Fortress Forever

Fortress Forever (https://forums.fortress-forever.com/index.php)
-   Other Games (https://forums.fortress-forever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   L4D Thread (https://forums.fortress-forever.com/showthread.php?t=18211)

greenday5494 03-13-2009 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lost (Post 431624)
There seems to be a pretty good sized mapping community, but I bet it'll be a while before they get the hang of developing well made and high quality maps.

One of you programming bastards need to develop a randomized mapping engine(insert little copyright symbol for future reference) for Source games, you'd make me rich!

thats not even feasible in the source engine. the way the lighting is just is not practical.

Crazycarl 03-14-2009 12:17 AM

I think he means you generate a random Hammer file, then compile it normally.

You'd probably have to generate several maps before you got a good one.

Lost 03-15-2009 09:48 AM

Something like the way Hellgate: London worked but with Source.

But yeah, I would wager it's not possible in its current incarnation, but that would open up some serious gaming opportunities. Imagine a 32 or 64 player game (like FF but huge) that randomizes the landscape, cap points, spawn points (according to a playable design) and weapon locations. Valve did a good job with L4D's semi-random infected placement, it's one of the things that keeps it interesting. If you listen to the commentary, they show a few things they developed just to keep it from being eye bleedingly boring after just half a dozen replays.

greenday5494 03-15-2009 05:23 PM

one of them i thought was constant updates like TF2. i was wrong.

i bought it because i thought they'd have at least 1 new campaign and 1 more in the works due out in spring. Not 2 campaigns that are already made, 1 small map, and a tiny unorginal gametype. :\

GeoKill-----> 03-15-2009 05:35 PM

Here's what happen

They finished L4D, fix a bunch of bugs after released.
Then they focus on the TF2 update
Now they are making the other maps work in vs plus a New Map. New Gametype as well.
After that who knows, hopefully HL2 Ep 3
After that many more FREE updates from tf2 and l4d

greenday5494 03-15-2009 06:45 PM

TF2 team and L4D team are seperate.

GeoKill-----> 03-16-2009 01:53 AM

If you been reading the valve blog
Most of the TF2 Team went to work on L4D

Etzell 03-16-2009 02:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by greenday5494 (Post 431830)
one of them i thought was constant updates like TF2. i was wrong.

i bought it because i thought they'd have at least 1 new campaign and 1 more in the works due out in spring. Not 2 campaigns that are already made, 1 small map, and a tiny unorginal gametype. :\

I love the sense of entitlement you have. What happened to buying a game and expecting that to be it? All of a sudden you buy a game and suddenly you deserve all kinds of new, free shit.

greenday5494 03-16-2009 03:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GeoKill-----> (Post 431883)
If you been reading the valve blog
Most of the TF2 Team went to work on L4D

Yes, which proves that they are seperate. Also, i am not going to respond to etzell as i've been told to ignore the trolls.

Plus, the reason the TF2 update was so delayed was BECAUSE of L4D. they also missed a lot of stuff that they said they would include, in the TF2 update :\

Skanky Butterpuss 03-16-2009 04:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by greenday5494 (Post 431895)
Also, i am not going to respond to etzell as i've been told to ignore the trolls.

rofl thats just as bad :lol:

GeoKill-----> 03-16-2009 05:47 AM

Its ironic really

Lost 03-16-2009 02:30 PM

Etz has a point, you can't buy a game and expect the developers to drop everything they've got going to add a few maps. It's not like they released L4D and said "hey, we gots our moneez, fuckit, yo." It needs more development but what it's lacking right now, the community can fill in, just gotta give em time to make quality maps. If you go through the campaign maps, most have so much detail its crazy. And I like how it doesn't render the little stuff until you're close enough to appreciate it rather than hogging up CPU time with a bottle of soap that's 1/4 of a mile away.

Now here's an idea for Valve, transfer the TF2 graphics to L4D, make the infected look like scouts and bam, TF2-zombie killing game. Kill two birds with one stone by updating both games in unison!

Everything 03-16-2009 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skanky Butterpuss (Post 431899)
rofl thats just as bad :lol:

I know right, letting us know is even bad to begin with.

greenday5494 03-16-2009 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kenny (Post 431977)
I know right, letting us know is even bad to begin with.

Kenny, you were one of them saying "do not respond to trolls" so seriously dude

Everything 03-16-2009 09:48 PM

Yeah true, but still, why let us know? Just don't respond or acknowledge them. That's what I usually do nowadays.

Etzell 03-17-2009 12:52 AM

Apparently finding a problem with someone's statements and making legitimate points as to how preposterous they are is trolling now.

-=bingo-bango=- 03-22-2009 08:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Etzell (Post 432015)
Apparently finding a problem with someone's statements and making legitimate points as to how preposterous they are is trolling now.

it really wasnt that preposterous. It is Valve. That and they said before release that that would have new DLC out asap

Anyways, im damn pumped for the new content

Sh4x 04-21-2009 11:50 PM

L4D PC DLC Out Now

Quote:

The Left 4 Dead Survival Pack is now available for the PC and Xbox 360, free of charge to all owners of the game. The full change list for the PC release is below. In addition, both the retail and Steam versions of the game (PC and 360) are now available for a special price. Check Steam and local retailers for pricing details. For more information about L4D, please visit www.l4d.com

Survival Mode
New gameplay Mode
16 maps including Last Stand
Leaderboards
7 new achievements

Versus Changes
2 new versus campaigns
Fixed a case where versus team score would continue to be recalculated after the score panel was displayed
Fixed an issue with recalculating the versus score health bonus for a player when they are rescued from being incapacitated
Fixed being able to start a swing as an infected, then teleport to the survivors and have the claw swing hit a survivor
Fixed a case where teleporting to the survivors would not reset the ability timer
Fixed an exploit where you could load the chamber of a weapon with bullets by holding down the melee key
Fixed a case where it was not possible to join a game while it was in a finale
Fixed a rare case where listen servers would speed up the game over time
Removed convars related to melee fatigue
Fixed a case where infected players would get a respawn time on their initial spawn into a map

Server Changes
Made ms_force_dedicated_server not require cheats
Add a message when queuing a heartbeat
Simplified setting of game mode
Removed convars director_no_human_zombies and director_holdout_mode
Added mp_gamemode [coop,versus,survival]

General
Added lobby join and leave messages
This is going to be fun! Done downloading in 5 secs, ciao!

-=bingo-bango=- 04-22-2009 12:04 AM

its out for both, but yea it will be fun