Fortress Forever

Fortress Forever (https://forums.fortress-forever.com/index.php)
-   Server Administration (https://forums.fortress-forever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Is there a way to disable showing of enemy Health/Armor? (https://forums.fortress-forever.com/showthread.php?t=23478)

KubeDawg 08-20-2012 01:01 AM

Is there a way to disable showing of enemy Health/Armor?

Currently when you look at a teammate or enemy, it shows their name, Health and Armor. Is there a way to disable it so you can no longer see the enemy Health and Armor and instead just show their name?

FDA_Approved 08-20-2012 01:08 AM

I never understood being able to see enemy health and armor, makes no sense to me.

the_cake 08-20-2012 02:26 AM

can we also have neverending slowfields and 2.42 laser nades?

moosh 08-20-2012 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FDA_Approved (Post 494966)
I never understood being able to see enemy health and armor, makes no sense to me.

lolwut

FDA_Approved 08-20-2012 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moosh (Post 494983)
lolwut

...Ok, that was constructive. Why does it make sense to you?

CaptainAhab 08-20-2012 06:37 PM

I'm afraid I don't get it either. What's the point behind knowing the health and armor of all of your enemies? For your teammates is one thing, but for your enemies? Why?

moosh 08-21-2012 10:42 AM

It baffles me how you guys see no point in knowing if the ENEMY IS INJURED or if THE ENEMY IS AT FULL HEALTH???????????????????????????????????????????? ??????????????????????

or am I not reading something right? right?

KubeDawg 08-21-2012 11:29 AM

I've never had any issues playing other games like CS, TFC, CoD, etc without knowing my enemy's health/armor. It doesn't take any skill to look at a player to see their health/armor. I know you can enable plugins that show how much damage YOU do to an enemy that show up on the center of the screen, but I don't think it's necessary to see an enemy's health and armor.

Obviously there's not a visual indication of how damaged a player is, but I'd rather see people playing without that knowledge to:
a) Make it more challenging to those who actively seek out this information by looking at the enemy often to see their health.
b) Make it less of a challenge for newer players who can't tell what percentage of health/armor an enemy has or means, thus allowing them to learn faster by learning to use their instincts instead of using this feature as a crutch.

There is a point to see how damaged an enemy is, but that's up to your own situational awareness to find out that info. You do this either by listening to or witnessing distant teammates damage the enemy before they reach your area or by doing damage to them yourself.

FDA_Approved 08-21-2012 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moosh (Post 494991)
It baffles me how you guys see no point in knowing if the ENEMY IS INJURED or if THE ENEMY IS AT FULL HEALTH???????????????????????????????????????????? ??????????????????????

or am I not reading something right? right?

That's the thing, there is a big point. That's why it shouldn't be just broadcasted to you and everyone else. You should need a team comm, or figure it out based on your interactions with the player. If I shoot a rocket at a scout, I know a shotgun is going to finish him off, I can tell my team. It doesn't make any sense for such important information to be broadcasted like that. If a different amount of health will garner different reactions from people, then that information should be worked for some how. I can't think of any game where you can just see your enemies health. That's fucking stupid.

aleXtric 08-21-2012 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CaptainAhab (Post 494986)
I'm afraid I don't get it either. What's the point behind knowing the health and armor of all of your enemies? For your teammates is one thing, but for your enemies? Why?

this made me lol

CaptainAhab 08-21-2012 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aleXtric (Post 494997)
this made me lol

:-P I don't see it in any other game similar to this. Part of the challenge is guesstimating how much health/armor your enemy has based on their class and how you have hit them and with what weapons, knowing beforehand how much damage they do at various ranges, taking blast radius and direct hits into account.

oaties 08-21-2012 08:20 PM

I thought it only occurred when you are playing medic.

squeek. 08-21-2012 08:43 PM

I copied over the thread from the dev forums about this. Thought that would give you a better idea of our thought process than me restating it.

Check it out here: http://forums.fortress-forever.com/s...ad.php?t=23480

Oaties, you're right; in TFC, only the medic could see enemies' health/armor.

FDA_Approved 08-21-2012 09:37 PM

Remove it from all classes.

Although I feel it makes sense for the medic to see enemy vitals. It'd be interesting if the scout could enable it for his team through some interactive mechanic. Like the snipers radio tags. Give the scout more "recon" skills.

But it makes most sense to me from a gameplay mechanic for the medic to see it, if anyone can.

FDA_Approved 08-21-2012 09:51 PM

Also I'm strongly put off by some of the "hold my hand while I do dis" type of mechanics suggested in that thread. It's one thing to want your players to make informed and calculated decisions, it's another to just hand them all the information they need. If you want to talk about picking and choosing targets on the D to attack, that's probly a decision that should be made before you get there. You shouldn't just randomly float into the flagroom and then decide. You should be making decisions as to what would be most profitable on your way to their base. Using information from your previous run, as well as team comms to make those decisions.

squeek. 08-21-2012 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FDA_Approved (Post 495032)
Also I'm strongly put off by some of the "hold my hand while I do dis" type of mechanics suggested in that thread. It's one thing to want your players to make informed and calculated decisions, it's another to just hand them all the information they need. If you want to talk about picking and choosing targets on the D to attack, that's probly a decision that should be made before you get there. You shouldn't just randomly float into the flagroom and then decide. You should be making decisions as to what would be most profitable on your way to their base. Using information from your previous run, as well as team comms to make those decisions.

Keep in mind it's a three year old thread. :)

FDA_Approved 08-21-2012 10:49 PM

Thread went zombie mode, I had to take care of business.

CaptainAhab 08-21-2012 10:52 PM

Random tidbit: I like how everything in FF is very easy to "see" -- meaning, it's easy to know when I've killed someone, when I've hit someone, where grenades have landed and how soon they will go off, etc. in comparison to my limited TFC experience.

I'm sure it's different coming from someone who played TFC for many years, but yeah. The visibility in FF is superb.

KubeDawg 08-22-2012 08:07 AM

It keeps an element of doubt if it's removed. The less information you know automatically, means the more you will try to figure it out on your own and the better off you will be in the end.

WiFiDi 06-18-2013 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by squeek. (Post 495035)
Keep in mind it's a three year old thread. :)

yea but it still isn't changed. :mrgreen: