Fortress Forever

Fortress Forever (https://forums.fortress-forever.com/index.php)
-   Tips and Tutorials (https://forums.fortress-forever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   ff_DropDown conc tricks. (https://forums.fortress-forever.com/showthread.php?t=22803)

FreaK367 07-01-2011 01:59 PM

ff_DropDown conc tricks.

I can imagine most people have seen these being used, but I haven't seen enough people doing them, or succeeding (:, so I have put together a video to show people a first person view of how to do them.

These are good tricks to render defense useless, whether it be the top or the bottom. I hope more attackers can learn these tricks so when DropDown comes on, you can showcase your ability.

I also did some basic editing, woo.

For anyone interested, I record a demo or multiple demos in game, close FF, then open Fraps, open FF, play the demo(s) one by one and record using Fraps at 40 FPS, half the size, (fraps saves the video as quite a large file size), so I then open the video(s) in Windows Live Movie Maker (WLMM), do any editing like combining multiple videos together or adding text/screens. Then I sign into Live (through WLMM), and upload the video directly from WLMM to YouTube at 720p resolution which allows for an HD option on my video for better quality. And WLMM manages to save and upload the finished video at a considerably reduced file size than what Fraps saved it as while keeping all of the quality. (one video went from 500mb Fraps size to 32mb WLMM size) And then without even opening YouTube in my browser, my video is already uploaded with a full description, tags etc... Windows Live Movie Maker saves a lot of time... and really takes care of a huge chunk.

Jay Mofo Mills 07-06-2011 06:22 AM

Nice post but you didnt teach anybody to drop conc. I recommend play a few conc maps and learn how to use your concs properly. That's a sort of specialized conc that not many people are good at. If you're interested in learning, ask around theres more than a few people who'll help you, me included.

Elmo 07-06-2011 10:11 AM

Yeah, perhaps a tut for drop concs would be good but I recommend showing it not on concmaps but used to travel across a map. Perhaps mortality from balcony would be a good one for drop concs. I think it's easiest to see and conceive. Then point out that you can use it to go up n down n refer to the avi above.

I only say that cause I couldn't drop conc in conc maps for years... until last year?! But that's more juggling concs than a single dropconc and I believe is a lot harder.

FreaK367 07-06-2011 12:23 PM

When I went on FF and recorded this, I wasn't thinking about how complex I could make concing, because although I can hit a sweet conc and do things with it, I still don't consider myself good enough with the scout, to do the more advanced stuff and show it to others.

But since I've been learning scout over the past few months, I try to pick up tricks and techniques to use in general, but that are also specific to a single map.

That's why this video was a map specific video, so I could at least show people a first person view of those tricks that the best scouts and medics use on ff_dropdown. And the grenade bar helps.

From that, anyone with basic scouting skill should be able to try out the first example (even if it wasn't as well shot as I would have liked), crouching over the edge then dropping as you throw your conc down, has a higher success rate, and once it's done a few times people can judge it better and go in at more speed.

I only started properly playing the scout this year, and my only way of learning was to watch others, often from the 3rd person perspective or during gameplay. And I took it upon myself to self learn myself some things I've seen others do, and I discovered I could do other things just by chance.

One day I might make a hardcore concing video, but I'm not 100% confident to do it at the moment, and it would probably take me hundreds of takes.

eomoyaff 07-27-2011 04:30 AM

As neat as those are, they aren't that useful in an actual game (unless the defense is A) completely retarded, or B) Not existant.)

eomoyaff 07-27-2011 04:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FreaK367 (Post 487190)
When I went on FF and recorded this, I wasn't thinking about how complex I could make concing, because although I can hit a sweet conc and do things with it, I still don't consider myself good enough with the scout, to do the more advanced stuff and show it to others.

But since I've been learning scout over the past few months, I try to pick up tricks and techniques to use in general, but that are also specific to a single map.

That's why this video was a map specific video, so I could at least show people a first person view of those tricks that the best scouts and medics use on ff_dropdown. And the grenade bar helps.

From that, anyone with basic scouting skill should be able to try out the first example (even if it wasn't as well shot as I would have liked), crouching over the edge then dropping as you throw your conc down, has a higher success rate, and once it's done a few times people can judge it better and go in at more speed.

I only started properly playing the scout this year, and my only way of learning was to watch others, often from the 3rd person perspective or during gameplay. And I took it upon myself to self learn myself some things I've seen others do, and I discovered I could do other things just by chance.

One day I might make a hardcore concing video, but I'm not 100% confident to do it at the moment, and it would probably take me hundreds of takes.

Spectate Pickups TBH. You'd learn a lot quicker. ;)

GeoKill-----> 07-27-2011 06:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eomoyaff (Post 488015)
As neat as those are, they aren't that useful in an actual game (unless the defense is A) completely retarded, or B) Not existant.)

hhmm Not really, it does indeed come in handy when defense goes down for a bit. I seen it happen during matches & pick ups.

Pixel 07-27-2011 09:00 PM

Lot harder to pull off while rockets are flying at your face

Hammock 07-27-2011 09:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eomoyaff (Post 488015)

It's a pub dude, both (A) and (B) are common.

Not to mention the couple league matches I played in for this map, offense still were able to reliabley pull these maneuvers off(On match start scouts could get there fast enough to do the bottom conc before defenders got down there. Infact I swear it was the other team's strat to only go for the flag if it were possible to make that drop conc (that's how they got like every flag out).

They are good moves, and can be used in pubs or competitively (usually rape in pubs though)