Fortress Forever

Fortress Forever (https://forums.fortress-forever.com/index.php)
-   Other Games (https://forums.fortress-forever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   (PC) Quake Champions (https://forums.fortress-forever.com/showthread.php?t=25345)

caesium 04-19-2017 09:02 AM

Quake Champions

Anyone tried the beta?

Bully 04-19-2017 08:45 PM

Signed up and waiting on a email, however I'm wondering, as my old PC might not be up to it :(

caesium 04-20-2017 08:41 AM

I really hope they release proper mapping tools, ideally with enough flexibility to create custom gamemodes. Doesn't need to be full on "modding" - a limited high-level interface like FF's lua would be ideal.

I think I read ages ago that they have no plans to do so, but for me games need the community content, including the weird stuff, to stay interesting in the longrun. So long as it's clearly labelled as community/custom and kept relatively hidden to new-comers (so they don't end up playing it by mistake and thinking that was the intended experience) I don't see much argument against it other than their time to release the tools.

FDA_Approved 04-24-2017 04:43 PM

I was really hoping for it at the start. Now I just highly doubt it.

QC is pretty dope. In terms of mapping and openness though, we'd probably be better off making a quake mod in ue4.

caesium 04-27-2017 01:53 PM

Is dope good?

Paft 04-28-2017 09:59 AM

I played some yesterday. I wasn't overly impressed. The speed is still there.

Straight away the anime style irritates me. Since TF2, any FPS that isn't set in realistic war has defaulted to the polar opposite. Bright, colourful, goofy characters with their own personalities and annoying lines. It's like watching the Power Rangers.

Their unique abilities will likely make it too annoying to play. MOBA/MMO feel, stats, looting, all games must come with this these days...

If I can get over these cons maybe it will grow on me.

FDA_Approved 04-28-2017 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by caesium (Post 511615)
Is dope good?

Yeah. As in "sick', or "cool ass", perhaps "bitchin".

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paft (Post 511617)
I played some yesterday. I wasn't overly impressed. The speed is still there.

Straight away the anime style irritates me. Since TF2, any FPS that isn't set in realistic war has defaulted to the polar opposite. Bright, colourful, goofy characters with their own personalities and annoying lines. It's like watching the Power Rangers.

Their unique abilities will likely make it too annoying to play. MOBA/MMO feel, stats, looting, all games must come with this these days...

If I can get over these cons maybe it will grow on me.

I think the art direction is pretty solid. I prefer a grittier style as well. But a more stylized art direction ages much better and is more attractive to a wider audience. For instance I really thought FF and Q4 looked pretty bad when I first started playing them, I just sort of grew to like the grittier feel for them.

Honestly QC hits a pretty nice middle ground on that. It's not cartoony, but it's not photo realistic.

I think if you really do enjoy the quake style DM and movement, hero abilities will be pretty easy to get over. I've found them rather inconsequential with maybe around 20 hours so far. The only ability that really bothers me is the nyx one. Because it allows her to exit combat entirely. Very frustrating when you're about to get the kill.

Paft 04-29-2017 11:40 AM

I don't like Bethesda's influence in some of these current ID games.

I miss the Gothic Scifi mood. Each version of Quake always felt unique.

Annoying one-liners. Particularly Anarki, Nyx, Slash. Ah, fuck it..they're all annoying. They better add a mute voice option.

Good to hear you can play without abilities.

These are just nitpick feelings and impressions that I will likely get over with time. I'll play a lot of it on release for sure.

Paft 04-29-2017 08:59 PM

Why are games so blurry these days? Genuine question.

Install reshade and apply 'adaptivesharpening' for example Makes a world of difference.

Paft 05-02-2017 09:57 AM

Good fun overall.

caesium 05-03-2017 09:20 AM

Ass bitchin.

Paft 05-03-2017 05:06 PM

I have spare codes. Caesium and Bully can have 2 of 3. Check your specs, Bully.

Bully 05-03-2017 10:34 PM

Unfortunately my PC doesn't cut the mustard and with needing a new roof and a new washing machine too very soon then its looking like i'll be sitting this one out.

Unless i win the lottery.
I have lots of body parts crossed in anticipation !

caesium 05-08-2017 09:04 AM

Thanks for offering, but I'd rather wait until they finish it before having a go.

Paft 05-15-2017 06:50 PM

I still don't care for classes or "Champions" with different health/armour/speed in DM, especially when you all use the same weapons anyway. They'll of course be very useful in CTF and other modes, but for DM...what's the point. It's like playing TFC/FF on DM maps most of the time.

Once I learned bhop in TFC it ruined standard Quake for me. The lack of air control is just frustrating now. It was good to learn Anarki has air control but because of low health/armour, unless you get Quad or you're the best in the match you aren't going to win the round vs heavier Champs.

Give me a classic mode and I'll play the shit out of it.

FDA_Approved 05-15-2017 09:05 PM

I don't really care much for basic DM/TDM modes anyways so it's not a big deal to me. Sacrifice really isn't too bad even though it's getting totally panned on the forums.

And I totally agree I just can't have fun in a game like that unless I have air control. You should know sorlag also has air control. After they buffed his base speed and made his hit box smaller, he's all I've played. Obviously not as fast as anarki, but I've been having fun with him.

Another good thing to know is that the speed cap is only a strafe cap, and it's not a hard cap. Kind of weird but if you get boosts from any knock back you can maintain it in bhopping, at least on sorlag. I'm not sure if you maintain it indefinitely, or if it slowly bleeds. But get good at rocket boosting and you'll definitely notice some nice speed. Boosting with nails is something I should look into as well. They have knock back and you can wall climb with them, but idk if they'd give much horizontal speed.

caesium 05-16-2017 03:03 PM

Any idea if it's going to be on steam when it's released?

Paft 05-16-2017 05:48 PM

I think they'll try pushing it out on their own launcher for a while. Yes, they have a launcher...

http://i.imgur.com/idP8Lh3.jpg

caesium 08-18-2017 08:05 AM

22nd August
Steam
:thumbsup:

biohaZ 08-18-2017 06:37 PM

I'm making a team with wds, zelenjava, and overkill. Still looking for one more spot if anyone is interested.