Fortress Forever

Fortress Forever (https://forums.fortress-forever.com/index.php)
-   Other Games (https://forums.fortress-forever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   L4D Thread (https://forums.fortress-forever.com/showthread.php?t=18211)

teh_rape 11-29-2008 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sh4x
Yeah, the game is meant to be played with people obviously. The versus mode is where it shines best imo. But thinking about it, even the campaign mode is the best coop game I've ever played. It's just that the versus mode is even better. Which makes other games very unattractive to me in comparison. Anyways, I gotta say it would be pretty cool to get more weapons... I mean, the possibilities are endless, yet they come up with only the very basic weapons. Why no rocket launcher? Why no strip mine? What about a flamethrower? Those would definitely spice up the experience for me.

I prefer campaign if I just want to kill zombies, in verse mode you just run straight through the level.. campaign you can't really do that. However playing as the infected kicks ass so it evens out.

Suite307 11-29-2008 07:24 PM

Credge is the Ron Paul of bleeding pussies.

Caboose45 11-29-2008 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sh4x
Yeah, the game is meant to be played with people obviously. The versus mode is where it shines best imo. But thinking about it, even the campaign mode is the best coop game I've ever played. It's just that the versus mode is even better. Which makes other games very unattractive to me in comparison. Anyways, I gotta say it would be pretty cool to get more weapons... I mean, the possibilities are endless, yet they come up with only the very basic weapons. Why no rocket launcher? Why no strip mine? What about a flamethrower? Those would definitely spice up the experience for me.

Because they tried to make the weapons realistic; you aren't going to find a damn mine or a flamethrower (America doesn't even use those in the military anymore) in a city or a rural countryside

Credge 11-29-2008 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suite307
Credge is the Ron Paul of bleeding pussies.

I just don't want to be forced to play with an AI if I don't want to. That's all.

Sh4x 11-29-2008 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Caboose45
Because they tried to make the weapons realistic; you aren't going to find a damn mine or a flamethrower (America doesn't even use those in the military anymore) in a city or a rural countryside

Yeah I dunno... I think that's a lame excuse for not including cool weapons. A game where you shoot zombies isn't necessarily the first place where'd I'd look if I wanted to have a realistic gaming experience if you know what I mean... and like I said, there are so many fun possibilities that would work well with this game. I think including cool weapons would bring more fun to the game than the aspect of realism that they presumably tried to achieve with guns and.... all kind of weird zombies... but that's just me.

teh_rape 11-29-2008 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Credge
I just don't want to be forced to play with an AI if I don't want to. That's all.

kill your team and play by yourself then.

Credge 11-29-2008 10:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by teh_rape
kill your team and play by yourself then.

The AI director is trash and doesn't actually do what it's advertised to do. You always get hordes of enemies when enemies come. Otherwise, yes, I would do that. Instead, I have to rely on poorly made AI if I don't have anything other than the optimized 4 players. 3 players and 1 AI is not fun. Not in Versus, not in Campaign, nadda.

In related news, my dad has played the game to the point where he knows what is coming next. "Pipe bombs will be in this next room." "The witch is going to be on top of the ladder. Don't go up it, take the stairs instead."

How does he know? Because the director is terrible and nothing is random.

Sigh. Easily the worst valve product since Ricochet.

Edit: Also in related news: The AI is just really bad. I can't get over how poor it is. Lets stand in a group as a tank runs up to a car. Would players ever, EVER stand together when facing a tank in a wide open area? Would they stand together, standing completely still, shooting a tank as he runs up to a car, hits attack on the car, messes the attack up, and then hits the car in to both of them?

No. Never.

The number of times this has happened to me is nearly equal to the number of games I've played. God damn why is the AI so bad?

Also, I found out that the AI does indeed do friendly fire. The thing is, it doesn't damage you. Instead, it just jerks your camera a bit. Fantastic. A cheating AI. Weird how my complaints about AI always come full circle.

Caboose45 11-29-2008 11:14 PM

Quote:

QQ

If you don't like it so much, then why do you play it, and why do you have to sit here and complain about it?

From my experience, I have never seen a witch in the EXACT same spot twice even after playing through the no mercy campaign 18 times; and the director does work well, alot better than you say he does.

shadow 11-29-2008 11:23 PM

the AI director is indistinguishable from random spawn points imo.

Credge 11-29-2008 11:37 PM

Quote:

If you don't like it so much, then why do you play it, and why do you have to sit here and complain about it?

From my experience, I have never seen a witch in the EXACT same spot twice even after playing through the no mercy campaign 18 times; and the director does work well, alot better than you say he does.

Because I payed money for it and I'm disappointed in my purchase? Why do you have to sit here and read what I post? Hypocrite much? I voice my concerns and complaints because I'm a human being and have emotions. I get angry and become disappointed when things I've waited a long time for turn out to be terrible and not up to my expectations DESPITE it being exactly like I thought it would.

Mainly, my complains revolve around the A.I. I've made a thread about how bad A.I. has always been and when the A.I. is something that was a MAJOR selling point in this game, I had a feeling it would be better than a typical games AI. God damn was I wrong.

Witches spawn consistently in the same spots. Be more observant, I don't know. My dad has tank and witch spawns down. "Witch will be up on the next hall. We can sneak by her." Well, sure enough, once I turn the hall I hear the crying. "Tank will start to come once we step across this area." Sure enough, we stepped across something and BAM tank music starts playing.

Zombie rushes seemed to be based more on a timer than anything else, with that timer being based on what speed the game wants you to play at. Stopping or going faster than normal makes the timer go faster than it normally would. That's not bad, but there's no "director" about it. The only random bits are:

What area you are in when a zombie horde comes (depends on how fast you go ~ if you go the same speed every time like my group does, you'll see the exact same things every single time).

How many zombies come at you when a boomer barfs.

What direction the zombies come from.

What boss infected spawn (specific ones spawn in the same areas... for example, boomers on top of the tunnel in the second campaign... always fall to their death).

The game is fine with 4 players. It's a lot of fun. The game becomes unbearable when I have to rely on an AI, especially when the AI does not respond to commands (despite the commands existing).

Agent Buckshot Moose 11-29-2008 11:47 PM

Pros:
+ Really captures the zombie movie feel. My friend and I were stuck in the neighborhood... He barely had any health and was on his last knockdown. We continually raided buildings for medical supplies (finding none of course) all the while fighting for our own survival. We finally found some medkits after what seemed like a long time...

+ The randomly generated monsters make the static levels at least a tad different every so often.

+ Awesome teamwork game where you don't feel entirely useless as an individual unit, but at the same time you need your team to survive.

Cons:
- Only two players on one console? That's right, I got the 360 version. Seriously. Wtf. Update that shit.

- Needs more weapons and levels, although the ones there now will keep me busy for awhile.

GeoKill-----> 11-30-2008 05:14 AM

Stats
http://www.steampowered.com/status/l4d/

greenday5494 11-30-2008 06:26 AM

Quote:

the sooner you learn credge hates nearly every video game (much like Yahtzee, but much less funny the better. But, i do agree on one thing. The bot's AI is pretty terribad. But, the zombie's AI, specially the boomer and hunter are pretty good

i have little complaints about the AI director, except for the placement of tanks. They are usually the same spots

Credge 11-30-2008 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by greenday5494
the sooner you learn credge hates nearly every video game (much like Yahtzee, but much less funny the better. But, i do agree on one thing. The bot's AI is pretty terribad. But, the zombie's AI, specially the boomer and hunter are pretty good

i have little complaints about the AI director, except for the placement of tanks. They are usually the same spots

I like the game, I just don't like the really bad AI buddies that the game forces you to have if you don't have anything more than the holy quadratical.

But yes, I don't like most games. There are about 20 games I've ever liked that I can list. I also don't count mods.

Gunstar Heroes
Quackshot
Secret of Mana 2
FFT
Disgaea
Brothers in Arms: Hells Highway
CoD5
WC1/2/3 (I count these as one game as I like the entire series because of the orc)
Ultima Online
Medal of Honor: Airborne
Twisted Metal 2 or 3... I forget which
Baldurs Gate 2
NWN 1
Diablo 2 (this is probably the best game ever made)
C&C Generals
MGS Series

And that's about it. There are a few older gems from the NES that I can't remember the name of but that's about it. There's also probably a few sega/snes games that I'm missing as well but... really, that's about it. Gaming does not get better than those things I listed.

Circuitous 12-01-2008 02:38 AM

The Twisted Metal you liked was 2, because 3 sucked.

Apparently "music from Rob Zombie!" overrules good characters and levels.

YomMamasHouse 12-07-2008 01:40 AM

I just got this today and loved it. Three of my friends and I went through two of the campaigns on hard and it was epic. Having humans with you is so much better than dumbass AI.

Lost 12-07-2008 02:19 AM

Yeah, Twisted Metal, oh the many hours spent cursing at the cheating bitch ass computer. Played the shit out of 1, 2 and Black.

CaLeB- 12-07-2008 11:59 PM

Quote:

Suite307 12-09-2008 03:52 AM

Quote:

I like the game, I just don't like the really bad AI buddies that the game forces you to have if you don't have anything more than the holy quadratical.

But yes, I don't like most games. There are about 20 games I've ever liked that I can list. I also don't count mods.

Gunstar Heroes
Quackshot
Secret of Mana 2
FFT
Disgaea
Brothers in Arms: Hells Highway
CoD5
WC1/2/3 (I count these as one game as I like the entire series because of the orc)
Ultima Online
Medal of Honor: Airborne
Twisted Metal 2 or 3... I forget which
Baldurs Gate 2
NWN 1
C&C Generals
MGS Series

And that's about it. There are a few older gems from the NES that I can't remember the name of but that's about it. There's also probably a few sega/snes games that I'm missing as well but... really, that's about it. Gaming does not get better than those things I listed.

Win.

SomeOldGuy 12-10-2008 07:23 PM

Zero Punctuation review:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/vide...59-Left-4-Dead