocks first. You'll need other things, too; right now, you need tables and thrones (which are basically rock chairs.)

Build one throne per dwarf you have, and a table for each one (each table can have up to four thrones at it, but if you push them next to each other to make one long table then that'll go down.)

Next, dig out another room, at least 3x5. You'll put the finished tables and thrones in here, and it will become your dining room. Dwarves dislike eating without sitting down, and that will become an unhappy thought, which in turn pushes them closer to being unhappy, which is bad on many levels.

Now wait. Your dwarves should cheerfully go about their work. Once your Carpenter's Workshop is done, queue up a bucket and one bed per dwarf you have, then dig out another room at least 3x4 to put the beds in. Later on you'll need to build a room for each dwarf, but early on they're willing to sleep barracks style.

Once your beds, bucket and blocks, or tables/thrones are done, hit b again. You can place everything, not just buildings, from this menu. If your tables are done, plop them down in whatever room you made your dining room, in a pattern such that the thrones are next to the tables. If your beds are done, plop them down in your barracks. Finally, if your blocks/bucket are done, pick out Well from the building menu and put it in an open room with lots of access, since your dwarves will come here regularly.

Once all of these are done, you should have a basic fortress which won't die within five minutes from berserk dwarves, and where you go from there is up to you. I'll give you two more important things to do, however.

The first is a Craftsdwarf's Workshop. Here is where you will build all kinds of useful and neat things, primarily trade goods. These will go in a Finished Goods pile. They're important because anything you didn't start with the ability to produce, and a lot of things you did, you'll want to get from the rest of the world (for which you'll need a trade depot, and also a road for trading with non-dwarven traders.) In fact, if you're clever and have been reading the text in the game, you'll have noted that a supply caravan is supposed to arrive in the fall; but their goods aren't free, so you'd better have some stuff to trade back to them if you want their supplies.

The second part is farming. This is complex and confusing and important, so it gets special mention. You see, you farm in-cave; apparently you farm mushrooms or some other plant that doesn't require sunlight. To do this, however, you'll need to find your first in-cave river. Make a long, 1xlots dig designation into the depths of the mountain. You should find one after a few screens; in fact, your dwarf will probably have to run for his life from the flooding after you hit the river. Once the flooding recedes, however, you can open up holes to the river more or less safely.

This is important, since your dwarves farm with river mud. Dig open a spot next to the river; keep it separate from the rest of the cave, accessible only by a one square entry, where you'll put a door (build it from the Mason's Workshop.) Now, dig open one or two squares to the river. Nothing should flood at this point.

Now, you'll need to dig out a small adjunct room next to the door to the river-access room, which we'll call the control room. Once the door is between the access room and the control room, hit q and you should be able to set up the door. Keep it closed, but not locked.

Now, for the next trick, you will need to build a floodgate from your mason's workshop, and a mechanics workshop, from which you'll need three mechanisms. Make one of your dwarves work at Mechanics if you don't already have one.

Put your floodgate at the spot in the access room where the room meets the river. Next, build a Lever from b; this will take one mechanism and will be under Traps/Levers. Once the lever is built, hit q again and you should be able to set it up. Add the task "Hook up to a floodgate; it should give a list of floodgates, and there's probably only the one, so select it. Then it'll need two mechanisms; one for the gate, and another one for the lever.

EDIT: There've been some problems with water pathing recently, warranting an edit here: It may be necessary to install a second floodgate in front of your first one to convince the water to enter your access room, and some have suggested using a door and a second lever at the junction between access and control rooms, for additional safety. Note that every floodgate you hook up will require two mechanisms (one at the gate, one at the lever), and levers require one mechanism to construct.

Once all of this is set up, go back to the lever's menu and add the task "Pull the lever." One of your dwarves should come up to the lever soon and pull it, at which point the access room will be flooded (and the control room as well if you didn't set the door to be closed at all times.) Pull the lever again, and the water will recede.

But wait... the rocks in the access room are now brown with river mud! You can now build Farm Plots on it from the building menu. Once the plot is built, you can access it's menu the same way as with any building, and select what you want planted there; plump helmets are a good start, since they're a normal food item.

Every season you'll need to re-indicate what you want planted there, and the mud will harden in the winter, so you can't plant then; you'll need to re-flood the room in the spring, as well.

However, this is your primary food source by far; hunting is slow and unreliable, especially since the hunt target code is RETARDED (Well there's a deer right in front of the fortress, but let's go to THE END OF THE MAP and kill there instead!), and fishing only provides one fish/use and takes time; it also demands the full attention of the fisher, whereas one farmer can fill up a small plot on his own and get 3 plump helmets per spot.

So what else is there?

There's a lot more to the game as well, including a lot I haven't seen myself; it's only been out since Tuesday, and is only an alpha right now (although a lot of the core functionality is there; there's just a lot of missing small things.)

Increasing Social Dynamics!
Your dwarves live in an egalitarian, communist society at first; everyone has a few personal possessions, but everything is shared between people and whatever is needed is a tool "for the people." However, as your fortress expands, nobles will move in; they demand a lot, but in return, they expand your prestige and social dynamic. For example, the Manager allows you to dictate orders of things you need built, rather than queuing things at each workshop; with him comes the Sheriff, and criminal justice. Supposedly, later on once you start making money, you can even have an internal economy.

Wars and Monsters!
Those military skills aren't just for deer. Monsters will sometimes show up in your fortress, both from outside and from inside. You'll need military dwarves to defend you from frogmen using your dwarves as farm creatures and raiding you from your cave river, and also to keep jealous goblin, human, or elven kingdoms from outside from entering your base and killing your mans. This is especially true if you live near Evil regions, special parts of the map which are corrupted by evil (think the area around Mt. Doom from LOTR. Nothing good or friendly lives there.)

o_dancingfool 10-29-2006 10:32 PM

It sounded like Oblivion x2 until I saw the "graphics". I'll give it a whirl anyways.

o_bumgravy 10-30-2006 01:01 AM

http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/sc...ge_in_town.PNG
Have i taken too much drugs or not enough?

*edit* The title here is "carnage in town".... sure.

Circuitous 10-30-2006 01:02 AM

Wow that is all kinds of indecipherable.

o_dancingfool 10-30-2006 01:17 AM

They need to put it on the HL1 engine at least.

o_theres *nothing* here 10-30-2006 09:40 AM

Over an hour to generate a world on a 400mhz.

I'm at 300mhz- where does that get me? :D

o_stricknine 10-31-2006 09:06 PM

how do I de-select walls to be dug ( I don't want to dig where I clicked)?

edit: I figured it out.

o_ekim 10-31-2006 09:12 PM

http://www.nethack.org

o_soundchaser 10-31-2006 09:34 PM

I'd rather play Akalabeth on an Apple II.....and I did back in 1982. Was one of the first graphical RPGs.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...labeth_box.JPG

http://images.rottentomatoes.com/ima.../55/666855.jpg

http://www.abandonware-france.org/im.../akalabeth.gif
The Game.
http://www.free-game-downloads.mosw....akalabeth.html

old skool

o_dr zoidberg 11-01-2006 12:50 AM

Lord Brittish <3

UO <3

Crazycarl 12-26-2008 08:27 AM

Yayy super bump. Why am I still up after 4AM? DWARF FORTRESS.

I just finished a canal to feed my moat/well, and a human trading caravan showed up so I have to get out all my trade goods, and I have about 6 new immigrants who need jobs, and beds, and booze, and seats in the dining room, and somebody please get this game to share my obsession!

http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/index.html

Looks like the game has really expanded since this thread started.

פֿяαιп βαмαgεפ 12-26-2008 10:25 AM

Omg I remember this from the Team17 forums, didn't bother for it much though!

Credge 12-26-2008 10:22 PM

I played this for a bit. One of the biggest problems I had with the game was the steep learning curve. This isn't because of any sort of depth (it has a ton) but because of the fucking random ass graphics. What's the difference between a ' and a , ? NO FUCKING CLUE!

So, I downloaded a graphic pack. It actually made things decipherable and playable. After getting a fortress going for a bit, I found a few things that annoyed me.

1. Interface. Some things I could click, others I could not.

2. The letter commands often make no sense. K to see whats around you. What? Why not S or L?

3. Incredibly difficult start. I still don't understand why I have a choice between a whole bunch of useless things like gem working at the beginning. Why? Is this supposed to make it harder for me? Why don't I just bring the 7 dwarfs and nothing else if I want a challenge.

4. Depth. Wow. What an incredibly difficult thing to deal with. I don't know how many squares is in between me and the next level... depth wise. The lack of 3D in this department means I have to metagame everything.

5. The REQUIREMENT for a Wiki to even understand what the fuck is going on. I can handle a tutorial in wiki form ~ that's cool... but fuck me if I knew how to stockpile shit without the wiki.

Mainly this game needs a graphic overhaul. Yeah, the ASCII stuff is cute but it severely impacts the game. Even having some simple VGA style graphics would be just fine. That's the biggest issue. So many awesome games in a similar style have VGA graphics and it would be more appropriate and user friendly if they used them.

Mainly, if I can't tell what a ^ is supposed to mean, the graphics have failed me. This is one of the few cases where graphics do actually matter and impact the enjoyment of a game.

Crazycarl 12-27-2008 06:08 PM

A lot of those are valid complaints. However:
You have the option of picking your equipment and skills for all your dwarves at the start.

The depth component is actually really fun. Without it you'd be really limited in how you can build and dig. At any point you can excavate up or down and you have unlimited options. A 3D engine wouldn't make this much easier because you'd still have the problem of viewing and selecting the different levels.

The symbols and key shortcuts are easy to learn for the stuff you do often. There are graphics packs available and I think you can rebind keys.

Some games are ruined by a wiki. Like Kingdom of Loathing. For me it because more fun to read the wiki than to play. But the possibilities in this game are so endless that it makes you want to play more.

I'm having problems training soldiers. I had some recruits training with spears and now one has a punctured lung. And my crossbow dwarves ran out of bolts so they ran all over the map picking up spare ammo. One fell into a bottomless chasm.

Bridget 12-29-2008 03:43 AM

What the fuck is with this game? I specifically tell my woodcutter to chop oak, he takes the oak to the wood stockpile, and I site a carpenter's workshop, yet it tells me we have no oak. REEEEEEEEE >O

Crazycarl 12-30-2008 12:29 AM

Does it say something like

"oak logs 0/4"?

That just means you have 4 logs and haven't used any yet. Select it and hit enter. Some things like walls will need more than one log/stone, and it will count up as you pick them.

Bridget 12-30-2008 01:22 AM

Ah, yeah.. I got the carpenter to make a building. With the graphical update, it doesn't actually look like a building, but instead a mess of items on the ground. Anyway, my next question is how the hell do I tell the woodcutter to continually find and cut trees for wood? I have to manually tell him to cut trees. If I open the jobs tab, assign a new order via the manager, they seem to go un-noticed (Plus there isn't even an option to tell the dwarf to construct the buildings I've laid, nor to cut specific trees or trees in general.) I have no idea how to assign specific jobs and how to have them repeat. It creates a job, yet no one does it, or I don't know how to tell a dwarf to do it. :[

Uhm. I can't find soil, so how do I farm?

Crazycarl 12-30-2008 02:22 AM

The manager screen doesn't work until you have a manager dwarf, and I think you need a certain population first. The manager actually has to take time to sit down and assign the jobs, so in the beginning it's easier to do it yourself. I haven't used it much.

I don't think there's a way to have him automatically cut trees. You can just designate a large swath of trees and let him have at it. Your stockpile will fill up quickly. If you disable wood hauling on your woodcutter, another dwarf will carry the logs for him.

You have to open a dwarf's attributes and enable him to do a certain profession if you don't already have one with those skills. Usually when you build a workshop, the dwarf that would use it is the one who builds it. That's why your carpenter built the woodshop. If you want to build a loom you need a weaver, etc.
Sand works for farms. If all you have is rock then you need to irrigate.

wiki is here: http://www.dwarffortresswiki.net/index.php

Crazycarl 12-31-2008 04:11 AM

Up to about 50 dwarves. My moat didn't do me much good because a giant bat came in, went straight to my barracks and and killed 5 people. There are dwarf chunks everywhere.