Fortress Forever

Fortress Forever (https://forums.fortress-forever.com/index.php)
-   Tips and Tutorials (https://forums.fortress-forever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   New to this (https://forums.fortress-forever.com/showthread.php?t=21512)

nervous 02-15-2010 04:19 PM

New to this

Hello everybody, I just started playing Fortress Forever yesterday and I wanted to know if any of you could give me some tips on gaining speed as a scout. I've been able to gain high speeds through concing but I can never get fast enough to evade a sentry. I just wanted some help on this, thanks.

GenghisTron 02-15-2010 04:27 PM

Hey nervous, welcome!

You'll get most of your speed through bunny hopping

(Click on the video and go to YouTube for the second video, so it's easier to see the buttons he's pressing)

I like the second video more, but I'd watch both anyways, they both provide a different perspective.

There's also the Fortress Forever Wiki

http://fortress-forever.com/wiki2/in...ovement_Skills

nervous 02-15-2010 06:08 PM

I know how to bunnyhop, I play leagues in Half Life 2: Deathmatch, and I am an experienced bunnyhopper in that game. My question is how do I go fast enough to avoid sentries? I've bunnyhopped off of slanted objects to gain speed (such as in aardvark, the ramp to go outside) but I can never seem to avoid the sentry bullets.

GenghisTron 02-15-2010 06:24 PM

You don't really have much of a choice--if you're a good enough concer, you can conc past it, and hope that you're gone before the SG can even lock onto you. If you can get close to the SG, you can 'strafe' it, and prevent it from locking onto you. There's some good examples out there, check out 'Wheaties 25 Burned Sentries' on YouTube. It's a video from a TFC player, but FF is basically the ported version of TFC, so it still applies. If that doesn't work, you'll have to wait for your team to kill the SG, or go medic and kill it yourself. It is a team fortress game, so you depend on your team a lot, especially if you're a scout.

nervous 02-15-2010 08:52 PM

Ah, I see. Thanks so much for the quick responses, I've been trying out some of those conc practice maps but I cannot seem to get my timing down for the juggling portions. I've also been trying out trimp maps, but I can only beat them as scout :p

Thanks for the help!

KubeDawg 02-15-2010 09:16 PM

There are a few conc juggling maps as far as I know as well to practice on, check out the maps section for some downloads.

GenghisTron 02-16-2010 05:20 AM

Yea, if you have any more questions just ask, or search the forums.

Mikael_hs 02-17-2010 07:19 PM

can u bhop in HL2DM?

Dr.Satan 02-17-2010 09:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KubeDawg (Post 465501)
There are a few conc juggling maps as far as I know as well to practice on, check out the maps section for some downloads.

ff_juggle_this by A1win is probably my favorite conc juggling map b/c of the lua

I also included a copy of it in conc_school

RnZ 02-25-2010 01:25 PM

play/watch some pickups and see how the pro's conc passed the sg's, it's quite impressive :D

yfni 02-27-2010 10:59 AM

ty rainz

AfterShock 03-02-2010 12:16 PM

You can also increase your speed by
  • Hopping on a downwards sloping ramp (down-trimping)
  • Concing straight after you trigger a jump pad
  • Using a hand-held conc rather than dropping it on the floor
    • There is a 75% strength handheld conc that triggers if you dont jump right before it goes off. If you do jump at the right time, you will get 100% strength
  • Strafe jumping / glide jumping into a conc
    • To practice glide jumping, start a lan server and set sv_friction to a low number e.g. 1. Then see how much speed you can gain from turning + strafing (whilst on the ground) then jumping.
Since 2.4 it is also possible to momentarily lose an SG lock by hopping left and right very quickly, due to the acceleration / deceleration added to the SG turn speed. In reality this is only really possible as scout and you need to be going at max bhop speed. The weaving required means you will be more open to getting shot by other players, however...

nervous 03-20-2010 12:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikael_hs (Post 465680)
can u bhop in HL2DM?

Yes.

WiFiDi 09-13-2010 09:57 PM

personally i prefer trimping off ramps or other edges to game momentum repetitively it gives you momentum and just enough speed to move fast enough to escape enemies. i find it works pretty well b/c i can't bhop to much multitasking.

KubeDawg 09-13-2010 10:41 PM

Also it helps to know the general area where the sentry gun is. If you've already died, most likely the sentry is still up and that gives you somewhat of an advantage as a scout to get past it. I try to circle the sentry gun sometimes, or get near enough to it where it still can't see me(such as around the corner) when my conc goes off so that I have as much speed as I need to get to the flag or outside of its radar.

Another good tactic is to get in range so you can nail the SG with your nailgun where it can't detect you, then throw a conc near the SG so it pushes the engineer away so they cannot repair their gun.