Fortress Forever

Fortress Forever (https://forums.fortress-forever.com/index.php)
-   Maps (https://forums.fortress-forever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   (Released) FF_Resolve_B2 (https://forums.fortress-forever.com/showthread.php?t=23393)

Green Mushy 05-30-2012 09:56 PM

FF_Resolve_B2

RELEASED
(Beta 1 Released June 1st 2012)
(Beta 2 Released June 6th 2012)

DOWNLOAD(temporary): http://www.ffpickup.com/files/ff_resolve_b2.zip

PREVIOUS VERSIONS: http://www.ffpickup.com/files/ff_resolve_b1.zip

B2 Notes:
I tried to make changes and fix gameplay and major bugs for b2 as soon as I could. The sentrygun through the glass is a bug in FF code, but I did figure out a solution that should work enough for people not to notice. I did get a chance to spectate one pickup( though it was the first time it got played ), and I felt that I made it a little too offensively friendly. So I made some alterations to help favor the D some more including:
  • Attacker spawn was moved back slightly.
  • Defender spawns moved up slightly.
  • Elevators move a bit faster
  • The yard is now longer
  • The lasers allow for the owning team to pass through them freely, so defenders can stand on the flag and not get stuck when they come back up. (the tradeoff is that they now kill O if they touch them, and can grab the flag and die like in phantom)
  • There are 2 more packs in the flagroom, 1 up top with the same metal and health as a lower pack. There is a 3rd metal only pack across the way up the stairs with 100 metal as well.
  • The main ramp out of the flagroom is now mostly made of stairs. Though you can still rampslide on the sides of it.(This is to help prevent flags getting taken out of the base too easily)
  • A slight extension was made to the button side glass
  • Opposing teams shouldn't be able to get inside the lower spawn anymore(Though I did leave that in intentionally in b1, but you guys thought it was a bug so I removed it)
  • The rampside base opening was reduced in size to require more accuracy in movement

This map has been a bit of an escape for me from the job search and the transition period I've been going through now that I just graduated. I felt that I had not made a map in a long time and I wanted to sortof pay for my absence( due to school ) by making something. I called it "resolve" because I was in turmoil about what to do with my time. With so many options (programming a personal project, using unity, FF code, mapping), all with their own pros and cons, I couldn't decide, and ended up not doing any of them. I observed this inaction, and I decided to resolve the issue by just picking one and sticking to it.

The layout took the longest of all my original maps and I almost can't believe it. It took a solid 7 days to settle on the geometry alone. Aesthetics was another undertaking that was interrupted with my move home and Diablo3, so all together this has taken 2 weeks. I'm anxious to get it played, so I put just the first basic coat of texturing and lighting and I'll continue to fix it up for the next beta. Early in the aesthetic process, I noticed I was going to follow another boring texture palette, so I tried to throw a spanner in the works by deciding to use wood, which is something I never use, and I ended up basically using wood everywhere. I'm starting to notice a lot of mechanical and geometric similarities in the past few maps I've released. Hopefully that is a good thing.

As always, I'm very open to feedback from the players, and will continue to make alterations in a few betas to ensure it is a good pickup map, so don't be afraid to say whats on your mind.

Some Known Bugs:
  1. Theres some places where there are shadows unexpectedly, but I'm too burnt out to worry about fixing them for the first beta.
  2. The lasers have the same bug as in phantom where you can touch the flag sometimes even if security is up. I have a good solution but squeek and I would have to work on it.
  3. The pit area has player clip just guarding people from falling off, just as a temporary solution until I figure out how to manage that area better.
  4. The spawns allow all projectiles and bullets through them EXCEPT for nails. Squeek will have to look into this, but its not major atm.
  5. Jumppads behave strangely sometimes when you set up a chain of 2 of them in the yard. This is not due to the map, but the trajectory and height from their placement in this map leads to that existing (code-based) bug being more prevalent.

Photographs for b1:
http://s18.postimage.org/4mtnp72o9/ff_resolve0002.jpg

http://s18.postimage.org/99zpqyq15/ff_resolve0003.jpg

http://s18.postimage.org/8a9ev9avd/ff_resolve0004.jpg

http://s18.postimage.org/xhkavidzd/ff_resolve0005.jpg

http://s18.postimage.org/5iq54nccp/ff_resolve0006.jpg

http://s18.postimage.org/gjla9o4ll/ff_resolve0007.jpg

FDA_Approved 05-30-2012 11:39 PM

Wow, this looks like all kinds of sexy time. I really couldn't give any kind of criticism without playing it.

But I really like the use of wood. Let me play it soon! :P

CaptainAhab 05-31-2012 04:31 AM

This looks great! I'm really digging the overall shape of the flag room. Looks like fun.

WiFiDi 05-31-2012 04:44 AM

this looks nice. :mrgreen:

KubeDawg 05-31-2012 04:48 AM

awesome!

eomoyaff 05-31-2012 10:00 AM

I'm down for testing!. grats btw on grads.

Green Mushy 06-01-2012 04:43 AM

You guys have said nice things so far. Thanks! I just released the map so I'm bumping the thread. Fingers crossed!

KubeDawg 06-01-2012 06:54 AM

Great! I am hosting this map on my new server:

Moto's Sexytime Funhouse | Denver, CO - 72.5.102.26:27015

Feels like a mix between session and ameliorate.

Scuzzy 06-01-2012 03:11 PM

on [o-t].

WiFiDi 06-01-2012 08:35 PM

played it like 30 minutes ago with like 8 or 9 people. (on mottos server) great map there are some things that need improving but for beta 1 looks real nice.

personally the flow might be a tad fast a few stairs (not alot) in strategic areas might be good idea. thats just me im pretty sure though. :mrgreen:

aleXtric 06-01-2012 09:55 PM

seems cool were trying to get a pickup on it.

oh and the offense can get trapped in the red spawn u can conc into it from the pit.

WiFiDi 06-01-2012 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aleXtric (Post 493829)
seems cool were trying to get a pickup on it.

oh and the offense can get trapped in the red spawn u can conc into it from the pit.

oops forgot about that. :oops:

CaptainAhab 06-01-2012 11:47 PM

Yeah it plays well. Seems like a high cap map.

aleXtric 06-02-2012 03:01 AM

played pretty well in a pickup 10-10 tie

FDA_Approved 06-02-2012 05:04 AM

New favorite hands down. Not only is it incredibly sexy and a great change of pace astheticly, but it just plays so fun. God medic and solly are just so beast on this map.

CaptainAhab 06-02-2012 05:41 AM

I love how all of the ramps seem to mesh together, and you can just see a ton of conc paths ahead of you before you've even hit the ground -- I love the design.

Being an engy, as I have heard over voice comms, can be awkward, but that might just be because the map is really new. :-P Good job all around.

FDA_Approved 06-02-2012 05:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CaptainAhab (Post 493837)
Being an engy, as I have heard over voice comms, can be awkward, but that might just be because the map is really new. :-P Good job all around.

Yeah there really aren't any good gun spots despite a lot of places that LOOK like great gun spots. But hey, not every class can be good on every map. Maybe this can be a fun challenge for any of the career buffs out there.

Looking at squeek and spoon.

moosh 06-02-2012 12:18 PM

I'm pretty skeptical about this map, but that's because I haven't played it yet. From a quick run around it looks like it could be fun. I'd have to disagree with a few peeps in this thread about the aesthetics, in my opinion they are far from "xXxSeXeHXxX420" with the bland lighting and dull textures. OFC it still is b1 :) gl

eomoyaff 06-02-2012 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FDA_Approved (Post 493838)
Yeah there really aren't any good gun spots despite a lot of places that LOOK like great gun spots. But hey, not every class can be good on every map. Maybe this can be a fun challenge for any of the career buffs out there.

Looking at squeek and spoon.

From my perspective, engi being my main d class, unless you have a good front-end defense, keep a gun up can be rather difficult as the time it takes for a medic to get from one end of a base to another is rediculously fast (we're talking close to change of pace speed.) My suggestion is to have the bag in the FR spawn faster, or add an addition bag spot somewhere on the other end of the FR (like in phantom. Even on phantom it can be harder to keep a gun going.)

NeonLight 06-02-2012 04:00 PM

From spectating the first pickup on it last night I can confirm that the sg will go down a lot. But that's the pace for this map and you can compare it directly to COP or phantom, the engineer's main goal on those maps is to distract the offense so the others can kill the offense.

the_cake 06-02-2012 04:49 PM

Did you resolve any issues with the map yet? zlozlzozlzolz

Last nights pickup was a poor playtest tbh.

KubeDawg 06-02-2012 05:44 PM

The bags have 100 cells each. They should have 200 cells. Barely able to keep a gun up.

You are also able to get into the enemy lower spawn and eventually get stuck in top spawn if you take the lift. When walking into the lower spawn, the wall I am looking at, it might be useful to have another way to exit spawn. If this were done, it looks like it'd be the only relatively quick way to get to the front of the base from a spawn.

FDA_Approved 06-02-2012 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the_cake (Post 493843)
Did you resolve any issues with the map yet? zlozlzozlzolz

Last nights pickup was a poor playtest tbh.

We played it again later and it was a little less hectic I think. I think once people get the nuances of it down it will be as fast as COP without being as high caping.

And moosh looses all of my respect.

moosh 06-02-2012 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FDA_Approved (Post 493846)
And moosh looses all of my respect.

http://i49.tinypic.com/2dikpsh.jpg

aleXtric 06-02-2012 07:10 PM

map is too good

eomoyaff 06-03-2012 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NeoNL (Post 493842)
From spectating the first pickup on it last night I can confirm that the sg will go down a lot. But that's the pace for this map and you can compare it directly to COP or phantom, the engineer's main goal on those maps is to distract the offense so the others can kill the offense.

I can disagree a bit. Keeping a gun up in phantom is easier actually then it is on resolve. On COP I feel it's easier as well because of angles of which the offense comes makes it harder for them to destroy. Not to mention theres a chokepoint right beside the respawn. Practically every angle on resolve seems to be an easy kill. I'll need to give it more time and see if there's anything else I can try to increase the duration of my gun.

AtomicSphinCteR 06-05-2012 11:05 PM

This is definitely one of my favorite maps, good job!
I love the class limits, no pyro is soooo nice. Having played it in a pub with 3 engies on D, I would love to see a cap on that class. Not an issue in pickup play.
SGs also seem to lock on through the glass on the button-side route. That can be good and bad depending on the situation.
The multiple route and rampslide choices are awesome!

squeek. 06-06-2012 12:52 AM

SG trying to shoot through the glass is a bug in the code (an annoying one that I haven't been able to track down yet), but Mushy came up with a solution to get around it for now.

Green Mushy 06-06-2012 07:20 AM

Well I'm glad some of you like it. I tried to make improvements and get b2 out. There are some more detailed notes in the OP describing the changes. I put a temporary link for the b2 download.

Be aware I uploaded it before anybody else has seen it, so I may end up having to re-release b2 if something goes wrong. I will switch for the ffpickup link once squeek uploads it and confirms the map is ok.

AtomicSphinCteR 06-06-2012 08:25 PM

After more playtime, the button seems wonky from time to time. While rampsliding, if I hit 'use' when I am right at the button it doesn't kill security, but it seems to work if i am in the air above it or out away from the wall. Could just be me too ;-) Still love the map.

FDA_Approved 06-06-2012 08:33 PM

FDA's list of suggestions:

Return yard to normal.
Move O spawns to the left side of yard rather than the right side.
Leave the old O spawn ramp and that opening next to it.

aleXtric 06-07-2012 03:16 AM

yard ruined
;[

XPelargos 06-07-2012 05:17 AM

You said it was INTENDED to get into enemy spawn in b1?

oooohhhhhh, I see. You could get into upper spawn and throw flag out the window.

PUT IT BACK! PUT IT BACK!

CaptainAhab 06-07-2012 05:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by XPelargos (Post 493905)
You could get into upper spawn and throw flag out the window.

http://www.joeydevilla.com/wordpress...mind-blown.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by XPelargos (Post 493905)
PUT IT BACK! PUT IT BACK!

:thumbsup:

FDA_Approved 06-07-2012 10:56 PM

I get why yard was lengthened. But even though it was a fast map the D could still lock it down to a reasonable amount of caps. Engi is better than I thought at first. I really liked how fast faced it was, and I felt it was justifyed, because as long as the D knew what they were doing it wasn't a cap fest.

Besides that jpad conc at spawn was the funnest conc I've ever seen on a map.

Green Mushy 06-08-2012 12:20 AM

If the engi has an easier time in b2, and the cap rate seems low, I can shorten the yard. I really dont like 10 cap, high relay maps. My ideal target is in the 6 - 8 cap range where the engineer is not frustrated.

FDA_Approved 06-08-2012 12:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Green Mushy (Post 493913)
If the engi has an easier time in b2, and the cap rate seems low, I can shorten the yard. I really dont like 10 cap, high relay maps. My ideal target is in the 6 - 8 cap range where the engineer is not frustrated.

That's why I'm trying to say though. After further play testing of B1 we found the engineer didn't have as hard of a time as we thought. And it was around 7-9ish caps I'd say, if you had your D set up right. There's no reason it couldn't be held to 6.

KubeDawg 06-08-2012 12:45 AM

Heavy: Main Ramp
Soldier/Demo: Security
Engi: Opposite of flag or on top of flag

This setup seems ideal, and if adding a 4th on D, Solly guards button and Demo guards flag.

9u-9u-9u 06-09-2012 04:47 PM

I've enjoyed b1 and b2

some suggestions

mebbe lengthen yard to put a narrow underpass of water beneath the bridge so you can criss-cross the yard when sharking. if both sides of the water are linked I dunno how you'd team color it though. maybe all blue-ish grey

mebbe put steps to get on top of the yard platforms for classes that can't reach it. small ones to the side more out of sight in front of each base

and lastly make the area wider for flag capture on the cap point so you don't have to stand in the center

WiFiDi 06-11-2012 05:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 9u-9u-9u (Post 493935)
I've enjoyed b1 and b2

some suggestions

mebbe lengthen yard to put a narrow underpass of water beneath the bridge so you can criss-cross the yard when sharking. if both sides of the water are linked I dunno how you'd team color it though. maybe all blue-ish grey

what do red and blue make when mixed... the answer is purple. ;)