Fortress Forever

Fortress Forever (https://forums.fortress-forever.com/index.php)
-   Tech (https://forums.fortress-forever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   MP3/Music Software? (https://forums.fortress-forever.com/showthread.php?t=20530)

Mooga 09-02-2009 01:29 AM

MP3/Music Software?

Every time I do a re-install I try to find music software that I like. What software do you use to listen to music? (Windows)

Here's my run down:
foobar2000 - I installed this since I heard it was like a free version of Winamp. Hahaha... It's 100% total absolute shit. Seriously, don't touch it with a damn hand grenade.

Winamp - So I actually really like Winamp. I just wish there was a free alternative...

Songbird - I'm really considering this... I don't know much

iTunes - A long time ago in a galaxy far far away... iTunes was great. However, that was long long long ago... Plus data backup is a total bitch.

Demasu 09-02-2009 02:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mooga (Post 448732)
Every time I do a re-install I try to find music software that I like. What software do you use to listen to music? (Windows)

Here's my run down:
foobar2000 - I installed this since I heard it was like a free version of Winamp. Hahaha... It's 100% total absolute shit. Seriously, don't touch it with a damn hand grenade.

Winamp - So I actually really like Winamp. I just wish there was a free alternative...

Songbird - I'm really considering this... I don't know much

iTunes - A long time ago in a galaxy far far away... iTunes was great. However, that was long long long ago... Plug data backup is a total bitch.

Winamp is free, at least last time I downloaded it, and it's the latest version (5.56). I agree with iTunes, it's alright, but it does piss me off some times. Been thinking about trying songbird, but haven't yet, but it looks like it could be good. I'll be trying it out here soon, have a class tomorrow that I hate, so I figure I could get away with trying it there.

hlstriker 09-02-2009 02:23 AM

Winamp by far. iTunes is terrible...

squeek. 09-02-2009 05:42 AM

I use foobar2000. Incredibly lightweight, plays anything, and customizable to do whatever (although I use Winamp for iPod management).

Paft 09-02-2009 11:13 AM

Yeah, Winamp is FREE. I use it.

I'd used foobar for a little while and still would if it would still respond to my media keys after loosing focus like Winamp and any other player does. I use "Dynamic Library" plugin to view music by there folders, like foobar does at default.

Demasu 09-02-2009 07:13 PM

Songbird seems pretty nice, it's been able to play all my songs so far, and it's got some plug-ins that you can add to affect playback options, and the theme and whatnot. I had basically zero luck with the portableapps version in class today, but I've been having problems with that whole computer, so my experience may not be indicative of how the portable version works, if you decide to go that route.

GeoKill-----> 09-03-2009 02:30 AM

I been using winamp for years and not a single complain

Dexter 09-06-2009 07:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mooga (Post 448732)
foobar2000 - I installed this since I heard it was like a free version of Winamp. Hahaha... It's 100% total absolute BADASS shit. Seriously, don't use anything else.

kinda confused as to why you found it shit, did you have issues with using it? Its seriously the leanest mp3 player out there these days. The tabbed playlist UI is probably overly simple for people who live by the media library standards these days, though. It's even got fancy themes and a media library thing now, actually. the shit

KubeDawg 09-06-2009 09:34 AM

I use Windows Media Player 10. It's easy to use, automatically recognizes new music when I put it in my music folder(im pretty sure most programs can do this though), and it's UI is pretty straight forward and user friendly. I also use it for all video files.

Mooga 09-06-2009 04:43 PM

Being a Windows 7 guy, I have Midea Player 12. I use it for videos (amazingly sexy GUI) but I don't like to mess with the library...

Paft 09-12-2009 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paft (Post 448765)
Yeah, Winamp is FREE. I use it.

I'd used foobar for a little while and still would if it would still respond to my media keys after loosing focus like Winamp and any other player does. I use "Dynamic Library" plugin to view music by there folders, like foobar does at default.

Actauly, just tired The Ultimate ML Plugin and I prefer it.

FrenchToast 09-13-2009 11:33 PM

Still don't understand why people hate iTunes... it's fine for me...

Mooga 09-14-2009 02:17 AM

IDK, maybe because it lags on HIGH END systems and is a total resorce hog. And backups are a bitch.

wakka 09-14-2009 10:27 PM

windows media player has never failed me, always keeps music swiftly up to date as i download it and is just so easy to use.

itunes is balls as is quicktime but this isnt about quicktime.

gibz 09-15-2009 11:22 AM

Type in the console: mp3

Dexter 09-21-2009 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gibz (Post 450185)
Type in the console: mp3

ls ~/music/*.mp3 -r > mpg123 ??

anyway, my issue with WMP is leaving it open while gaming will make my framerate fart occasionally on one of my other systems. Itunes too, they're both kinda hogs. Not to mention the retarded libraries. Zune software actually has the nicest library management I've used but I like to play music by folder, not id3 tags so much

Mooga 09-21-2009 11:14 PM

I'm using winamp again and I like it becuase I can be lazy with file managment :-P