Fortress Forever

Fortress Forever (https://forums.fortress-forever.com/index.php)
-   Maps (https://forums.fortress-forever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   (Released) ff_basketball (https://forums.fortress-forever.com/showthread.php?t=19013)

Bridget 02-16-2009 12:26 AM

ff_basketball

Objective:
Grab the ball from it's spot center-court and jump through the enemy hoop to score points for your team.

The brushes for the hoop ignore grenades and projectiles. In order to knock the player away from the hoop, you must actually hit him with a mid-air shot instead of relying on splash damage. This is only for projectiles; players don't go through.

Available Classes:
  1. Soldier (2 Grenades)
  2. Medic (2 Grenades, 3 Concs)

DOWNLOAD

remove 'IncludeScript("base_fortball")' from the top of the lua file. :/

Tell me of any problems you may have. :/

hlstriker 02-16-2009 09:56 PM

This is a really fun map especially with 8+ people.

Nice work Bridget :D

Bridget 02-16-2009 10:07 PM

Too hectic for me with 8+ people. It's perfect with like 4 to 6 people. With a ton of people, it's difficult scoring because either you never make it to the other end of the court or die when you get there from trying to rocket jump up. Luckily, the Medic can bunny hop around mid-court and conc into it, without taking much damage. o_o

OneManArmy 02-19-2009 03:32 PM

Great :D

Caroline 02-20-2009 12:50 PM

Awesome map.

Ihmhi 02-20-2009 06:10 PM

Model Request: Basketball model.

GeoKill-----> 02-20-2009 09:38 PM

No, just reskin the ball and that's it, rename the model if you want

Bridget 02-21-2009 12:42 AM

You have to decompile the ball in order to reassign its skin. It doesn't have a .vmt skin. It's compiled with model. :< .. I don't know how to do that.

Also, when I figure out how to add custom sounds and manipulate them via LUA, I'll replace the fortball sounds with more basketball-related ones. :p

GeoKill-----> 02-21-2009 12:51 AM

vmt here
C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\SourceMods\FortressForever\m aterials\models\items\ball

All you do is copy the model/vmt/vtf and renamed it to bbal or w/e and reskin it. Then use that in the map.

PartialSchism 02-21-2009 01:30 AM

If you just re-skin the ball, only you will be able to see it. The ball has to be decompiled and re-skinned, then recompiled w/ a new name to be used. In other words, you need a whole new model.

Bridget 02-21-2009 02:02 AM

Nevermind didn't work. Lawl

OneManArmy 02-21-2009 08:09 AM

I guess you could try to edit .mdl with hex editor.

onE 02-21-2009 03:34 PM

It would be neat if it was reskinned to look like a basketball....but also if there was a slight glow to it. Like how there is a glow on the conc. The map is a little dark, and with a orange ball...i think it would be hard to keep track of the ball sometimes. I know there is an icon around it, but i have noticed playing it, that some players lose track of it, and if it has a glow to it, it would be much easier to spot and follow. I think it would be neat if the whole ball had a glow to it, not just a ring around it like the conc.

Also, I dont know if this was fixed in the last update of the map, but before the ball could get thrown ontop of the arena and get stuck.

Bridget 02-21-2009 03:47 PM

I'm not sure if the glowing ball is possible. As for a different texture, that requires I decompile the ball model, which is impossible considering the decompilers on the net for Half Life 2 models seem to fail for me. The darkness is obviously due to the sky box. I could make the sky box day-themed, but I chose the night sky box for a reason; I thought it looked good. Also, yeah, with the .rar I uploaded recently, there is a clip on the top of the area for the ball now. So, it stays within the court.

onE 02-21-2009 05:08 PM

Yeah it was just a suggestion, I didnt know if it was possible or not. And i wouldnt change the skybox to day either, I like the night skybox. BTW the map is really fun to play, and cant wait to see what ya come up with next.

squeek. 02-28-2009 10:51 AM

Fun map.

Two suggestions:

- Spawn points need to be on the sidelines, or even in separate rooms. Killing someone with the ball just to have them spawn directly on top of it is no fun.

- Concs need to be given to the medics AFTER the countdown to stop them getting to the ball far before any other class, while medics are pretty imba to start with.

Other than that, it's enjoyable.

Green Mushy 02-28-2009 12:47 PM

I agree with squeek. Its a legitimate strategy to try and throw the ball on to your side and wait for an opporotunity to nade/rocket jump, or just conc it in. Its very broken. You either have to run all the way to the other side of the map to kill somebody, and try to stop them from jumping, or sit on your side and hope that u can kill them after they conc/jump. It suffers from the same problems as waterpolo.

zE 03-12-2009 10:20 PM

cant dl this map, dl link is kinda crazy,it redirects all the time to the main page

Dr.Satan 08-10-2009 05:14 PM

from what I gather reading this thread...this map is pretty broken. Should I even bother hunting down a dl link and including it in the map pack?

Hammock 08-11-2009 07:20 PM

broken? this map works just fine. It's a bit chaotic to play with anything more than 4v4, but it's tons of fun.