Fortress Forever

Fortress Forever (https://forums.fortress-forever.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://forums.fortress-forever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   2.0 First Impressions (https://forums.fortress-forever.com/showthread.php?t=14513)

squeek. 02-16-2008 02:58 AM

2.0 First Impressions

Yep. How you liking it?

Before you post, make sure to:
check out the Fortress Options menu

Credge 02-16-2008 03:14 AM

Good features are good.

One problem I've noticed, though, are that all players jump around like they have 400 ping every now and then. This doesn't happen with about 10 players in the server, but once it hits 16 or so it happens every now and then. This also happens when everyones ping are, on average, about 60.

Bad:

Soldier looks gay. As in, he looks like he enjoys penis. The pure-blue/red is tacky.

I also miss caltrops.

BHop speed increase is not noticable.

Good things:

SG's look great.

Jump pad is just right.

HW is useful now. Even further, right click=win.

Medic tossable packs are neat.

Pyro will be useful on offense now.

Demo blue pipe time is win.

Demo pipe radius is win.

Scouts take no fall damage.

Unsure:

Soldier rocket radius.

New conc mechanic.

Mr_headshot 02-16-2008 03:18 AM

Oh man, I can't wait to try it out! Not home tonight =/ tomorrow will be win.

a082 02-16-2008 04:05 AM

hwguy now more inutility, hard to kill a scout near you. and AC sound is to tediousness.
medic still hard to infect enemy,and medkit sound still not fixed.

but,FF 2.0 is more fun.

ps: team color for demoman's pipe?

Phatman 02-16-2008 04:06 AM

Just played at AE. Seems to play a lot better now. I didn't have netgraph up, so I can't say for sure, but it seemed that frame rate is up, even using the onboard video of an nforce board (inlaws machine). Had a blast, looks good and all that. Loved that I could finally turn the help center off.

chilledsanity 02-16-2008 04:38 AM

Being primarily an AvD player, here are my impressions:

Good:
+jump pads are fun
+clear advantages in using scout over medic
+sg tracking seems better
+hwguy a lot better
+pyro jet lift fun

Bad:
-dustbowl still has multiple broken areas for SG's
-jump pads make it stupid easy to cap in areas (cornfield especially)
-all the extra speed gives offense more of an advantage
-engineers don't spawn with enough metal to build an sg in dustbowl
-sg air push seems too weak (saw it not stopping medics/scouts)
-weaker SG's
-medic healing still doesn't seem any easier than 1.11
-throw speed too slow on medpacks (can't keep up with you running)
-1.1s demoman timer makes gate defense weaker on dustbowl
-don't like new soldier look
-don't like the red/blue streams to everything

I think the speed of everything makes it pretty fun, but I also think AvD is turning into a joke for defense now. I saw cornfield being capped by both sides in under 3 minutes constantly. I did see dustbowl hold defense, but it had over half the team as hwguys with about 20 people, so it's hard to say.

Phisionary 02-16-2008 04:51 AM

First experiance: bad. Got caught in a looping sound stutter for 2 minutes (same as gfx mode switch). Then hl2 crashed. Then steam crashed.

Connection load times still slow.

it worked after that. framerates are meh. had big packet loss but sometimes connection is shitty.

Skins: brightly colored jumpsuits. funny lookin.

bright flag == sokay. pretty colors.

sg == shiny

soldier: those rockets can really knock people around.

scout: no secondaries- wierd. mancannon- cool. need to learn how to use it right.
very speedy. been too much bloodbath to test speed but even just hopping around felt a bit faster.

medic: awesome! love those medpacks. love predicted healing. will be healing more often...
value of infection seems a bit low now... meh.
first try at concing felt kind of strange, but I got out of crossover pit okay. I'd have to try some aardvark & congestus (my other fav. concing maps) to tell better.

pyro - whats the diff?

demo - pipes are interesting, didnt try long enough.

hwguy - gun is interesting. need to learn another new dynamic... meh.

crossover - bridge in middle? i dunno. not sure i like it. lasers? sokay. was very easy approach to gaurd most of the time... I have one issue in that I think any class should be able to cap and this makes going though the base a necessity for most.... I don't mind much though. air-lift improvements == win

first impressions only

Tsukasa 02-16-2008 04:54 AM

There's an overall fps hit to patch 2.0 when it comes to spiking. Before I had 60fps constant now I can spike to 12 when theres like 9 people on screen all attacking and shotting stuff while i conc over. Perhaps due to the new conc effect?

Need to play it more, I'll post back after a solid 90 hours of gameplay.

Credge 02-16-2008 04:55 AM

On further inspection, I have found that I do not like the jump pad. Too much speed for all classes (HW and soldier especially). The ability to fire while traveling at those speeds as an HW will, seemingly, make most maps insane.

This won't be a problem in league play, but I can see it being a huge problem in pubs.

Defensive classes should remain defensive. Offensive classes should remain offense. Middle ground classes should have the ability to fill in a certain missing element on either offense or defense. Currently, the spy, pyro, and sniper have no real role besides annoyance in pubs.

Phisionary 02-16-2008 04:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chilledsanity
-sg air push seems too weak (saw it not stopping medics/scouts)

havent played yet, but this could be important! fundamental defense strategy on some maps, esp. palermo. just thinking aloud here...
Quote:

-don't like the red/blue streams to everything
sort-of agree. a bit bling-bling silly, not really necessary. Visually confusing (not used to it yet of course).

CrazyCro 02-16-2008 05:03 AM

Still no on screen menu!

Jiggles 02-16-2008 05:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phisionary
sort-of agree. a bit bling-bling silly, not really necessary. Visually confusing (not used to it yet of course).

Then turn them off. Behold the power of options! ;)

squeek. 02-16-2008 05:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jiggles
Then turn them off. Behold the power of options! ;)

Indeed. There is an option for nearly all of your gripes. Use them.

[AE] 82694 02-16-2008 05:06 AM

Fucking Love it but I'm easy.:lol:

Desyphur 02-16-2008 05:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Credge
pyro, have no real role besides annoyance in pubs.

Um, pyro is now VERY EFFECTIVE at Flagrunning and A/D maps.

Credge 02-16-2008 05:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Desyphur
Um, pyro is now VERY EFFECTIVE at Flagrunning and A/D maps.

As anyone is with the jump pad =\. ESPECIALLY because it can't be destroyed.

richard nixon 02-16-2008 05:17 AM

beta 2 and no new maps? very unimpressed. especially in a game where maps sort of make the game.

it really should have been called 1.5. And 2.0 should have included plenty of maps, added the scoring system and maybe new game modes (since it's been said over and over again that it isn't TFC:S).

I haven't tried it yet but I hope when I do it changes my mind.

chilledsanity 02-16-2008 05:23 AM

Quote:

Currently, the spy, pyro, and sniper have no real role besides annoyance in pubs.
Well spy has a lot of use in pubs, they're basically the engineer's bane. Even if you're alert to keep yours in check, they often get a teammate's. Also I think pyro now makes him the most mobile unit available. Sure you have jump pads, but they're only built in one spot per unit.

Quote:

Then turn them off. Behold the power of options
Wow I feel like an idiot, I didn't even see that separate menu. Does this stuff work retroactively? Meaning say I recorded a demo with default options, then changed the options to wanting a jillion ragdolls, would they be added, or would that have to be recorded in the first place?

Jiggles 02-16-2008 05:28 AM

I'm not exactly sure about the ragdolls, though my first guess would be that, since the ragdolls are client side, they're not "recorded" in the demos and so you should be able to change the setting.

squeek. 02-16-2008 05:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by richard nixon
beta 2 and no new maps? very unimpressed. especially in a game where maps sort of make the game.

it really should have been called 1.5. And 2.0 should have included plenty of maps, added the scoring system and maybe new game modes (since it's been said over and over again that it isn't TFC:S).

I haven't tried it yet but I hope when I do it changes my mind.

Need mappers to make maps; I'm unimpressed that you haven't made any maps. Once you understand what is required to make a map for the Source engine, you can understand why there are no "new" maps for 2.0.

But, FF_Openfire was added as well as FF_Dropdown. Plus, a new FF_Waterpolo, FF_Crossover, FF_Epicenter, and FF_Hunted.