Fortress Forever

Fortress Forever (https://forums.fortress-forever.com/index.php)
-   Maps (https://forums.fortress-forever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   (Beta) ff_duckhunt (Last Update: 20th Oct|BETA5 release/Screens) (https://forums.fortress-forever.com/showthread.php?t=11919)

Pon 09-28-2007 02:32 PM

ff_duckhunt (Last Update: 20th Oct|BETA5 release/Screens)

Ok, this is just a silly map that I started mostly to give me chance to to get to grips with the LUA stuff. It's not gonna be the best looking map you've ever seen, I'll admit, nor is there a real theme to the actual map, but hopefully it'll be a fun map to mess around on late-night :)

The basic premise is that the snipers (Hunters) shoot down the scouts/medics (Ducks), while they conc through the air trying to hit the targets. Hunters score a great deal more points for a flying duck rather than a grounded one, while the ducks score more points for hitting the higher, smaller target.

As a further incentive for the Ducks to aim for the target, the water is poisonous, and they go splat if they hit the cliff wall. :D

Anyways.. screens:

Ramp and Targets
Sniper Base
Sniper's View

The map thus far is functionally complete - detail needs to be worked on a bit, make it look a little less sparse (and the ramp is to be replaced), and some lighting needs tweaked as well. The LUA is mostly functional, a few changes to make and test yet, but the bones of it works.

EDIT #1 - Latest Screenshots:

Duck's Base
The Ramp, Target, and Right Sniper Base
Left Sniper Base and Target
Sniper's View of the Ramp
Sniper's view of the target

EDIT #2 - BETA2 map release (See info top of page 2):

Superceeded by BETA3 below.

EDIT #3 - BETA3 map release

Changes from previous versions
# Raised Hunters view
# Protective forcefield for Duck spawn
# Teleporters between Hunter's bases
# Minor detail changes
Download HERE!

EDIT #4 - More W.I.P Screenshots (needs 3D skybox badly)

Inside Duck's base
Sniper's view from the right base
Sniper's view of the targets
Overview looking NE
Overview looking SW

EDIT #5 - BETA4

Download HERE - nothing changed with the mechanics, just looks better.

EDIT #6 - BETA5

Looking out at the Target
Overview looking NE
Overview looking NW
Overview looking SE
Inside the Sniper's base
Looking out the top window

Download HERE

barronofhellion 09-28-2007 02:40 PM

lol omg this will win awards for late night drunkin' gaming ...

Boogieman117 09-28-2007 02:47 PM

I like it! it's a bit like 'pull' from TFC, but instead of presidents, it's concer's. My only suggestion is that the sniper's field of view is way too big (you can see down to the ramp where the medics and scouts come out from).

Maybe limit the sniper bunkers to smaller windows or make the ramp conc exit lower then the FOV of the sniper and I'd say this is a good map.

Lemme know when you're done with it and I'll put it in my rotation. :)

Pon 09-28-2007 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barronofhellion
... late night drunkin' gaming ...

EXACTLY what I was going for :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boogieman117
My only suggestion is that the sniper's field of view is way too big (you can see down to the ramp where the medics and scouts come out from).

Maybe limit the sniper bunkers to smaller windows or make the ramp conc exit lower then the FOV of the sniper and I'd say this is a good map.

Yeah, thats the one thing I've been thinking would probably need to change. I'm hoping to get a playtest of it over the weekend and try out a few things with it, see what works best.

Glad to hear there's interest though, wasn't sure if I should have bothered to try finishing it off and release it, given it started as an excuse for me to test stuff :)

Ihmhi 09-28-2007 07:04 PM

Maybe you can extend a wall or something on the side of the sniper deck's window so they can not see the entrance from any view?

Gigiya 09-29-2007 03:14 AM

the ducks should be the yellow team!

paranoidkirb 09-29-2007 04:03 AM

For some reason, I was actually expecting a 5reddots kind of map.

Ihmhi 09-29-2007 04:07 AM

Oh, and for the love of crap please disable all weapons (save for concs) on the duck side and AR, nades, and nailgun on the hunter side.

Lt Llama 09-29-2007 08:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gigiya
the ducks should be the yellow team!

I agree, ducks are YELLOW, or is that chickens?

Pon 09-29-2007 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ihmhi
Oh, and for the love of crap please disable all weapons (save for concs) on the duck side and AR, nades, and nailgun on the hunter side.

Yep, they'll be going, just haven't scripted it yet. As for the sniper window, I'll be trying out a few ideas for dealing with it, hopefully today, see whats best.

As for the colour, well, Green fits better surely? [EDIT:] Actually, I'll just leave it blue, seeing as there isn't the textures I used in a green version. Or yellow.

Pon 10-03-2007 05:06 PM

Well, I've reworked the main part of the map (the displacement walls were too big, and causing problems, so I've gone with another theme). The shots probably show it a bit better than I can explain, so here:

Duck's Base
The Ramp, Target, and Right Sniper Base
Left Sniper Base and Target
Sniper's View of the Ramp
Sniper's view of the target

The LUA is complete, working as per my first post describes (aside from the differentiation between Air/Ground targets using player:IsInAir(), can't seem to get that to work), and has been tested. Only weapons allowed are the Crowbar/Medkit/Sniper Rifle.

The map needs some tweaks still... mostly making it look half-decent.

Considering a namechange... duckhunt was more about the idea behind the map, but the map itself doen't bear much resemblance to it, in terms of a theme... Suggestions welcome!

Iggy 10-04-2007 12:36 AM

When will this be available for testing? I am looking forward to it!! It looks like fun!

Desyphur 10-04-2007 05:08 PM

I can't wait for this map. Also, "Fly Away - Large" Awesome.

Pon 10-04-2007 07:52 PM

Dunno if I'll release a test/beta version, we'll see I guess...

"Fly Away - Large" - the large refers to the target hit if anyone was wondering. :) . Did consider "Easy" or "Hard" too, still undecided. Probably best as the latter...

SizeableSSonic 10-05-2007 12:19 AM

... but who's the dog?

kam 10-05-2007 04:13 AM

it should look like actual duck hunt :(

Pon 10-05-2007 10:40 AM

Yeah, I agree Kam, which is why I said the following a few posts above :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pon
Considering a namechange... duckhunt was more about the idea behind the map, but the map itself doen't bear much resemblance to it, in terms of a theme... Suggestions welcome!

Boogieman117 10-05-2007 01:39 PM

ff_hitthewall
ff_duckhunt
ff_concnshoot
ff_concndie
ff_snipeconc
ff_concsnipe

Those are my ideas...

Now, I see water on the bottom.. is there a tube underwater that 'floats' the player back to the respawn/jump room, or is it just a 'teleport' back (aka conc jump maps if you fail a jump) ?

I saw the way you made the snipers view longer, yet not low enough to bottleneck the concer entrance. My only thought is how well does it work with the ramp with concs ([have you played ff_skeeball], is that an accelerator ramp ala skeeball or just a plain jane conc ramp)?

Pon 10-05-2007 01:52 PM

I'll keep those names in mind. ff_concndie is probably my favourite out of those, seems to describe it fairly accuratly :D

As for the water, neither. It's deadly.

The ramp is just a plain jane conc ramp. It's definitly enough to get either target with a bit of practice, though mind you over the making of the map I've done the jump too many times to count now :). Hopefully the playtest I have arranged for it (didn't get one last weekend like I hoped :( ) with a few guys I know will help me refine it if needs be.

MrBeefy 10-05-2007 08:23 PM

that's a fun map