Fortress Forever

Fortress Forever (https://forums.fortress-forever.com/index.php)
-   Chat (https://forums.fortress-forever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   I hate Macs (https://forums.fortress-forever.com/showthread.php?t=8243)

mervaka 02-07-2007 07:00 PM

I hate Macs

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisf...006031,00.html

Charlie Brooker's style is just hilarious!

<cue mac debate!>

o_bubbles 02-07-2007 07:27 PM

Demon! Deeeemoooon!

o_uber 02-07-2007 07:32 PM

I laughed.

o_streeteh 02-07-2007 07:41 PM

Its pretty true too tbh. Was sorting out a wireless network for our student house over the summer (11 bedroom mega huge houseage so not as easy as usual), everything was going swimmingly until it came to connecting one of my housemates Macs to the network. It didnt have a builtin wireless card like the laptops, no problem i thought and popped off to see one of the other flatmates who happened to be working at PC world at the time (discount++). As i arrived i went searching for a USB network adapter (can't fit pci cards to a mac, its not cool enough) and low and behold only one supported her version of Mac OS. I bought it and trotted home feeling pleased with myself, plugged it in and hey presto... it work with the router (very decent NEtgear rangemax one, so don't blame the router). I returned the usb pile of crap and proceeded to search the net assuming the wider (but lacking a discount) range would accomodate. I was infact wrong, that was the only USB adapter that supported that version of Mac OS, because the majority with that version have built in wireless.

We now have a 30M cable running up 3 flights of stairs to accomodate for her 'far more powerful and versatile Mac' (she still believes its superior)

If you read that, well played, i wouldn't have bothered.

o_loader 02-07-2007 08:27 PM

*WARNING* THE DEATH WALL OF TEXT HAS ARRIVED.

o_soundchaser 02-07-2007 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Streeteh
We now have a 30M cable running up 3 flights of stairs to accomodate for her 'far more powerful and versatile Mac' (she still believes its superior)

If you read that, well played, i wouldn't have bothered.

lol....yes i read it all....I feel your pain.

Some people just luv their Macs to death. .. So be it.

o_stricknine 02-07-2007 10:24 PM

I always hear people say Macs are way better for grapic design. Why? A PC can run AutoCAD, Photoshop, 3DSMAX, use drawing tablets, and plenty more that I left out.

o_soundchaser 02-07-2007 10:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StrickNine
I always hear people say Macs are way better for grapic design. Why? A PC can run AutoCAD, Photoshop, 3DSMAX, use drawing tablets, and plenty more that I left out.

ALLL at the same time too on a PC.

I think it's that artsy fartsy look that some people get all hot and bothered over.

http://www.deskpicture.com/DPs/Techn...e/CubePlus.jpg
If I had this I would probably do the "googy googy" too.

o_ginger lord 02-08-2007 03:44 PM

I have both a decent PC and a 17" Intel iMac and they are both great. The iMac has built in wireless and bluetooth and worked out the box and aside from moving rooms, hasn't been turned off. Its quiter than any PC i've heard, quiter than mine (in a P180 case and low noise fans) and looks better.

It also boots and shuts down insanely fast. However the software is very lacking at the moment with a lack of Universal Binaries for key programs (CS2 suite for example), which when they are released should make the new Intel Macs a force to be reckoned with.

o_farmer 02-08-2007 05:28 PM

hilarious :D

Quote:

I always hear people say Macs are way better for grapic design. Why?
Because Macs where able of color management natively LONG before Windows was. That made them the preferred systems for a bigger part of the graphic industries.
Today Windows can do nearly the same things in terms of CM, the difference here is essentially gone. I'm not really into video stuff, but things like Shake, Final Cut and so on come to mind, that could give Macs some advantage. Coulpe that with XSAN/X-Serve RAID and you get insane performance, for eg. one can edit HD on the fly without messing around much.

Quote:

I think it's that artsy fartsy look that some people get all hot and bothered over.
No Sir, I don't care how it looks. It just has to work.

I bought mine for "work", and it does that perfectly. I don't care about WLAN, bluetooth or games, so I can't comment on that. Only game for me is TFC and that runs on my Windows Laptop.

Quote:

Its quiter than any PC i've heard
And mine can get louder than any PC I've heard :D
It's kinda rare that I get it to 100% load, but when resizing some big 40MP+ images or sharpening them the music of 9 fans and two liquid coolers comes on.
But then, I can't stand silent computers. It's like planes, if it get's really silent, somethin's wrong.

mervaka 02-08-2007 08:01 PM

very true. mine's quiet, but sometimes this dicky fan i have stalls, and i wont notice it until i open the case. not a big deal though, i designed it with lots of large fans set to move really slowly (so slow they stall!)

as for colour management, my pc is fine. the monitor is just as good, although i could do with a DVI connection :/ colour representation is awesome!

o_fail 02-08-2007 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StrickNine

Because people who buy macs are often too inept to build a proper PC. It's kinda like consoles v PC. "I could make a better PC or I could go buy this thing out of the box that magically works. OOOOO AHHHHHHH PRETTY WHITE!"

o_someoldguy 02-08-2007 09:07 PM

Interesting....

Quote:

Promise of Better Gaming on Intel Macs

TransGaming, developers of technology that enables Windows games to run on Intel-based Macs, announces a deal with Nvidia.
http://www.pcworld.com/article/128787-1/article.html