Fortress Forever

Fortress Forever (https://forums.fortress-forever.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://forums.fortress-forever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Monkey Surprise (https://forums.fortress-forever.com/showthread.php?t=9950)

PHISH 07-20-2007 05:26 AM

Monkey Surprise

I'm probably not the only one with an affinity for monkeys, that's why this surprise was so special for me. One of our mappers pulled a fully completed map out of his flea ridden hair. Personally I love it, but I am biased due to said monkey love, so I'll cut to the chase and let you see the goods.

Special thanks to some of hessi's textures and props which he graciously gave us permission to use.

Quick status rundown; what was completed since the last update. There is too much to cover, but some noteables off the top of my head
-6 gigantic bugs were squashed among others, no more game breaking bugs, hugely important
-Lower body animations redone (run/strafe in all directions)
-Hint prioritization, entire hint system is implemented
-cloak effects for dx<9
-On the hud: Fortress points, teamscores, flaginfo without having to goto the scoreboard
-lod for all player models in
-New fully completed map: ff_monkey

Biggest to complete:
-lag optimization, which is where the follow-up news post comes in.
-Upper body animations for all weapons/runs/idles redone, we've already seen some previews of DK's latest work and it looks promising.
-miscellaneous art fixups
-weapon alignment
-training

What does this all mean? Well, we're trying to get all our ducks in a row for release.
  • We are looking for a linux testing server as ours is going by the wayside: we have a windows replacement but that affects our ability to test on both platforms. If you happen to have a linux server you are willing to lend for testing we would greatly appreciate the help.
  • Those that plan to be running FF servers upon release and would like to be notified when the server package becomes available we ask that you provide some information on what server(s) you plan to run and we'll add you to the distribution list.
  • Additionally we are looking to train up a capable programmer on the FF game code to help with post release work. We intend on supporting the mod as best as possible following release.
If you feel you can help with any of the above 3 items contact us at fortressforever@gmail.com

Beetle 07-20-2007 05:29 AM

Woot first post. GREAT UPDATE. I'll post more when ive had some sleep.

A Boojum Snark 07-20-2007 05:32 AM

O_O would accurately describe my reaction upon loading the page. I loved the theme Maya had, and now it's back and better than ever in something I never would've expected.

Nuk3m 07-20-2007 05:35 AM

WOAH THIS IS AWESOME I JUST OPENED MY BROWSER HIT REFRESH AND WOW

Etzell 07-20-2007 05:38 AM

Monkey is SO beautiful... It was really hard not to let that one out of the bag. It's gorgeous.

MadJester 07-20-2007 05:40 AM

Very Sexy.

EiNSTEiN 07-20-2007 05:58 AM

Perfect!

Digital_Ghost 07-20-2007 06:16 AM

Smexy as always! Loved the update, glad to hear the bug squashing is going well along with the progress!!

Nuk3m 07-20-2007 06:20 AM

from the sound of things, FF must be within arms reach of release. or within a few more paces.

mistermojo 07-20-2007 06:54 AM

looks amazing

I'm really glad he's using the engine to make the map the same structure but an interesting and unique theme.

StrickNine 07-20-2007 06:54 AM

Monkey does look quite Exquisite! It's great to hear that the game crashing bugs are out!

Defrag 07-20-2007 07:12 AM

Monkey features a few textures & models made by hessi, btw. I've lost my password or I would've edited the news post to credit him.

I love monkeys.

PHISH 07-20-2007 07:20 AM

added that into the post and i'll edit above. Forgot about that :)

Roady 07-20-2007 07:55 AM

really purdy . . nice work! The outside area looks like a bear to render .. what's the fps on say an average machine like a geforce 7600 with a athlon 64?

rizzo 07-20-2007 08:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roady
really purdy . . nice work! The outside area looks like a bear to render .. what's the fps on say an average machine like a geforce 7600 with a athlon 64?

90-100 on empty map, although i have quite heavy fps config in. Of course it should drop to like 30-40 when theres action but performance optimization havent been tested that much.

Oh and i got amd 64 3400+ & 7600 GT

SkinkHero 07-20-2007 08:39 AM

Looks awesome. :p

Norris 07-20-2007 08:49 AM

map for the green team :):) will it be possible to escape over the water exit or is it still blocked?

Paft 07-20-2007 08:56 AM

Isn't that map just lovely. It's refreshingly different.

Marshmallow Noob 07-20-2007 09:00 AM

FAP FAP FAP!

gizmofo 07-20-2007 09:17 AM

I feel so bad that I applied for beta testing and didn't notice this update. Man, the map looks gorgeous.