Fortress Forever

Fortress Forever (https://forums.fortress-forever.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://forums.fortress-forever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   We're looking for a coder... (https://forums.fortress-forever.com/showthread.php?t=4600)

Mulchman MM 04-15-2006 02:42 AM

We're looking for a coder...

It's not currently listed ( http://www.fortress-forever.com/?a=openings ) but we are indeed looking for a new coder/programmer. We're a fair ways into development but basically it's just me and another guy at this point in time while others are tied up with college/university.

So if you've got experience with the HL2/HL SDK and think you could contribute send us an email at the email posted on the website I referenced above. You need to include samples of stuff we can check out and list all previous experience that would be relevant to game/hl2 coding.

The main duties as of now are fixing bugs. The latest build is quite stable [rarely crashes] but there are still a lot of rough areas (ie. bugs) to patch up before continuing on with new stuff.

So, if you want to be apart of the team you should know what to do by now through my rambling. Good luck.

o_qui 04-15-2006 10:05 AM

Wish i had bothered to take a look at the sdk in the summer now -_-

I have my amazing graphics engine that i made earlier in the year though

http://www.quiowns.com/sauce.jpg

Somehow i dont think it cuts it :P

Out of curiosity, how much is it a step up from joe blog programming? I mean the most complicated stuff ive done in programming is like signal processing and making a crudish file sharing program.

Is there much to it, really? Ive always thought of looking into it with some of my friends after we finish our dissertations.

Anyway, gl hf with the search :)

mervaka 04-15-2006 11:29 AM

yeah ive coded some hl1 stuff, but im hopeless at bug fixing :/

Defrag 04-15-2006 02:55 PM

It's a fair ol' step up in that we want someone who's already familiar with the HL2 SDK. It takes quite some time to get your bearings, unfortunately.

o_ginger lord 04-15-2006 03:23 PM

I did the base coding for HaJ but that was with a lot of tutorials and guidance and I'm naff-all use at bug fixing.

C++ is a cruel cruel woman, sometimes she's just fine...othertimes...well..

o_4est 04-16-2006 03:34 AM

I made a myspace page! Can I help?

o_anshinritsumai 04-16-2006 03:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ginger Lord
C++ is a cruel cruel woman, sometimes she's just fine...othertimes...well..

I am quoting you on this.

On a more serious note; I wrote a calculator program that runs in the dos prompt... can I join teh team!?

o_arimanio 04-16-2006 09:01 AM

OMG If they take you nuubs in the dev team, game wont either not be finished or it will look like crap :D

Circuitous 04-16-2006 10:39 AM

Or they'll get cut and they'll find someone more skilled.

Yeah that seems way more likely.

mervaka 04-16-2006 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Defrag
It's a fair ol' step up in that we want someone who's already familiar with the HL2 SDK. It takes quite some time to get your bearings, unfortunately.

sorry, i wasnt putting myself forward :p i just felt like saying it anyway.

saying that i know a friend of mine whos making a BZflag type game in source. hes only a coder, but a very good one at that.

o_dammage 04-16-2006 11:58 AM

Is it possible to compile SDK code with VSExpress or Mingw?

[edit]ok, beta 2 of VSE couldn't load the sdk files, let's download the final one and see if after so much time with java, pascal and python I still can do anything in C++ :P[/edit]

mervaka 04-16-2006 12:12 PM

last i heard, ms and valve were looking to find a way to get the SDK to compile on c++ express

o_dammage 04-16-2006 12:15 PM

yes I found an article on a site I would never want to visit (ms.com) about express being the top penny devtool for valve's sdk.
Well, as I'm unfamiliar with the sdk, you won't get my mail. But I'll play around with the SDK :)
Quote:

Did you know that if you playback windows CDs backwards it plays satan's speeches?
Quote:

Ah, yes and if you play it forward it installs Windows
Too bad that I have to boot into windows for HL2 :/

mervaka 04-16-2006 01:32 PM

wtf? stop being such an anti MS zealot

o_frenchtoast 04-16-2006 02:31 PM

I'm gonna plagiaraze someone else, just so I can get the latest version.

Sheshesheshe!

o_dammage 04-16-2006 02:40 PM

Mervaka, don't worry, it was just a joke.
I agree that (except w9x and Outlook and IE) MS products are very good. The only thing I don't like are their tactics/politics and the bloat around the NT core since XP :)

Well, that's not the topic to discuss in this thread. If you want to, open up one.

o_d3pth charge 04-16-2006 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dammage
Mervaka, don't worry, it was just a joke.
I agree that (except w9x and Outlook and IE) MS products are very good. The only thing I don't like are their tactics/politics and the bloat around the NT core since XP :)

Well, that's not the topic to discuss in this thread. If you want to, open up one.

I thought your joke was hilarious :D

Circuitous 04-16-2006 08:07 PM

What, you've never seen that joke before?

mervaka 04-16-2006 08:17 PM

hard to tell sarcasm over the internet afaik

o_ohcanep 04-16-2006 09:07 PM

Quote:

Ah, yes and if you play it forward it installs Windows
Totally off-topic here but thanks for posting this one. I'm not sure why but it really gave me a good laugh.

I've also written a calculator in java, can I join the team?! ;) Seriously though good luck hunting an additional keyboard monkey.