Fortress Forever

Fortress Forever (https://forums.fortress-forever.com/index.php)
-   Chat (https://forums.fortress-forever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Tech Suport are Morons (https://forums.fortress-forever.com/showthread.php?t=21073)

Mooga 11-10-2009 08:09 PM

Tech Suport are Morons
 
So my intertubes went down yesterday and I had to call Comcast. Now let me say that GENERALLY I've had good luck with Comcast. Good up time and very fast speeds. But I needed to get the net back up because the family uses it for business. So as always I call up as someone who is completely technologically illiterate. This is what I learned:
- Comcast gives you 50Gb of bandwidth (Lies, it's actually 250GB a month)
- Watching videos on sites like netflix, hulu, and youtube is "streaming" and doesn't use bandwidth because it doesn't save on your harddrive (How do they know?)
- Uploading is not bandwidth (Because "bandwidth" is only when things are saved to your harddrive, see?)

Conclusion: Comcast tech support are MORONS. If I didn't know better, I would have actually fallen for his shit. How do people like this get jobs?

provost 11-10-2009 08:31 PM

I believe anyone who can read what a monitor screen tells them to say can work as tech support.

Wanna hear a good one? Called circuit city the other day.

I speak french and in french six ( 6 ) is pronounced '' Siss ''

And when i asked if they had any wifi linkSYS (6 ?) router they told me they only had linkFIVE in stock.

LinkFive Routers... save one for me i'm buyin it.

MonoXideAtWork 11-10-2009 09:19 PM

comcast caps your monthly upload/download? That's news.

Credge 11-10-2009 09:37 PM

I'd like to say that the Windows tech support guys are abso-fucking-lutely amazing.

My dad had to reinstall windows 7 because he didn't like some setting he had... or something. I'm not really sure the reason, but he did it. Anyway, he had a problem while installing it (not user error) and the windows guy quickly realized the issue buuuuuuuut it was sorta top-secret stuff. I mean, I could tell you what it was, but I dunno, you can google probably.

Anyway, he got the O.K. to tell him the biggest Windows 7 secret on the planet and, after that, he sat there and made sure everything was going good.

After that, a Microsoft rep called and made sure everything went well. Also, the guy who did the tech support stuff sent my dad an e-mail making sure everything went well. The next day, another Microsoft rep called to make sure everything went fine.

:)

Ricey 11-10-2009 10:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mooga (Post 456990)
So my intertubes went down yesterday and I had to call Comcast. Now let me say that GENERALLY I've had good luck with Comcast. Good up time and very fast speeds. But I needed to get the net back up because the family uses it for business. So as always I call up as someone who is completely technologically illiterate. This is what I learned:
- Comcast gives you 50Gb of bandwidth (Lies, it's actually 250GB a month)
- Watching videos on sites like netflix, hulu, and youtube is "streaming" and doesn't use bandwidth because it doesn't save on your harddrive (How do they know?)
- Uploading is not bandwidth (Because "bandwidth" is only when things are saved to your harddrive, see?)

Conclusion: Comcast tech support are MORONS. If I didn't know better, I would have actually fallen for his shit. How do people like this get jobs?


This will make ya scream

Comcast Tech : " What OS are you running "

Me : "OS X - Snow Leopard and Fedora"

Comcast Tech : "What is Fedora"

Me : "Linux"

Comcast : " Are you running any anti-virus or anti-spyware on this machine"

Enough said.

KubeDawg 11-10-2009 11:16 PM

Yeah, fixed title should read "Comcast Tech Support are Morons"

They really need to start putting Cox comm in locations where they offer Comcast. It's a much better company, and they offer up to 25m down and 5m up connections. I've always had success with their tech support here.

Mooga 11-11-2009 12:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MonoXideAtWork (Post 456995)
comcast caps your monthly upload/download? That's news.

Comcast has been "limiting" bandwidth to 250GB a month for well over a year now, I think. They don't really limit you. If you cross 250, you "may get a warning letting warning you of excessive bandwidth usage." If it happens again (within a year, I think) You get kicked off of Comcast. Some how I have yet to hit that mark. I get worried because not only do I download a lot... but My sisters stream TV shows all the time and my parents also use the internet all day long...

MonoXideAtWork 11-11-2009 12:34 AM

Do they provide you free webspace?

Ricey 11-11-2009 02:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mooga (Post 457013)
Comcast has been "limiting" bandwidth to 250GB a month for well over a year now, I think. They don't really limit you. If you cross 250, you "may get a warning letting warning you of excessive bandwidth usage." If it happens again (within a year, I think) You get kicked off of Comcast. Some how I have yet to hit that mark. I get worried because not only do I download a lot... but My sisters stream TV shows all the time and my parents also use the internet all day long...

I got a warning when I hit the 2TB mark ;D

Mooga 11-11-2009 02:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MonoXideAtWork (Post 457015)
Do they provide you free webspace?

Who Know? Who cares?
Webspace is cheap. I've owned my own webspace for many many years now.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ricey (Post 457021)
I got a warning when I hit the 2TB mark ;D

How did you hit the 2 TB mark!? I download a LOT and still don't hit that. Are you pirating a large amount of HD TV shows and Games?

MonoXideAtWork 11-11-2009 06:04 AM

whoa buddy.

Suite307 11-11-2009 06:55 AM

Lucky guys, my provider gives me 30gb ( that's upload /download combined ) of bandwith per month for like 50$ a month

Circuitous 11-11-2009 08:43 AM

Actually I've had pretty good luck with Comcast here. The modem we got from them is finnicky as hell but they've walked us through getting it set up initially and when we changed out routers.

The only interesting story I have from them involves our service. We've got the 22 Mbps service, and have had it for a few months now. We're the only ones in the area that bothered to get it, as far as I know.

Anyway, at first we noticed no speed increase. We topped out at about 2,000 kbps down, roughly a 6 Mbps connection (according to the speed test's math). So we would call them and complain, and they'd say well according to this you've got the 22 Mbps. We're not sure what's going on, so we'll send a tech down.

So the tech gets here and scopes out the house, everything is fine internally, the routers are configured properly, the modem is functioning, etc. So he heads outside.

For those of you familiar with cable, you know that splitters are generally a bad thing, and they can pretty severely downgrade the quality of a signal coming through it. The tech came back in, 3 splitters in his hand, and told us that they were connected to the main cable, right as it enters the house, for absolutely no reason. He removed them, replaced the cable for good measure, and we should be fine now.

We checked the speed. 20,000 kbps. Best part, though? No charge for the service, and in fact we were refunded 3 months' worth of the difference between 6 and 22 Mbps service. That's pretty fuckin' hard to beat.

Marshmallow Noob 11-11-2009 11:14 AM

That is pretty sweet.

Mooga 11-11-2009 06:23 PM

haha, good deal Circuitous!

Comcast is actaully great a majority of the time. I just hate having to deal with tech suport.

Ricey 11-11-2009 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mooga (Post 457022)
Who Know? Who cares?
Webspace is cheap. I've owned my own webspace for many many years now.



How did you hit the 2 TB mark!? I download a LOT and still don't hit that. Are you pirating a large amount of HD TV shows and Games?



Yea, anime, was running a IRC Bot

Innoc 11-14-2009 05:14 PM

First tier helpdesk/support is a mixed bag regardless of the company. Generally those who are good at what they do won't stay there very long. Those who are very bad eventually get booted. Pay isn't generally enough to keep someone with any ambition and/or ability for any length of time. So you end up with a parade of new hires or people with mediocre skills who are reading from a troubleshooting tree and forcing you to play along on the home version of the game.

That said...Dell's Gold Enterprise first tier team is pretty damned good...mostly because I don't think that Enterprise Customers will put up with anything else.


All times are GMT. The time now is 06:20 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.