Fortress Forever

Fortress Forever (https://forums.fortress-forever.com/index.php)
-   Communities, Leagues, Clans and Guilds (https://forums.fortress-forever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=39)
-   -   Stop Being An Asshole in Pubs (https://forums.fortress-forever.com/showthread.php?t=15164)

dys 03-19-2008 03:14 PM

Stop Being An Asshole in Pubs

If this applies to you then stop it already. In case you haven't noticed, our pub scene (and clan scene) is still pretty damn small. Occassionaly newcomers join a server and I've seen people with and without clan tags start demoralizing the newcomers simply for being newbie. That's fucking ridiculous, are you retarded? This game obviously needs more people, why the hell anyone would deter newcomers is beyond me. Stop being arrogant douchebags because you think you already know how to play the game because if you don't, there won't be a game to play. There's enough dumb assholes in the real world, don't be one in a video game community that's meant to be fun for everyone playing.

Every single one of us was a newbie to some game in the past. Don't forget how much fun it was to explore a new game with friendly people as you learned more about it.

Wherever an admin feels this thread belongs feel free to place it there. And also feel free to sticky it to everyone's forehead.

Mudfrog 03-19-2008 03:16 PM

Well said Dys.. this game needs as many players as we can get if we want it to be around for a while, if you think your the best player out there then great but you do not have to rub it in the face of a lesser player, this is a sure fire way to kill the FF following.

Not every game is a league match.. try having fun and getting back to the basics of what makes the game so enjoyable. You have practice and clan match's that are serious.. lighten up some.

myersjr 03-19-2008 03:24 PM

Very nice...I couldnt have said it any better myself.

Circuitous 03-19-2008 05:31 PM

I agree 100%.

Oh, and I Secret Policed this thread. Sorry, bickerers!

Adamido 03-19-2008 05:44 PM

Me likes post deletation!

:lol:

On topic
Its true what you said dys, BUT this is the moment when admins should act. Too bad that seeing an admin is VERY VERY rare on most servers.

myersjr 03-19-2008 05:50 PM

hey circ.. i saw this in your sig..

School of Team Fortress:#schoolTF on GameSurge

Ive heard of things like quakenet and the like..for some reason im not understanding how to find these servers or games. It doesnt seem to make much sense on how to find these servers..Guess im just being noobish..sorry..

KubeDawg 03-19-2008 05:58 PM

Everyone is or has been a newbie at some point in time. If I am on a concmap, and I've already beat it, I help other people who are at the beginning learn sort of how the physics works and how certain timing/angles gets you to certain areas on the map.

There are and will always be assholes, and as much as you can try to post about it here, the only way to rid yourself of them, is to ban them from your server. If someone is being rude, I generally give them a warning. If they continue, or redirect their comments to me, then I will ban them permanently. There is certainly no need for someone to talk shit to make them feel better about themselves... I mean, I'll talk shit to people who I know in game, and realize someone who is a newbie not realize I'm not being serious. I try to use the most sarcastic voice possible, but still, I've found myself explaining the situation.

My 2 cents.

Circuitous 03-19-2008 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by myersjr
hey circ.. i saw this in your sig..

School of Team Fortress:#schoolTF on GameSurge

Ive heard of things like quakenet and the like..for some reason im not understanding how to find these servers or games. It doesnt seem to make much sense on how to find these servers..Guess im just being noobish..sorry..

No, no problem.

You need an IRC client. I'm assuming you're in Windows, so one of your options is mIRC.

When you get that installed and load it up it'll let you choose an IRC server. Find "GameSurge" in the list and connect to it, then type /join #schoolTF.

Those instructions are fairly loose, if you get the program set up and can't figure it out you can IM me. My contact info is on the left.

Dr.Satan 03-19-2008 06:17 PM

yeah...I read that wrong circ's got ya though!

elwood 03-19-2008 07:09 PM

^5 dys, well said indeed and well needed to be said on these forums to be seen. unfortunately i don't think much is going to change. people are too thick headed and just plain arrogant to change-especially in a online game.

if that's the case, then no matter how much time and effort the FF-Dev team spends to make this game an amazing Team Fortress mod it will never develop and strive as it should. it will be a shame and i apologize in advance to them (FF-Devs) and also the players who make this community a better place if it doesn't take off like it should. :|

caesium 03-19-2008 07:58 PM

indeed. in my experience the ppl who are cocks to new players are never any good themselves anyway.

we should start a rumour that every time you are nice to new/confused player on a server your man-servant gets 1 inch longer, and all the FF devs stay up all night working non-stop on FF!

Mr. Happy 03-19-2008 08:33 PM

What really bothers me is people on clan style servers who bitch at people for not following the rules, or calmly explain the rules, either way, AND THEN BREAK THE RULES THEMSELVES!!

GeoKill-----> 03-19-2008 11:03 PM

We try to monitor the e0 server as much as possible so this shit does not happen.
Warning, kick, then ban

[AE] 82694 03-19-2008 11:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GeoKill----->
We try to monitor the e0 server as much as possible so this shit does not happen.
Warning, kick, then ban

+1 with the exception [AE] Server

GeoKill-----> 03-19-2008 11:46 PM

Yeah we have the same admins on both servers as well so we better not catch you guys being douches

Hirohito 03-19-2008 11:57 PM

I agree 100%. I always help newbies as much as I can, even while league kiddies are jacking off to harassing him. I've even seen one of the [FF_Helper] guys make fun of a newbie. While he was laughing at himself for telling DAT NUB to hit F10 to build stuff LOL, I helped the poor newbie.

I've also seen a lot of DEAL WITH IT comments on severs, especially regarding spawn spamming. On the :e0: server, in Shutdown2, some guy was throwing Gas Grenades into both of our Spawn Points. A teammate got mad and complained about it. The locals (including :e0: guys) started blurting comments to the effect of DEAL WITH IT NUB. The complainer was playing as a Spy, so one of the admins thought it'd be HILARIOUS if he made the guy emit lasers showing where he was to everybody.

GeoKill-----> 03-20-2008 12:02 AM

Oh do PM please

[AE] 82694 03-20-2008 04:22 AM

If you see anything like that on the [AE] Clan server please pm me and I'll look into it.

Mudfrog 03-20-2008 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hirohito
I agree 100%. I always help newbies as much as I can, even while league kiddies are jacking off to harassing him. I've even seen one of the [FF_Helper] guys make fun of a newbie. While he was laughing at himself for telling DAT NUB to hit F10 to build stuff LOL, I helped the poor newbie.

I've also seen a lot of DEAL WITH IT comments on severs, especially regarding spawn spamming. On the :e0: server, in Shutdown2, some guy was throwing Gas Grenades into both of our Spawn Points. A teammate got mad and complained about it. The locals (including :e0: guys) started blurting comments to the effect of DEAL WITH IT NUB. The complainer was playing as a Spy, so one of the admins thought it'd be HILARIOUS if he made the guy emit lasers showing where he was to everybody.

Yea I've had similar problems on the :e0: server, the admins that I have seen are a little too power hungry, this is why I no longer play on that server.

ViLE 03-20-2008 03:33 PM

@elitery, elitism, & the leetz0rs
here's a solution, realize pubs are what they are.

a swarming teeming cesspool shitfest of scrubby debauchery and unskilled noobery, complete with ovo, chasing, yard pyros snipers and maybe even an SG on the bats. Just wait for the automatons to become self-aware, soon they will join our ranks of the most righteous.

If you want to weed out the poor gameplay drop by #ff.pickup on irc.gamesurge.net and get roasted by people who play like you think you do/can.

On a sidenote, you guys really take your pubbing seriously, don't you?

P.S. elwood, u are so funny to me