Fortress Forever

Fortress Forever (https://forums.fortress-forever.com/index.php)
-   Chat (https://forums.fortress-forever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Who's still choosing XP over Vista? (https://forums.fortress-forever.com/showthread.php?t=13679)

Innoc 01-02-2008 04:13 PM

Who's still choosing XP over Vista?

Hey, bitch about it if you like but here's a piece from ZDNET about who's actually continuing to choose XP over Vista.

Ed Bott blog on ZDNET

This isn't surprising to me given the desire, by IT managers, to keep their support field as stable and homogenized as possible.

Quote:

But I stumbled on an unexpected source of data that has helped me get a much better picture on what the actual numbers might be like. As it turns out, Dell has published a large database of information about its current inventory for anyone to see, and I was able to sift through it to form some surprising conclusions about the current relationship between XP and Vista in the PC marketplace. The short version: Consumers have embraced Vista overwhelmingly, whereas small business is much more reluctant, preferring XP by a better than 2-to-1 margin.

Paft 01-02-2008 04:59 PM

Switching to Visa when when I get some upgrades. Tested it out several months ago, nowt wrong with it.

All the whinging from people saying "it sucks" are the ones on low end machines or nubs.

zSilver_Fox 01-02-2008 05:16 PM

My only issue with Vista is the resource hoggery. For most performance or power users, that is a thing of pure evilness.

XP runs fine for me right now, it doesn't have the issues Vista does, and Vista doesn't offer me anything I really need.

Vicious 01-02-2008 05:20 PM

And there are still some softwares that DO NOT support Vista yet, not many, but some. I had the chance to install vista when I reinstalled windows a couple weeks back, but I didn't. It just doesn't seem worth it to me. I don't see anything but useless flare with it (I'm a very simple person).

פֿяαιп βαмαgεפ 01-02-2008 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paft
Switching to Visa when when I get some upgrades. Tested it out several months ago, nowt wrong with it.

All the whinging from people saying "it sucks" are the ones on low end machines or nubs.

Asus PK5R mobo: http://www.asus.com/999/images/products/1799/1799_l.jpg
LG DVD RW +/- 20x layer
Corsair 2gig DDR2 RAM
Cooler Master PSU eXtreme 430W feed
ATI Sapphire 2600pro 512Mb DDR2 Video memory 2x DVI-I, PCI-e
Intel Core2 Duo E6750 @ 2,66 Ghz

And Vista sucks.

Only freakn' reason I installed Vista was for Halo2

Paft 01-02-2008 05:38 PM

: )

Desyphur 01-02-2008 05:45 PM

I prefer XP because of the RAM hogging theat Vista has, (AKA: A game that requires 1 gig in Xp requires 2 in vista)

Everything 01-02-2008 05:46 PM

^ That's the exact same reason why I'm sticking to XP.
I mean, XP is working just fine the way it is, who needs Vista? Not me.

KubeDawg 01-02-2008 05:56 PM

I use WindowsXP because it works. I've had no problems with it, so I don't NEED to upgrade to Vista. I haven't seen any features from Vista that I either don't need or that I can't do with WinXP.....

SizeableSSonic 01-02-2008 06:55 PM

Vista is very nice on here. Yea, it's a resource hog, but SP1 is right around the corner...

uBeR 01-02-2008 06:59 PM

Sticking with XP. Even if I saw any of the supposed benefits Vista has, I'd have to do upgrade my computer.

zSilver_Fox 01-02-2008 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SizeableSSonic
Vista is very nice on here. Yea, it's a resource hog, but SP1 is right around the corner...

Is SP 1 going to get rid of the memory hogging UI?

If I wanted a mac like interface, I'd use a mac or 3rd party shell.

Regarding people choosing Vista: Most of them either have it shoved down their throat with it being pre-installed on computers they buy, or the Best Buy floor salesman convinces them that it's newer and better. Most people who are actually knowledgeable about computers that I know avoid the resource hog like the plague. A lot of small scale business computers aren't made to run Vista, they're simply too slow, or it costs too much to switch. WHY would they move to Vista when it only costs more money and lowers the performance of their computers?

Vicious 01-02-2008 07:59 PM

Just like how microsoft had to take windows 2000 professional off the shelf after they released XP SP1... same with Vista. Then once EVERYONE and their grandmother have Vista, a new windows will come out that is just as bad as everyone was afriad it would be.

zSilver_Fox 01-02-2008 08:56 PM

XP didn't have the resource issues that Vista has. It will only spark piracy.

MegaTurtle 01-02-2008 09:21 PM

I switched to Vista in October when I got a free copy of Ultimate. I installed it just to see what everyone liked about it, and I planned to turn back to XP. However, I never had a single problem with it. All my games get the same FPS, all software/hardware runs fine, I love it. The only thing I don't like about it is that Ctrl-Alt-Delete is now Ctrl-Shift-Escape. :evil:

Desyphur 01-02-2008 10:09 PM

Well there is one good thing. You can shift back to XP if your computer has Vista :P

SoBe Green 01-02-2008 10:17 PM

Hard to use Dell as a source. If I was a Chevy dealership that had nothing but Ford's in my lot aside from a few Chevys in the back I'm sure my numbers would show I was selling more Fords.

-=bingo-bango=- 01-02-2008 10:19 PM

still on XP :lol:

wont be using vista either, il probably just wait til Windows7

Quote:

Originally Posted by פֿяαιп βαмαgεפ
Only freakn' reason I installed Vista was for Halo2

rofl, i have halo2 on XP

Desyphur 01-02-2008 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -=bingo-bango=-
rofl, i have halo2 on XP

Gasp?

KubeDawg 01-02-2008 10:50 PM

I think if I ever switch my OS, I'll be going Linux.