Fortress Forever

Fortress Forever (https://forums.fortress-forever.com/index.php)
-   Mapping (https://forums.fortress-forever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Mapping Contest 250$ for the winner (https://forums.fortress-forever.com/showthread.php?t=23869)

WubbaDucky 04-13-2013 05:43 PM

Mapping Contest 250$ for the winner

So:

I decided to do a mapping contest.
I ve talked about it on IRC, but due to some busy stuff, I havent got into it yet.

The winner gets 250$.

The rules and flow will be:

The map must be playable and will be played in a pickup.
Mappers may post images and screens, to get feedback from players, but not obliged. its your own choice.

it must be a 'balanced' CTF map.
You get 30 days to make the map.

The winner gets picked after the maps are played once on ff.pickup AND a seperate voting poll will be created so people can give their votes here on the forum.
If there is a tie in the amount of votes, the 250$ will be split into two.

The contest will start when mimimum 3 mappers will sign up / confirm in this post that they will participate.

I will not vote on this contest.

Any questions or remarques, plz plost it here.

hadez 04-13-2013 05:52 PM

bump. good idea.

homie in reboks' 04-13-2013 06:26 PM

I'll give it a try, but I'm bad. Banking on a participation prize, tbh.

FDA_Approved 04-13-2013 08:52 PM

I'll participate.

ddm999 04-13-2013 09:19 PM

Hey, I'll enter.

3rd entry LETS GOOOO

ddm999 04-14-2013 07:49 PM

20 Q - aka. 20 Questions, but about a map battle, not to find what you're thinking of

So, got some (by some, I mean lots) questions:
(Some of these questions aren't based around myself, but I know some people might want to know the answers.)

Balanced means symmetrical, avg. of 10 caps in OvD pickup, works well for all classes, or what combination of those?

What forms of CTF can I my map be for (CTF / RCTF / Shutdown CTF / OvD CTF / other custom CTF-based gametype)?

Can I put my map on #ff.pickup before the contest ends to test the map?

Can I add large parts to my map from an already existing map?

Can the layout of my map be similar to an already existing map?

Can I enter multiple maps?

When do I upload my map? Do I have to do it before the contest ends, or do I do it just after the contest ends?

Do I have to upload my map to the public? Can I just send it to you, and you distribute it?

Do I place screenshots of my map in this thread or another one?

When do I place my screenshots? Can I upload them before the contest ends, or just after the contest ends?

Can I make my map another thread on the forums?

Can my contest map be an unfinished version that I will work on after the contest ends?

Can I use special class limits on my map?

Can I create a custom Lua for my map, or must it use base_ctf?
(If I can use Security CTF, do I use base_shutdown, or can I copy the code from ff_aardvark, which is much more streamlined and better?)
(If I can use Reverse CTF, do I use base_ctf and switch around flag places and cap places, or or can I copy the code from ff_epicenter, which is more detailed and features a system designed for RCTF - not OvD RCTF?)

If I can create a custom Lua, does it have to be similar to the specified CTF gamemode (not much custom code), or can it contain as much custom code as I want (allowing for rather crazy custom CTF gametypes)?

aleXtric 04-15-2013 07:58 AM

the maps should prob be played a minimum 3 times each before deciding. first tests can be chaotic.

-mooney- 04-15-2013 01:11 PM

ill enter just because ddm is entered :evil:

ddm999 04-15-2013 03:11 PM

Can you even map, mooney? :O

PS: mnz sux

-mooney- 04-15-2013 03:28 PM

whats a map?

ian.de 04-15-2013 04:58 PM

Can I playyyyyY?

I need an excuse to fire up hammer again soon, count me in!!

We should post this on some other source mod forums, I'm sure there are some hobbyist mappers who would like a chance at a cash prize and some prestige.

homie in reboks' 04-15-2013 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aleXtric (Post 499095)
the maps should prob be played a minimum 3 times each before deciding. first tests can be chaotic.

ff_shark was a beauty from the first time I spawned.

ddm999 04-15-2013 08:10 PM

ned ansurs two questuns

Well, I have my first alpha for my map worked out. Would really help if you answered those questions about testing before the contest ends, Wubba.

homie in reboks' 04-15-2013 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ddm999 (Post 499093)
1.Balanced means symmetrical, avg. of 10 caps in OvD pickup, works well for all classes, or what combination of those?

2.What forms of CTF can I my map be for (CTF / RCTF / Shutdown CTF / OvD CTF / other custom CTF-based gametype)?

3.Can I put my map on #ff.pickup before the contest ends to test the map?

4.Can I add large parts to my map from an already existing map?

5.Can the layout of my map be similar to an already existing map?

6.Can I enter multiple maps?

7.When do I upload my map? Do I have to do it before the contest ends, or do I do it just after the contest ends?

8.Do I have to upload my map to the public? Can I just send it to you, and you distribute it?

9.Do I place screenshots of my map in this thread or another one?

10.When do I place my screenshots? Can I upload them before the contest ends, or just after the contest ends?

11.Can I make my map another thread on the forums?

12.It can be unfinished as long as it's playable. That seems to be the key. Of course, the more finished it is the better off you are.

13.Can I use special class limits on my map?

14.Can I create a custom Lua for my map, or must it use base_ctf?
(If I can use Security CTF, do I use base_shutdown, or can I copy the code from ff_aardvark, which is much more streamlined and better?)
(If I can use Reverse CTF, do I use base_ctf and switch around flag places and cap places, or or can I copy the code from ff_epicenter, which is more detailed and features a system designed for RCTF - not OvD RCTF?)

15.If I can create a custom Lua, does it have to be similar to the specified CTF gamemode (not much custom code), or can it contain as much custom code as I want (allowing for rather crazy custom CTF gametypes)?

1. Balanced means the map doesn't over-emphasize one style of play. A map can be D-Friendly(2fort, SD2, Stowaway, etc..) or O-Friendly(Propinquity, Congestus, ChangeofPace, etc...). As with everything, it's better if your map allows for a variety of styles and configurations of strategy and play.

2. I'm fairly certain you can do whatever you want as long as it's basically CTF i.e. not Attackers vs Defenders. As long as it's something you could see people playing in the pickup channel without rage quitting before the map even starts.

3. I'm not really sure. I would guess no, though. Wubba will have to tell you for sure.

4. & 5. Large parts, no. Small pieces, sure (Don't just port a large portion of geometry piece by piece). Lots of maps have similar designs, but if you think you're stealing another mapper's work then you probably are. Don't steal. Really, the goal is to be creative and make something new. So, I'd think your best bet would be to stick to your own creations.

6. I would guess no. Wubba will have to tell you for sure. Don't make six shitty maps; Make one great one filled with details and doo-dads.

7. There will most likely be a cut-off date posted by Wubba. After that maps will be uploaded to a server and played. This is only an assumption, and is liable to change. I'm just guessing after all.

8. I don't think you'll have to upload it to the public if you don't want. It's going to be tested via the pickup channel. So, this shouldn't be an issue.

9. I'd guess you should just put them in this thread then wubba can combine them into a new thread for voting. If not, you can always edit your posts here to remove the screenshots.

10. It seems, according to what wubba said at the start, that you can post screenshots beforehand, and that that will be the main way to receive critiques from other people.

11. I'm not sure why you would do this during the contest. After it's over if you want to release the map or a newer version then a new thread seems fine.

12. I doubt it. Maps have to be playable by the end. It doesn't mean the map has to be perfect by the contest's end, and you can always go back and work on it.

13. I don't see why not. It's your map. The only rules seems to be that it has to be a CTF map.

14. & 15. I'm sure you can create your own custom LUA. There doesn't seem to be a limit on custom code. Again, it just has to be CTF.

There you go. Find Wubba for more official answers.

ddm999 04-15-2013 10:06 PM

ty homie.

mooney told me what he thought in IRC, and he said:

Quote:

3.Can I put my map on #ff.pickup before the contest ends to test the map?
would be yes.

AND

Quote:

2.What forms of CTF can I my map be for (CTF / RCTF / Shutdown CTF / OvD CTF / other custom CTF-based gametype)?
would just be CTF and Shutdown CTF...

Clear this stuff up, WubberDuckle?

WubbaDucky 04-16-2013 02:07 AM

ok,
i was about to answer everything now, but it seems its been answered, ty homie :mrgreen:

As for now:

the contest starts now and ends 16th of MAY!
After the 16th the maps are played!
And i agree with Alextric:

Maps will be played minimum 2-3 times first before the voting starts. THX!

GOOD LUCK

WubbaDucky 04-16-2013 02:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ddm999 (Post 499110)
ty homie.

mooney told me what he thought in IRC, and he said:

would be yes.

AND

would just be CTF and Shutdown CTF...

Clear this stuff up, WubberDuckle?

You MAY, but then again, think really good about the choice you make. people tend to influence you with their opinions too much sometimes.
It's allowed, but any mind is easiliy blown off a certain idea. Also, you would allow other competitors to test ur map ingame.
Showing pics / screens is not the same as the actual feel.

And yes, CTF/SD CTF.

WubbaDucky 04-16-2013 02:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ian.de (Post 499102)
Can I playyyyyY?

I need an excuse to fire up hammer again soon, count me in!!

We should post this on some other source mod forums, I'm sure there are some hobbyist mappers who would like a chance at a cash prize and some prestige.

Ofc you can. I just didnt bothered you on purpose on skype or IRC with it, because......... ;) so much shit to do. :mrgreen:

WubbaDucky 04-16-2013 02:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aleXtric (Post 499095)

I agree and that will be the rule.

Every map will be played 3 times.

ddm999 04-16-2013 04:18 PM

Nice quad-post, n00b.

I've just shown mooney the alpha of my map already on your server. I'm not too fussed about it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by that wubba guy
Also, you would allow other competitors to test ur map ingame.

will just drive the competitors to make a better map, everybody wins.

EDIT: I've removed
Quote:

Not too fussed for the money tho, so if I win (highly unlikely) it can go to second place.
from my initial post. I'm sure I can find something to do with £130...
(and the Valve Complete Pack is just £50, so I have so much to buy :DD)