Fortress Forever

Fortress Forever (https://forums.fortress-forever.com/index.php)
-   Chat (https://forums.fortress-forever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Another AVG Fail (https://forums.fortress-forever.com/showthread.php?t=20234)

Mooga 07-26-2009 06:37 AM

Another AVG Fail

AVG has a history of releasing updates that break things.
The update that deleted important .dll files comes to mind.
That and the update that tippled traffic to Wikipedia.

Now, AVG is flagging iTunes as a huge virus: Slashdot IT Story | AVG Update Breaks iTunes

uBeR 07-26-2009 06:52 AM

I was a big fan of AVG up until 8.5 came out. I'm thinking of getting a different one now.

Mooga 07-26-2009 11:10 AM

I personally use avast! home. Free and awesome (and computer voices).

Etzell 07-26-2009 03:27 PM

I use Kaspersky. Every so often there's a site that offers a mail-in rebate on it, ends up being free every time.

BlackHoleSon 07-26-2009 10:49 PM

A few friends of mine told me how AVG eff'd their itunes.

If im gonna use/recommend a free Antivirus, i'd say Avira Antivir with the startup protection enabled. Even the free version blocks stuff pretty well.

My absolute favorite AV is NOD32. never given me a single problem. Updates constantly and has instant protection from the nasty stuff. It also lets you know if windows isn't completely up to date so you don't overlook that security problem.

Phatman 07-27-2009 12:03 AM

Used to use AVG until it caused directX crashes in Half-Life 2 based games. Long gone now. Using Avast.

noeffeks 07-27-2009 06:48 AM

I agree with NOD32.

Bosley 07-27-2009 10:56 AM

switched from avg to avast about 5 years ago when avast was pretty much the only free anti-virus that offered a 64 bit windows version... never looked back

Lost 07-28-2009 05:49 PM

Avast and NOD32, got it. (makes bookmarks)

Paft 07-28-2009 06:14 PM

Never used AVG, but when I was deciding on what AV to use AVG looked shit, so took Avast!.

I'd use NOD32 if it had a free version.

Too many Security products are on the market.
http://anti-virus-software-review.toptenreviews.com/

xks 07-28-2009 08:38 PM

Kaspersky W7 Beta for me.

When it comes to Virii, trust a Russian. That's what I always say.

Bosley 07-29-2009 02:53 AM

one problem i've heard of with NOD32 is that it reports peerguardian 2 as malware which = false. i would think they'd have fixed that by now though.

Ihmhi 07-29-2009 05:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Etzell (Post 445177)
I use Kaspersky. Every so often there's a site that offers a mail-in rebate on it, ends up being free every time.

I love you Etz.

I recommend that shit to all of my customers because of the vulnerability detector (tells you if any installed software on your computer is out of date).

It either saves me work (customers upgrade stuff themselves), or it makes customers call me.

noeffeks 07-29-2009 08:31 AM

I recommend Kaspersky to all my customers too, cause we dont sell NOD32... third favorite, Panda.

I really like how I'm supposed to sell Norton 360 to every single person who buys a computer, but I refuse to sell that to anyone, ever.

Mooga 07-29-2009 02:16 PM

I spent a summer working with McAfee and actually like the product. However, avast! is more light-weight IMO.

RiverBelow 07-29-2009 03:07 PM

I got worried when I came home from work and saw the AVG warnings. It wasn't working, it broke iTunes, and eventually I just decided to reformat.
Then two days later I hear it was all a mistake.

I was so pissed, I've got Avast installed now. I'm thinking of purchasing NOD32, I've heard a lot of good things about it.

Demasu 07-30-2009 01:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RiverBelow (Post 445556)
I got worried when I came home from work and saw the AVG warnings. It wasn't working, it broke iTunes, and eventually I just decided to reformat.
Then two days later I hear it was all a mistake.

I was so pissed, I've got Avast installed now. I'm thinking of purchasing NOD32, I've heard a lot of good things about it.

That sounds like way overkill for that. I let AVG heal it, and then I said, well fuck, itunes doesn't work, so let's reinstall it! Guess what? It worked.

RiverBelow 08-05-2009 01:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demasu (Post 445645)
That sounds like way overkill for that. I let AVG heal it, and then I said, well fuck, itunes doesn't work, so let's reinstall it! Guess what? It worked.

AVG just decided to make thousands more of the .dll file or something, I uninstalled & reinstalled iTunes and sure enough iTunes wouldn't even run. I didn't know at the time obviously it was a glitch on AVG's part but the last thing I need is any of my accounts compromised, whether its Steam or a paypal so I wasn't ready to just let my computer be with questionable stuff on it.

~kev~ 08-05-2009 03:02 PM

Well, as far as I am concerned, itunes is a pest. It installs a service that runs when you start your computer, and you can not end the task through task manager. Or at least the first versions of itunes your couldn't - you might be able to now.

For someone that does not use itunes, I welcome anything that can remove it from my system. I usually go into administrative tools - services - and disable the itunes service. But a lot of people do not know how to do that. So itunes is just sitting there taking up memory.

noeffeks 08-05-2009 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ~kev~ (Post 446166)
Well, as far as I am concerned, itunes is a pest. It installs a service that runs when you start your computer, and you can not end the task through task manager. Or at least the first versions of itunes your couldn't - you might be able to now.

For someone that does not use itunes, I welcome anything that can remove it from my system. I usually go into administrative tools - services - and disable the itunes service. But a lot of people do not know how to do that. So itunes is just sitting there taking up memory.

Media Monkey, FTW