Fortress Forever

Fortress Forever (https://forums.fortress-forever.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://forums.fortress-forever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Why haven't pickups reverted? (https://forums.fortress-forever.com/showthread.php?t=22981)

oaties 08-19-2011 09:58 PM

Why haven't pickups reverted?

Seeing as all the public servers (most) have reverted to 2.41, why haven't pickup servers? It would improve pickups.

NeonLight 08-19-2011 10:02 PM

all does not equal most

oaties 08-19-2011 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NeoNL (Post 488601)
all does not equal most

Its a good 90% of all the active servers.

Drakonal 08-20-2011 12:08 AM

Well as a pickup player i enjoy the new changes to the game as of recently, and i won't play on most of the public servers because they changed the game.

some of those servers didn't just revert back, they changed it to their liking. So i only play pickups now, don't even wanna pub anymore.

KubeDawg 08-20-2011 01:14 AM

My server hasn't reverted.:)

WiFiDi 08-20-2011 03:02 AM

funny thing since the servers reverted weve lost all our players hmm, :rolleyes: makes you think does it not. ;)

eomoyaff 08-20-2011 05:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KubeDawg (Post 488604)
My server hasn't reverted.:)

O-T hasn't reverted, they've just modified the grenades. The machanics of the game is still Stock to the 2.4.3 patch (meaning pressure hit, melee fixes, medic infections, etc etc etc.)

Kubes is completely stock, and is probably the most popular server (with incoming new players).

Talos had their shit wacked out, banned a lot of people on purpose before they made the actual changes just so they'd have a reason to not have those players in their server anymore. I'm ok with that though, I don't want to be anywhere near their con-dev cunt community.

Pickups are fine Oaties :). Play a few with me -- be on my team even. Caution: There may be a lot of laughter and gloating during the matches by me because it's funny when I do so :P!

Agent Buckshot Moose 08-20-2011 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eomoyaff (Post 488606)
O-T hasn't reverted, they've just modified the grenades.

... to what they were before. Hence, reverted. It doesn't need to be a complete reversion in order to be a reversion.

Raynian 08-20-2011 07:28 PM

2.43 is best for pickup balance. I think most pickup players at least begrudgingly accepted the fact that 2.41 and earlier was heavily O oriented on most maps (10 caps on destroy as average, anyone?). There are also a lot of changes which make sense that pub players QQ about - jump pads being destroyed, laser grens not being stupid and luck based like nail grens were, slowfields being neat and reducing the "five fucking mirvs on the fucking flag" issue...

Pub players just like to bitch.

angrypyro 08-21-2011 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raynian (Post 488614)
There are also a lot of changes which make sense that pub players QQ about - jump pads being destroyed

Pickup games are OvD. Pub games have both teams attacking and defending. Jump pads stay up forever in pickups since the other team isn't attacking. In pubs, they don't usually last more than 10 seconds since the other team passes by them on the way to the flag.

reaper18 08-21-2011 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by angrypyro (Post 488615)
Pickup games are OvD. Pub games have both teams attacking and defending. Jump pads stay up forever in pickups since the other team isn't attacking. In pubs, they don't usually last more than 10 seconds since the other team passes by them on the way to the flag.

Itd be better to place them where the enemy cant see or find them, if you can at least. I know some maps thats impossible to ask, but it being destroyed and having to build a new one is the same as 2.41; the only difference being the 2.41 jumppad was timed.
Honestly, the game is the most balanced its been in a long time, and to see these servers revert back only shows that they have no concern for the work the devs do to make this game more fun and more of a challenge.
Thank you kube, for hosting a server that isnt biased or ignorant of that thing we strive for...balance.
I dont like playing on o-t anymore because of their revision. The game feels WAY off, and the same goes for talos. Who wouldve thought, after all the shit o-t and talos gave each other, that they would be doing the same retarded shit?

Raynian 08-21-2011 08:57 PM

In pickups, it means no more shitty jump pads in the FD of destroy or schtop or whatever, and no sneaking them onto the flagspawn.

I don't give a shit about them being destroyable in pubs. Screw jump pads.

moosh 08-22-2011 11:01 AM

Because pubs aren't pickups. Something that works in a pickup doesn't always work in a pub. Having played my first pickup in months yesterday, I can safely say that 2.43 is one badass patch and why people whine and cry is beyond me.

BinaryLife 08-22-2011 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oaties (Post 488600)
Seeing as all the public servers (most) have reverted to 2.41, why haven't pickup servers? It would improve pickups.

I think the real answer is because the dev's of the mod hate you and even though you don't like their changes they are going to force you to play them no matter what to an irrational, unreasonable degree. [/sarcasm]

chilledsanity 08-22-2011 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BinaryLife (Post 488625)
I think the real answer is because the dev's of the mod hate you and even though you don't like their changes they are going to force you to play them no matter what to an irrational, unreasonable degree.

No, that was only for 2.1 - 2.3.

Iggy 08-22-2011 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moosh (Post 488624)
Because pubs aren't pickups. Something that works in a pickup doesn't always work in a pub. Having played my first pickup in months yesterday, I can safely say that 2.43 is one badass patch and why people whine and cry is beyond me.

Given that I'm a pub player, I agree with the above statement; 2.43 IS a badass patch. Is it perfect? Of course not. But it's a hell of an improvement over previous releases.

oaties 08-23-2011 04:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raynian (Post 488621)
In pickups, it means no more shitty jump pads in the FD of destroy or schtop or whatever, and no sneaking them onto the flagspawn.

As a pickup player, this is the one 2.43 change I agree with. Then again, I hate the idea of jump pads in general and want caltrops like in FF 1.11.

aleXtric 08-23-2011 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oaties (Post 488637)
As a pickup player, this is the one 2.43 change I agree with. Then again, I hate the idea of jump pads in general and want caltrops like in FF 1.11.

registered just to agree. caltrops are the best.

eomoyaff 08-24-2011 04:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aleXtric (Post 488638)
registered just to agree. caltrops are the best.

lol, that's awesome.

Gwarsbane 08-24-2011 06:56 PM

I think the real reason why pickups have not reverted is because the patch gave them everything they wanted.

I know many pub players that were looking forward to the laser grenade because they thought it would be as deadly as the nail grenade. But its nowhere near as deadly or as effective (for pub players). So they changed it back.

The slow grenade, while an interesting idea, wasn't really doing much. Sure if people hit it, they would slow down for a second or 2, but then be right back up to full speed. Hitting people with it could be very difficult and even if you did chances of you killing them were still low. It was no where near as effective (for pub players) as a mirv or other grenade could be. (maybe if they didn't go back to normal speed after hitting the bubble)

They did keep in the air blast, why because they found it effective and useful. They kept the SG strength up, why because they found it effective and useful.

They keep putting the spy grenade back in, why because they find it effective and useful.

Pub players keep trying to tell you stuff like this, but people don't seem to listen.