Fortress Forever

Fortress Forever (https://forums.fortress-forever.com/index.php)
-   Other Games (https://forums.fortress-forever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   Did you do your part? (https://forums.fortress-forever.com/showthread.php?t=21731)

Lost 04-19-2010 06:01 PM

Did you do your part?

The gurus at Blizzard need another gold plated Ferrari.

http://us.blizzard.com/store/details.xml?id=1100000942

How many of you bought it or are going to buy it?

GenghisTron 04-19-2010 07:09 PM

I feel sorry for blizzard :(

Bridget 04-19-2010 07:51 PM

What has this world come to when developers offer optional downloads to make a little extra money for all the hard work they put into the rest of the game. It's almost like these people are trying to make money like everyone else. That's odd.

GenghisTron 04-19-2010 09:50 PM

woah, hard work and world of warcraft

be careful with that irony, bridget

KubeDawg 04-19-2010 10:22 PM

Buying extra items like that is just as pointless as paying a monthly charge to play a game. But hey who am I to judge.

Lost 04-20-2010 06:47 AM

Apparently Bridget has never played an MMO. These things are not optional because, in fact, you are forced to buy them due to the societal pressure within the gameworld to "fit in." If you don't, then you are exiled and not allowed into the accepted cliques and you end up raiding with the level 60's who can't buy the expansions and thus can't get the new mount. It's a vicious cycle.

stray kitten 04-20-2010 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lost (Post 469159)
Apparently Bridget has never played an MMO. These things are not optional because, in fact, you are forced to buy them due to the societal pressure within the gameworld to "fit in." If you don't, then you are exiled and not allowed into the accepted cliques and you end up raiding with the level 60's who can't buy the expansions and thus can't get the new mount. It's a vicious cycle.

What's the point of escaping to a game world when it mimicks real life? :)

Lost 04-20-2010 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stray kitten (Post 469165)
What's the point of escaping to a game world when it mimicks real life? :)

Because with pixels you can be something! But only if someone else says you are.

Desyphur 04-20-2010 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lost (Post 469159)

Except everyone hates this new mount and you actually become an outcast for buying it. Sure, 2 million people bought it in the first hour, but they're everywhere and therefore not special. :p

Crazycarl 04-20-2010 04:48 PM

Instead of $25 it should cost a week's work--why lower the price?

Lost 04-20-2010 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Desyphur (Post 469170)
Except everyone hates this new mount and you actually become an outcast for buying it. Sure, 2 million people bought it in the first hour, but they're everywhere and therefore not special. :p

Hahaha, I know! Now the only cool peeps are those who didn't buy it, lol.

Those bastards know how to make some bank though. You should have seen the rush to buy the little pets when they first came out. Some people even believed themselves when they said they did it to donate to a good cause.

I'd pay money for the blue protodrake though...

Sh4x 04-20-2010 05:46 PM

Here's a system I'd like to see implemented in the future:

You pay for the time you play. And I don't mean "pay X a month" like the current WoW system".

I think there would be lots of benefits from having to pay for every minute of use of a game. Those who play alot will pay more than those not playing so much. Wouldn't that be more fair in every aspect?

If the cost/minute is well balanced, I think it could work. It wouldn't have to be a fixed ratio anyways, the more you play, the less it costs you per minute, etc...

Is that a stupid idea? If so, why?

Innoc 04-20-2010 07:28 PM

No I did not do my part. I'd far rather invest that time in real life things...like the cruise I'm taking shortly. The gaming I do nowadays happens in one to two minute intervals on my phone...and the occasional fps on a PC...

stray kitten 04-20-2010 07:55 PM

50 million dollars in 2 hours? For a 3d model? Shit I am in the wrong business.

Etzell 04-20-2010 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sh4x (Post 469175)
Here's a system I'd like to see implemented in the future:

You pay for the time you play. And I don't mean "pay X a month" like the current WoW system".

I think there would be lots of benefits from having to pay for every minute of use of a game. Those who play alot will pay more than those not playing so much. Wouldn't that be more fair in every aspect?

If the cost/minute is well balanced, I think it could work. It wouldn't have to be a fixed ratio anyways, the more you play, the less it costs you per minute, etc...

Is that a stupid idea? If so, why?

If it's a flat rate (5 cents a minute), people will bitch that the company is fucking over their most hardcore and beloved of fans. If it's a "play more to play less", you'll get lawsuits from people who claim that Blizzard is incentivizing people playing 30 hours a week.

GenghisTron 04-20-2010 11:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stray kitten (Post 469179)
50 million dollars in 2 hours? For a 3d model? Shit I am in the wrong business.

But then you'd be actively contributing to the degradation of the video game industry.

stray kitten 04-20-2010 11:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GenghisTron (Post 469183)
But then you'd be actively contributing to the degradation of the video game industry.

oh damn.

Sh4x 04-20-2010 11:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Etzell (Post 469181)
If it's a flat rate (5 cents a minute), people will bitch that the company is fucking over their most hardcore and beloved of fans. If it's a "play more to play less", you'll get lawsuits from people who claim that Blizzard is incentivizing people playing 30 hours a week.

Well, you wouldn't pay less if you play more obviously, maybe I didn't make myself clear on that one. I meant that the cost per minute would be a little less if you play like you have no life so in the end you would still pay more than normal but not an insane amount.

It's kinda how cell phones work anyways so... maybe it could be applied to games that require an internet connexion to play, like WoW for instance.

All I know is that it would be great for trying out games for a while without having to pay 60 bucks just to finally play a couple hours.

Crazycarl 04-21-2010 12:17 AM

They don't want you to play a couple hours. Paying by the hour/minute would be a disincentive to play more, and would make it much easier to gradually quit. Whereas once the player agrees to the monthly fee, they feel like they have made an investment, and they should play as much as possible to get their money's worth.

There are some MMOs that are free to play--you just pay piecemeal for the good items and content.

Innoc: Where ya going? On yer cruise?

Mooga 04-21-2010 12:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bridget (Post 469126)
What has this world come to when developers offer optional downloads to make a little extra money for all the hard work they put into the rest of the game. It's almost like these people are trying to make money like everyone else. That's odd.

$25 is a "little extra money?"
That cost them 20 bucks to make and they get $25 every time someone buys it.
Yes, that's VERY fair.

However, it's costs a few hundred thousand dollars to run a single WoW server for a day so...