Fortress Forever

Fortress Forever (https://forums.fortress-forever.com/index.php)
-   Fortress Media (https://forums.fortress-forever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=67)
-   -   my 8v8 scouting plays of the week: 13th-17th Oct 2008 (https://forums.fortress-forever.com/showthread.php?t=17930)

caesium 10-23-2008 01:12 AM

my 8v8 scouting plays of the week: 13th-17th Oct 2008

i was worried this might never happen, but i've finally got around to making my first FF avi: the imaginatively titled..

"my 8v8 scouting plays of the week: 13th-17th Oct 2008"

download full quality version (280MB - i figured what the hell why not lol..).
stream shit quality version on youtube (click "watch in high quality" at the bottom right of the video).

a few things:
- sorry the movement in the video is all ghey and stuttery: sadly my FF demo playback is screwed up and very choppy for some reason, and what you see is the best i could get it after doing all the tricks there are to make it smoother.. :(
- all clips are from 8v8 matches against a full 4 player (sometimes 5 player) defence (i.e. no lame 2/3 man defs on maps that desparately need more..).
- i've only used clips vs players i consider to be decent defenders (i could look up specific names if you wanna mock lol).
- this is definitely not an "pmg dats mah best moves eva!!1011skill" avi.. it's just a collection of fairly decent 8v8 scouting plays from last week (that's right, the title is no coincidence lol), all along the lines of what i expect to do every time i play FF. i probably actually spent more time this week getting the demos to avi than i spent playing FF and recording the demos last week :/
- video editing is intentionally very minimal and to the point, so if you don't like it go eat cake.
- my objectives were to: 1) make a basic avi that gets across what it's like to play scout decently in FF, cos we need that kinda thing badly for all classes imo; 2) see if i could sufficiently overcome the screwed up and choppy FF demo playback to make it worthwhile me making another, much better, avi (but this time with some awesome "best of" moves and sweet skills).. tbh i don't think i've managed to get it smooth enough, but i guess feedback from you guys will make that clear soon enough.

anyway, hope ppl enjoy it :D xx

Skanky Butterpuss 10-23-2008 01:20 AM

oh fuck i cant wait to see this.

DLing now (normally i stream, but usually a caes vid is worth the DL ;))

EDIT: well my DL was taking too long, so i ended up watching the stream anyway, and i gotta say that was excellent. i felt bad for that demo on 2mesa :lol:

damn good plays, caes

also, what song was that?

tml 10-23-2008 01:31 AM

nice video I really liked the skimp fake thingy you did there on Siden @ 1:57 and on shutdown2 the 360 move @ 4:00

fataL` 10-23-2008 01:34 AM

i'll watch after the match :-P

big fan of your work caesium.

Lateralols 10-23-2008 02:48 AM

280's a lot but w/e.

squeek. 10-23-2008 02:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lateralols
280's a lot but w/e.

Then stream it. Solutions are all around us!

Skanky Butterpuss 10-23-2008 02:56 AM

also got a nice lol at the filename :lol:

Lateralols 10-23-2008 02:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by squeek.
Then stream it. Solutions are all around us!

But I hate streaming it. So I'll take the dl ;)

fishBurger 10-23-2008 03:34 AM

Nice!

Zuljin 10-23-2008 03:34 AM

Best offense vid so far. I just wish it wasn't so choppy.

squeek. 10-23-2008 04:07 AM

Very impressive. The 2mesa3 clips were nice. :)

KubeDawg 10-23-2008 07:06 PM

oooh siden sneakery. me likey. good video.

zelenjava 10-23-2008 07:07 PM

I've known Caesium since tfc and hes a very clever player. His strategies for stow are most appreciated (lol). Ace guy to clan with and an excellent scout on TFC and FF, the avi was just designed to show some typical runs which it does so very well :) HES A BEAST!!11!!11

mariozilla 10-23-2008 11:40 PM

verrrrrrrry nice :] makes me wish i could play

SmellyCat 10-24-2008 12:16 AM

I love you, my lover.

TheWetMule 10-24-2008 12:44 AM

Was any of those 2mesa clips of me being the poor demo by any chance? It looks like my sub-par work

elwood 10-26-2008 04:59 PM

i approve of the title of this avi.

noeffeks 10-28-2008 04:42 AM

where do i get the glowing pipes skin?

and wtf is up with the green balls floating around randomly?

Credge 10-28-2008 05:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noeffeks
and wtf is up with the green balls floating around randomly?

Paintball nails.

Thumbs up on the vid!

caesium 10-28-2008 11:28 AM

for visibility i have bright pink nails, bright green bullet marks, and flashing bright yellow pipes. everything else is default. if you want them then they're on these forums somewhere i think, but not sure where exactly cos a friend pm'ed me the links.

as for the video, at the weekend i showed it to some friends who used to play TFC but don't play FF, and they basically couldn't tell wtf was going on. they could barely even see let alone recognise almost all of the defenders/classes/pipes/dets/feigns/trimps/grens/sgs/when-concs-fired/etc (probably due to them not knowing what these gameplay-important objects/events and also the maps look like due to not playing FF themselves [i really don't think the issue was the stuttery demo playback, although that doesn't help ofc]), and so they completely didn't understand what it was that made each move good - and hence what makes FF scouting cool and very skillful. when we watched the video at 1/4 speed it was much better as they could now see and understand about half of what was going on and why it was good, but they still didn't get the majority of the more advanced or subtle stuff at all (e.g. things like timing 2 consecutive very height-precise perfect concs out of continuous full speed bhop while passing an undistracted soldier up lift on medieval during the double homerun near the end of the video [the demoman there was glass btw lol]... and it's also pretty boring to watch anything at 1/4 speed).

the reason i'm bringing this issue up is that it's a real problem for FF imo. the best way to get new players interested is simply to show them how cool the gameplay can be if you get good at each class. imo FF is extremely fun and skillful to play now and is improving fast with a load of great stuff on the way, but we need to be able to convey this gameplay to potential players in a very clear and concise manner. imo the key to this is to further improve visibility of all gameplay important objects/events (everything from much more stand-out and distinctive models to very distinct and "readable" animations to a conc effect that doesn't warp the universe, etc). although visibility has improved a huge amount since FF's release (especially grens with their highlighting:D) in general it's still nowhere near clear enough and we need to continue working on it in order to focus and not interfere with the gameplay and enable non-FFers to understand what makes the gameplay great.