Fortress Forever

Fortress Forever (https://forums.fortress-forever.com/index.php)
-   Chat (https://forums.fortress-forever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   The Hunt for Gollum film (https://forums.fortress-forever.com/showthread.php?t=19594)

SomeOldGuy 05-01-2009 12:07 PM

The Hunt for Gollum film

This weekend sees the release of The Hunt for Gollum, a Lord of the Rings fan-film. It'll be available on the web for free on May 3rd. The BBC are running an article about the making of the film, with a budget of £3,000 (spent mostly on costumes and make-up). There were 160 contributors involved, many over the internet.

Web site:

http://www.thehuntforgollum.com/

BBC story:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/8022623.stm

NPR story (U.S. National Public Radio):

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...ryId=103673352

Youtube Trailer #1:

Youtube Trailer #2:

puppychow 05-02-2009 04:53 AM

30% cool

70% retarded

100% certain 60% of those involved in the production are virgins.

admire the level of effort but this is getting geeky on the level of legendary star trek confrences geeky..

i dunno.

Mooga 05-02-2009 05:44 AM

Reminds of the The Fanimatrix.

Etzell 05-02-2009 05:46 AM

Or sucked. Whichever.

FrenchToast 05-02-2009 01:47 PM

I find this to be many degrees of awesome.

Mooga 05-02-2009 01:55 PM

The trailer actually looks decent...

Innoc 05-02-2009 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FrenchToast (Post 437031)
I find this to be many degrees of awesome.

+1

Bloodvayne 05-02-2009 03:10 PM

I will definitely watch this. Low Budget films are normally decent, the crew puts more heart into the film.

BinaryLife 05-02-2009 04:29 PM

Reminds me too much of the fan made star-trek episodes filmed in the basements of rich nerds. The acting looks decent enough, but the writing seems incredibly trite. Sorry I have little interest in this at all.

Mooga 05-02-2009 10:40 PM

The problem with fan stuff, is that you need to be 700% PURE FAN to really enjoy it. They almost always have some major flaws (acting, scripting, CGI) which make many people cringe.

Also, making a good trailer is EASY. Making a good film is not.

Hawk Eye 05-03-2009 02:45 AM

My dad told me about this a couple days ago. Hopefully it's good.

zSilver_Fox 05-04-2009 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mooga (Post 437069)
The problem with fan stuff, is that you need to be 700% PURE FAN to really enjoy it. They almost always have some major flaws (acting, scripting, CGI) which make many people cringe.

Also, making a good trailer is EASY. Making a good film is not.

Or you could just have a bit of interest in Lord of the Rings? And care to prove your point? Or shall we just sit here making useless conjectures?

MightyLotu 05-04-2009 12:47 PM

looks crappy

BinaryLife 05-04-2009 11:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zSilver_Fox (Post 437204)
Or you could just have a bit of interest in Lord of the Rings? And care to prove your point? Or shall we just sit here making useless conjectures?

Well only a pure fan to the n'th degree would find something with poor writing, acting and directing interesting. The reason, is because they can find much more joy out of simpler things like seeing a character they like, or hearing a line that they like. Basically, they will get more value from it than someone who simply likes good movies. The trilogy consists of very good movie if not great movie characteristics, which is why I like it. I could give a shit about the rest, personally. If it's not good, it's ...er... not good.

zSilver_Fox 05-04-2009 11:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BinaryLife (Post 437276)
Well only a pure fan to the n'th degree would find something with poor writing, acting and directing interesting. The reason, is because they can find much more joy out of simpler things like seeing a character they like, or hearing a line that they like. Basically, they will get more value from it than someone who simply likes good movies. The trilogy consists of very good movie if not great movie characteristics, which is why I like it. I could give a shit about the rest, personally. If it's not good, it's ...er... not good.

Perhaps our opinions differ on what constitutes a major fan. Honestly I'm sure a lot of people who LIKED the movie wouldn't mind seeing more stuff with their favorite characters. Yes, it takes a true nerd to make it, but a bunch of geeks with degrees in electrical/computer engineering and other crap are the ones who designed the computer parts you're using. I doubt most people here are that dedicated to understand much more than the difference between OR and XOR. But you still enjoy computers.

MightyLotu 05-05-2009 12:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MightyLotu (Post 437206)
looks crappy

^too early comment, just read that they made it with a 3£ budget

looks decent for an internet film

BinaryLife 05-05-2009 02:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zSilver_Fox (Post 437277)
Perhaps our opinions differ on what constitutes a major fan. Honestly I'm sure a lot of people who LIKED the movie wouldn't mind seeing more stuff with their favorite characters. Yes, it takes a true nerd to make it, but a bunch of geeks with degrees in electrical/computer engineering and other crap are the ones who designed the computer parts you're using. I doubt most people here are that dedicated to understand much more than the difference between OR and XOR. But you still enjoy computers.

You're missing my point. You don't have to know what goes into making a good movie in order to like this. You have to be so invested in the characters that you are essentially blind to everything else.

What I'm saying, is that the writers of these fan made films are not aspiring film makers. If they were, then they would know better than to touch one of these projects as it would basically seal the deal on them never becoming a star. They are little more than fans themselves. Their goal is not to make money, or do this for a career but to have fun spread fun to others. There's nothing wrong with at all. But it's like if you wanted to go to a dentist, would you settle for a fan of a dentist pretending to be one for fun? Or would you rather go to the real thing?

People that are hardcore fans of the franchise will take what they can get. I on the other hand need a movie made by someone who knows how to make movies. Otherwise I will not enjoy it. I also didn't call these people geeks or nerds. Why you assumed I did is perplexing. I have no qualms with the people making the movie. Nor do I have issues with their intelligence or motivation. I simply am exorcising my right to have an opinion that it will suck. I am basing my opinion on experience and knowledge of the movie making industry. I don't expect anyone without my experience to just give in. But then this is a forum. Herein the free exchange of ideas.

puppychow 05-05-2009 04:59 AM

wonder if the actors are LARP'ers :-P

s0undch4s3r 07-03-2009 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by puppychow (Post 437016)
30% cool

70% retarded

100% certain 60% of those involved in the production are virgins.

admire the level of effort but this is getting geeky on the level of legendary star trek confrences geeky..

i dunno.

I couldn't of said it better.

Mooga 07-03-2009 12:01 PM

I'll give it a watch... but I expect to cringe...