Fortress Forever

Fortress Forever (https://forums.fortress-forever.com/index.php)
-   Mapping (https://forums.fortress-forever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   schtop bugfix, round 2 (https://forums.fortress-forever.com/showthread.php?t=25053)

clover_forgot_password 03-30-2015 06:10 PM

schtop bugfix, round 2

Some time ago, I responded to a feature request which asked for some adjustments to ff_schtop. Players wanted the fd ladder out of water to be easier to climb and thought it was too difficult to throw the flag out the security window (it was). The revised version, named ff_schtop_k for reasons I do not recall, fixed these issues but introduced a new sound volume bug that I was not able to reproduce.

I believed that there was a problem with players not receiving the soundscape file from servers when they join, but removing the soundscape from my maps folder still did not reproduce the bug. Before I could definitively fix this, I had to take care of some business and mapping was put on the back burner.

I would like to fix this issue once and for all. I am posting a download link to the revised version. Please run a playtest of the map and see whether the bug can be reproduced. My private tests have (again) found no problems. If any sound issues occur, please report exactly what you are hearing and where you were in the map when the error occurred.

https://mega.co.nz/#!NwREFZiZ!7e12Wb...z7Qv98o9lHXOQM

KubeDawg 03-30-2015 06:32 PM

Awesome man! Thanks a lot. If this new version ends up working well compared to the current schtop, I'd like to see it replace the current official map and with Steam, it shouldn't be too difficult to roll out as an update by itself or as a future update with other changes to FF. Also, would you be willing to allow access to the map source files on GitHub now that FF is now open source?

clover_forgot_password 03-30-2015 06:34 PM

You could probably just replace the current bsp with this one and it would work fine. Nothing was altered in the lua or soundscape files. There are some new models, but they are embedded in the bsp.

KubeDawg 03-30-2015 08:19 PM

Ok cool. I'll create a github event for this to be added.

homie in reboks' 03-30-2015 08:25 PM

The smaller flag makes it easier to toss out the security window now. It may not have been necessary to change it.

squeek. 03-30-2015 10:02 PM

Can you post the vmf as well (or submit a pull request to our maps repo)?

clover_forgot_password 03-30-2015 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by squeek. (Post 507757)
Can you post the vmf as well (or submit a pull request to our maps repo)?

I'll get around to it.

Headz 04-02-2015 10:11 PM

Schtop is such a perfect map apart from one thing that bugs me, could you please clip the stairs if whoever releases the update, thanks.

KubeDawg 04-02-2015 11:18 PM

tbh I think the stairs are like that for a reason, to sort of break up play than if the stairs were a ramp instead, both for FR stairs and Security stairs. Besides, if the security stairs were turned into a ramp, it'd likely be too steep anyway from which to get any real momentum.

FDA_Approved 04-02-2015 11:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KubeDawg (Post 507897)
tbh I think the stairs are like that for a reason, to sort of break up play than if the stairs were a ramp instead, both for FR stairs and Security stairs. Besides, if the security stairs were turned into a ramp, it'd likely be too steep anyway from which to get any real momentum.

Pretty much this. People don't just make stairs because they didn't think to add a simple clip. In certain places it's meant to be an obstacle and break up offensive flow.

_BEAN_ 04-08-2015 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clover_forgot_password (Post 507740)
You could probably just replace the current bsp with this one and it would work fine. Nothing was altered in the lua or soundscape files. There are some new models, but they are embedded in the bsp.

Map is uploaded onto Snatch's Dumpster of Fun. Will be testing it later this evening, and post results.

clover_forgot_password 04-18-2015 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Headz (Post 507893)
Schtop is such a perfect map apart from one thing that bugs me, could you please clip the stairs if whoever releases the update, thanks.

I assume you mean the circular stairs near the security button. I tested that idea before releasing the update. It doesn't work very well in practice, and not just from a gameplay point of view. Since the clip brush has to follow a curved surface at an angle, there will naturally be uneven 'creases' in the ramp. Rampsliding (or even running really) doesn't work very well.

In addition, there are very few available brushsides left on the map (the original had 12 left I think, this has more since some objects were converted to models). Additional changes are limited to fairly basic geometric shapes.

caesium 04-24-2015 09:26 AM

Imo those stairs should definitely remain as stairs anyway!..

Thank you for making the ladder easier to use - look forward to that :)