Fortress Forever

Fortress Forever (https://forums.fortress-forever.com/index.php)
-   Tips and Tutorials (https://forums.fortress-forever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Flametrimping. (https://forums.fortress-forever.com/showthread.php?t=15271)

Credge 03-26-2008 12:17 PM

Flametrimping.

Also, FTP.

It's something I've kept to myself since the release of 2.0 but felt I should share it anyway since I've shared it with a few people already.

The technique is simple and makes the pyro usable on offense but has absolutely no use on defense. This could also be a skill used on skill maps.

First, you must understand how the trimp works. I can't explain why it works, or how, as it doesn't make sense to me. Just think of it as a jump and a half when you've only done half a jump. Eh. See what I mean? You'll know what I'm talking about if you've ever jump a lot on a ramp. Every now and then you'll go higher than a normal jump. That is a trimp.

And that is what we are taking advantage of with this move.

So, we all know by now that the flamethrower has some push to it. In fact, it can propel you in whatever direction you are facing. If you see where I am going with this then you already understand how to do it so don't bother reading anymore. If you're still lost, continue on.

To start, look straight up with your flamethrower and start firing. Hold down your attack button. Now, jump. You should notice that you quickly return to the ground. Now, while in the air press and hold space. This will make you jump again.

After you land, immediately point your flamethrower directly under you. This will cause you to go incredibly high in the air.

Here is a quick video of me doing this:

http://www.wegame.com/watch/Flametrimp/

Enjoy.

Adamido 03-26-2008 12:39 PM

I was doing that, and also I thought It was normal , well-known technique :P.
I kinda fail at doing it incredibly high, but much higher than normal. Guy named Icculus is awesome in doing this, he can jump from the ramp in the yard to catwalks at shutdown2.

Dr.Satan 03-26-2008 03:52 PM

this is really cool...ty.

SmellyCat 03-26-2008 04:27 PM

Nice! So obvious actually seeing it, but it never really occured that it'd work, and that well too!. :o

caesium 03-26-2008 04:49 PM

what you wanna call shit doesn't rly matter, but just so we all speak the same language: that's a double jump, not a trimp. a trimp is when you're sliding a ramp (or just about to hit a ramp and would slide it if you didn't trimp) and use jump to pop up into the air. some ppl call a "downwards trimp" when you bhop down a ramp to get speed (cos it's the same thing kinda, just the other way round). a double jump is when you jump within a certain amount of time of your previous jump you go higher (mainly useful when going up ramps/ledges/etc, when under low things so that you can hit your head on them and get down again fast, or indeed using the pyro's JETPACKEXTREME, etc) :D

Player 03-26-2008 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Credge
This could also be a skill used on skill maps.

Oh no, you read my mind!

I have already made a skills map utilising this technique :P

I also have sections where they have to get up stairs, but alas, they cannot jump up and their grenades / ammo have been removed! What do they do? What do they do? They use the low-laying ceilings!

Credge 03-26-2008 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by caesium
what you wanna call shit doesn't rly matter, but just so we all speak the same language: that's a double jump, not a trimp. a trimp is when you're sliding a ramp (or just about to hit a ramp and would slide it if you didn't trimp) and use jump to pop up into the air. some ppl call a "downwards trimp" when you bhop down a ramp to get speed (cos it's the same thing kinda, just the other way round). a double jump is when you jump within a certain amount of time of your previous jump you go higher (mainly useful when going up ramps/ledges/etc, when under low things so that you can hit your head on them and get down again fast, or indeed using the pyro's JETPACKEXTREME, etc) :D

Thanks for the wonderful history lesson. Except you forgot that what causes trimping to work is the same thing that causes the 'double jump' to work. They are the same thing. Exactly the same thing.

Mr. Happy 03-26-2008 10:18 PM

I don't think so. As I recall a trimp works because angular momentum is translated into forward momentum in quake based engines (which is why bunnyhopping works), where a double jump is not because of that.

Credge 03-26-2008 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Happy
I don't think so. As I recall a trimp works because angular momentum is translated into forward momentum in quake based engines (which is why bunnyhopping works), where a double jump is not because of that.

You have to jump on the ramp in order to trimp in the quake engine.

GeoKill-----> 03-27-2008 04:18 AM

Double jump and Trimmping is not the same. Here's an example, in openfire. Your in the water and you forward conc to the ramp and you ramp slide then you jump, thats trimping. Jumping the same ramp in openfire the jumping again, but 2nd jump makes you jump higher, thats double jump.

Desyphur 03-27-2008 04:34 AM

Thanks Geo. I actually didn't know that :shock:

Ihmhi 03-27-2008 05:30 AM

This is an exploit and it's going to ruin and unbalance the game.

(I don't really mean it, but no one's said it yet and the thread feels empty without some insane opinion. d: )

squeek. 03-27-2008 05:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrblowtatoes
The FF tutorial videos say otherwise. Let me find them.

Trimping: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zx4Tzin80sU

The concing ontop a ramp is called sliding: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNimPfMMxV8

There is no such thing as double jumping..unless you are refering to a trimp.

Geo has it right. It is termed double jumping unless it involves rampsliding.

Although, I don't personally like the term double jump.

GeoKill-----> 03-27-2008 06:32 AM

I was fucking around with "Double Flame Jump", and its a nice technique to know.

caesium 03-27-2008 09:11 AM

unless FF has changed a load recently (i've been without pc cos of moving house):

Quote:

Originally Posted by Credge
Thanks for the wonderful history lesson. Except you forgot that what causes trimping to work is the same thing that causes the 'double jump' to work. They are the same thing. Exactly the same thing.

no it's not the same, and they are not the same thing.

Quote:

The FF tutorial videos say otherwise. Let me find them.

those video tutorials have the name wrong. i told acid a while back but he obviously doesn't think it's important enough to update them (and it's not important tbh, it's just useful if we can all use the same terms so we can understand each other!). the big problem with naming them both "trimping" is that ppl might not realise all the cool movement "it" (i.e. trimping and double jumping) can let you do because they think it's only one feature.

Quote:

There is no such thing as double jumping..unless you are refering to a trimp.

yes there is.

PS as others have said, simply whether it involves a ramp isn't what determines what it is (e.g. probably the most common way to trigger a double jump is by jumping at a ramp). the best description i can give was in my last post, so read it carefully if you wanna understand.

Jester 03-27-2008 09:26 AM

Dear caesium,

You are wrong.

Love,
Everyone

Player 03-27-2008 10:20 AM

Quake terminology will settle all!

Trimping = ramp jumping = jumping on a ramp; effect most noticeable performed with speed; horizontal speed is converted into vertical speed, so to speak.

Double jumping = jumping in quick succession = find a ledge, jump from the lower surface up to the higher surface with a second jump queued; if done correctly, you should receive a boost to vertical speed, thus gaining more height.

They are two different skills, but the principle behind them is the same.

Double jumping does not work well in Fortress Forever as the player easily clips edges. In pretty much all Q3-based games, the player does not clip edges so easily, double jumping (the space between you and the corner of the ledge is not as strict as Fortress Forever, making double jumping more viable / readily performed) or not (you can hit a corner yet you seem to "bend" around it, not so with Fortress Forever)

caesium 03-27-2008 10:32 AM

both are extremely useful in FF.