Fortress Forever

Fortress Forever (https://forums.fortress-forever.com/index.php)
-   Other Games (https://forums.fortress-forever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   SC2 BETA OUT THIS MONTH (https://forums.fortress-forever.com/showthread.php?t=21491)

greenday5494 02-11-2010 06:34 PM

SC2 BETA OUT THIS MONTH

FUCK YEA

Bridget 02-11-2010 07:42 PM

Starcraft 2 will be the RTS equivalent of Team Fortress 2.

Hawk Eye 02-11-2010 07:50 PM

^ Shut your mouth.

Everything 02-11-2010 08:09 PM

He is right, y'know.

mervaka 02-11-2010 09:12 PM

no lan play = fail :(

Hawk Eye 02-11-2010 09:32 PM

^ I'm sure someone will find a way to work around it. :(

Credge 02-12-2010 02:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawk Eye (Post 465080)
^ I'm sure someone will find a way to work around it. :(

Probably not without some serious source code changing.

Green Mushy 02-12-2010 03:40 PM

I dont mind either way, but what was their reasoning for the no-lan support?

Hammock 02-12-2010 03:59 PM

They feel the market for lan support is too small and insignificant to bother with.

Bridget 02-12-2010 04:44 PM

Battle.net is going to work like Steam. You have to buy the game via the online store or register your copy to play it online. It's an anti-piracy measure, as pretty much everyone pirates Blizzard games and plays them with friends on 'virtual lan'.

Lost 02-12-2010 07:59 PM

I bet you'll be able to break internet connection once you launch the game, then fire it up on another computer. Theoretically, that's what I would have had to do with Steam before they made it where you could easily go offline.

Credge 02-12-2010 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hammock (Post 465162)
They feel the market for lan support is too small and insignificant to bother with.

This. Well, that's the reason they gave.

The reason is because they think there game won't be bought. In other words, they aren't as smart as they want people to think they are.

Actually, the real reason is probably Activision.

Hammock 02-12-2010 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Credge (Post 465222)
This. Well, that's the reason they gave.

The reason is because they think there game won't be bought. In other words, they aren't as smart as they want people to think they are.

Actually, the real reason is probably Activision.

It's sorta ridiculous to think that nobody would buy their game. This whole piracy and DRM bull shit has scared too many companies, to the point where companies that don't need to be afraid are either truly afraid of loosing out money, or jumping on the bandwagon to pinch every dollar out of everything. Either way it's ridiculous.

Back in the day when pirating was way easier, where all it'd take is to copy a cd/dvd and booyah you have another copy of starcraft or diablo to play over the lan, my friends and I still all had legitimate copies we purchased, and legitimate expansions purchased too.

Yes there will be people who pirate it, but there's no stopping them, but the large majority of people pay for their products.

KubeDawg 02-13-2010 12:06 AM

FUCK YEAH I LOVE SOUL CALIBUR!

YomMamasHouse 02-13-2010 02:14 AM

I wish game producing companies would just admit that their new software and utility modifications are made for the sole purpose of controlling piracy at the expense of user freedom instead of making up bullshit replies that involve them being an improvement on the customer experience. I would actually respect them more if they didn't act like I was a brainless simian.

qwertyuiop 02-13-2010 03:27 AM

I'm looking forward to a merge in the gaming communities of starcraft and warcraft. I'm also quite interested in the pro scene - warcraft players all seem to think that the warcraft pros will be really good at sc2, while the starcraft players think the sc pros will dominate. We'll see.

Etzell 02-13-2010 03:30 AM

Once Korea gets a hold of the game, it's all over anyway. Releasing a new version of a country's national sport pretty much ensures dominance.

qwertyuiop 02-13-2010 03:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Etzell (Post 465257)
Once Korea gets a hold of the game, it's all over anyway. Releasing a new version of a country's national sport pretty much ensures dominance.

Well many korean pros are already testing it for Blizzard.

btw: anyone want to play some sc?

Mooga 02-13-2010 04:43 AM

Wait... the BETA!? Didn't gamestop start selling pre-orders back in 2008? And I sure hope you didn't pre-order from Circuit City.

qwertyuiop 02-17-2010 04:28 AM

Beta invitations are being sent out - Koreans have already gotten theirs. Perhaps in the next few days others will get them. I opted in to the beta, but that's no guarantee that I will get a key.
(if anyone wants a chance at a key, make a bnet acc at battle.net and in your account page you will see a link to your beta profile settings.