Fortress Forever

Fortress Forever (https://forums.fortress-forever.com/index.php)
-   Other Games (https://forums.fortress-forever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   L4D Thread (https://forums.fortress-forever.com/showthread.php?t=18211)

GeoKill-----> 04-22-2009 03:13 AM

OMG!!!!!!

Can't wait to hook up my gaming pc!

Sh4x 04-22-2009 03:23 AM

Survival is fun! Lighthouse is pretty fucking hard lol

My best score is like 12 mins on some level where you can camp a bathroom, but that's the only game I've gone over 10 mins.

Lost 04-22-2009 03:21 PM

They broked mah LAN-itude! Used to be able to run local vs games through console commands, can't do it at all now. :(

I'm sure survival will be fun when I can host games properly or at least get in a server that isn't laggy as hell.

Iggy 04-23-2009 02:10 AM

L4D Tourn

Details Here

If it wasn't this time of year, I'd be interested. Anyone here going to join it?

Lost 04-23-2009 01:04 PM

I think it'd be fun to do play with a good group of people.

greenday5494 04-24-2009 04:18 AM

L4D tourney? That's kinda retarded. Thats not that much skill in that game...

zSilver_Fox 04-24-2009 04:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by greenday5494 (Post 436221)
L4D tourney? That's kinda retarded. Thats not that much skill in that game...

Lulz.

Lost 04-24-2009 03:24 PM

Who started this thread? http://forums.fortress-forever.com/s...ad.php?t=18211

You can't go from fanboy to hater, it defies the laws of nature or some shit. Don't troll if you don't like it. But really, I could see VS as a viable tourney with good teams. The higher the relative skill level, the more creative they've got to be to get those extra few points in order to win.

GeoKill-----> 04-24-2009 05:35 PM

I once had a l4d clan for UGC, fun times getting raped

Lost 04-24-2009 05:43 PM

I still have yet to get my friends into a vs LAN. And this update actually broke our local connecting ability, dunno why either. No survivor LAN I guess. :(

greenday5494 04-24-2009 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lost (Post 436262)
Who started this thread? http://forums.fortress-forever.com/s...ad.php?t=18211

You can't go from fanboy to hater, it defies the laws of nature or some shit. Don't troll if you don't like it. But really, I could see VS as a viable tourney with good teams. The higher the relative skill level, the more creative they've got to be to get those extra few points in order to win.

Never said i didnt like it. I said it doesnt have that much skill. Plus, it got old after 2-3 months

Everything 04-24-2009 08:24 PM

It just needs more content, more variety, more shit.

Iggy 04-25-2009 12:56 AM

Laggy servers has always been a problem with L4D.... I can't fathom why Valve fucked with a server system that worked to get this retarded shit that pisses off more people than it pleases.

Guess they really care about us gamers/customers.........../sarcasm

Lost 04-25-2009 02:24 PM

If you type /openserverbrowser in the console, you can pull up a better way to find servers. I don't think it does anything but stick you in an active game if you join that way though but I don't really know. I just used it for our LAN games as a workaround to the lobby.

zSilver_Fox 04-25-2009 11:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by greenday5494 (Post 436311)
Never said i didnt like it. I said it doesnt have that much skill. Plus, it got old after 2-3 months

Somebody needs better friends.

Everything 04-26-2009 12:20 AM

He's right, but it's not in a bad way.

With the about 3-4 friends, L4D can be a blast. Make sure they have a sense of humor too, so it lengthens how long they stay in the game. I just wish I owned the game on steam.

Lost 04-26-2009 06:28 PM

Orange box is down to $10 this weekend, keep your eye open and maybe you can catch it on sale.

Lost 04-26-2009 07:28 PM

BTW, for those interested, I figured out how to do LAN games again without being online. You can host a full 4v4 with one Steam account theoretically, just make sure everyone is offline or that only the server computer is connected. This is if you have cheap bastard friends who refuse to buy their own copies. Note that if anyone that is offline presses the scoreboard key they will lag like a whore for 20-30 seconds, which is why I suggest the server comp is online. Everyone will also have the same name with a (x) number following it. Unoriginal but that's the price they pay for being cheap bastards.

First, you've gotta make sure everyone is on the same version, then pick your best computer to run the bitch. You've got to adjust a few things in the console, enable that through keyboard and mouse options. Once you can access the console, put:

sv_lan 1
sv_allow_lobby_connect_only 0

These two commands set it local and let you bypass the crappy lobby system. Next set the game type:

mp_gamemode (coop, survival, versus)

Then you pick your map. In the console you can type 'map l4d' and it will allow you to navigate through the existing maps with your up and down arrow keys through its command caching (I guess). Note that to do survival mode you have to select the appropriate map to that specific campaign, such as l4d_airport02_offices is the survivor mode of the Airport campaign. I believe the 2nd chapter of each campaign is the survival map.

[EDIT] I lied, looks like there are several survival maps for each campaign, none of them being the first map, at least that I could tell. Load em all up and see how they work, if it doesn't block you into an area with ammo and shit, then its not a survival map.

So, for example, you wanna do survivor on Death Toll in the sewers you would do:

mp_gamemode survival
map l4d_smalltown02_drainage

The exception is the lighthouse, it has its own map. Just set the gamemode to survival and load it.

To do vs on the appropriate maps you need to set the gamemode to 'versus' and then use the 'l4d_vs' maps. They're specifically edited for fair gameplay I assume. I do know you can load up vs on the non 'vs' maps as well, dunno the diff though.

Coop is obvious but if you don't want to figure it out, just load gamemode 'coop' with the standard 'l4d_' maps.

There are also programs out there to allow virtual LAN in case you wanna let use one copy of L4D on Steam. I haven't fucked with that yet so I'll let you find those yourself.

Just have those cheap bastards type /openserverbrowser in the console to see the server or do a direct connect with the IP's and you should be able to have some maximum carnage.

StoneFrog 04-26-2009 08:51 PM

Wasn't the "Survival Pack" (gimmicky update names are gimmicky) supposed to update the SDK to work with Left 4 Dead? I knew there was a catch. Valve never keeps their promise!

greenday5494 04-26-2009 10:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StoneFrog (Post 436488)
Wasn't the "Survival Pack" (gimmicky update names are gimmicky) supposed to update the SDK to work with Left 4 Dead? I knew there was a catch. Valve never keeps their promise!

yea and it's not exactly a "DLC". It's missing content + new gamemode that is director_panic_mode_forever 1

still fun though

i alsmot got silver on the gasstation, 2 seconds short :\