Fortress Forever

Fortress Forever (https://forums.fortress-forever.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://forums.fortress-forever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   So what's up with the Prematch? (https://forums.fortress-forever.com/showthread.php?t=5732)

o_thepanther 07-27-2006 04:44 PM

So what's up with the Prematch?

I read an old thread about the Prematch, but nothing seems like it was decided.

I am interested if the Prematch style/commands have been added to the game yet. Seeing how the beta is a couple weeks away, I figured the FF Team may have implemented their Prematch. Hopefully it includes removing the tfc version.

Here's hoping FF goes to LO3 ala CS, or at least RTCW where eveyone readys up and it countdowns from 30 seconds.

o_ghost 07-27-2006 04:53 PM

I'm pretty sure they stated someplace that it would work like CS. I can't find the post now but I remember reading that not all that long ago.

o_ekim 07-27-2006 05:00 PM

http://forums.fortress-forever.com/s...ead.php?t=5474

Mulchman MM 07-27-2006 05:04 PM

Yeah, you can do the normal TFC style prematch where you do like "rcon mp_prematch 2" (2 is minutes) then do "rcon changelevel 2fort" orrrrrrrrrr, just do something like "ff_restartround 15" (15 is seconds) which will throw up the "prematch starts in x seconds" thing and when that time is up all map entities reset and the round begins.

o_thepanther 07-27-2006 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mulchman MM
Yeah, you can do the normal TFC style prematch where you do like "rcon mp_prematch 2" (2 is minutes) then do "rcon changelevel 2fort" orrrrrrrrrr, just do something like "ff_restartround 15" (15 is seconds) which will throw up the "prematch starts in x seconds" thing and when that time is up all map entities reset and the round begins.

Thanks mulchman. Does every player have to indicate they are ready? Then do a ff_restartround XX or is it up to the captain? I am just wondering if there is a way to get the prematch going which isn't going to be the same as TFC. From the way it sounds, we are going to be stuck with the old way :/

Mulchman MM 07-27-2006 05:25 PM

Whoever has admin access just "rcon ff_restartround 15" and you're set. in 15 seconds the round will start.

(?)

o_thepanther 07-27-2006 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mulchman MM
Whoever has admin access just "rcon ff_restartround 15" and you're set. in 15 seconds the round will start.

(?)

I can't see how leagues will impliment that. Too much complaing from the visiting team, we werent ready, we needed a restart, blah blah. My guess is leagues will just adopt the same old prematch countdown :/

Allowing players to ready up then the map countdown begins automatically or a L03 countdown begins would be ideal (at least in my mind).

o_ghost 07-27-2006 05:33 PM

CS leagues use the restart round and they seem to manage. If you can't communicate with the other team there is something seriously wrong. It's not that hard to ask the other team "Are you ready?"

This is something I have been wishing to exist in TFC for a very long time. I very much doubt leagues would use the old way.

Circuitous 07-27-2006 05:33 PM

Seems a bit better than waiting for everyone involved to ready up.

Mulchman MM 07-27-2006 05:35 PM

Plus there's no waiting on a changelevel or anything. If a guy drops or something during the prematch it's no biggie; just wait till he rejoins and then do a ff_restartround. There's no changelevel'ing the map 12 times or anything like with TFC, heh.

o_alligator 07-27-2006 05:37 PM

I'm guessing the timelimit resets back to whatever it was set? Also, wouldn't it be a problem if X team takes too long to get ready?

o_ghost 07-27-2006 05:41 PM

Timelimit should definitely be one of the things reset or else the command would kinda be useless to leagues.

Obviously the resetround command wouldn't be given until all players are in the server. Then when everyone is ready the server admin issues the command and in 15 seconds or whatever you just start playing. Much better system imo than waiting for all to get in the server and then restarting the map and sitting through a 5 minute prematch.

Mulchman MM 07-27-2006 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alligator
I'm guessing the timelimit resets back to whatever it was set? Also, wouldn't it be a problem if X team takes too long to get ready?

yeah, timelimit is based off of when the round actually starts (ie. after prematch ends). And the latter question is a league issue, not a mod issue.

Defrag 07-27-2006 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThePanther
I can't see how leagues will impliment that. Too much complaing from the visiting team, we werent ready, we needed a restart, blah blah. My guess is leagues will just adopt the same old prematch countdown :/

Allowing players to ready up then the map countdown begins automatically or a L03 countdown begins would be ideal (at least in my mind).

Are you kidding me? The CS style prematch is simplicity itself and if there's a problem you can simply restart again until your heart's content. There's no reloading or faffing about, it just resets everything and off you go.

o_thepanther 07-27-2006 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Defrag
Are you kidding me? The CS style prematch is simplicity itself and if there's a problem you can simply restart again until your heart's content. There's no reloading or faffing about, it just resets everything and off you go.

Defrag, what you guys have described sounds good to me. I just don't see leagues implementing it. Hopefully common sense will prevail, but I can see people whining about keeping prematch 3/5 minutes. Hpefully leagues will look to be proactive with the changes.

On a side note, have you guys tested it out in a Friendly match yet?

o_valk 07-27-2006 11:40 PM

dude what the hell......

rahter than the whole map having to be reloaded and going thru 2/3/5 mins of prematch, he rejoins, u type the command, and things reset in 15 seconds just like at the end of prematch

i help run a league and it will be used 100%. would be retarded not to

Lost 07-27-2006 11:45 PM

Umm, you can probably set the reset timer to whatever the hell you want. You want to wait 5 minutes, you're all set for it.

o_valk 07-27-2006 11:55 PM

either way, its better than having to reload the map and sit thru minutes of prematch and hope everyone joins etc etc

Mulchman MM 07-28-2006 01:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lost
Umm, you can probably set the reset timer to whatever the hell you want. You want to wait 5 minutes, you're all set for it.

Yes, it's not hard coded to 15 seconds. It is a time in SECONDS though, whereas mp_prematch is a time ni MINUTES.

o_chipman 07-28-2006 01:57 AM

It'd be good for leagues to use the ff_resetround and just allow team leaders/captains who are in game (or just the teams in general) to agree on how long the countdown should be.
So if they're all ready, just a 15-30 second countdown to make sure everything is working fine, instead of a whole new 3 minutes.