Fortress Forever

Fortress Forever (https://forums.fortress-forever.com/index.php)
-   Maps (https://forums.fortress-forever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   (Beta) ff_summit (https://forums.fortress-forever.com/showthread.php?t=15932)

Ihmhi 07-30-2008 09:30 AM

Easiest way to handle this:

We get a .jpg or .png or whatever of the loading screen and pair it up with the text file at the download. That can describe the gameplay better than anything else.

pF 07-30-2008 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nezumi
Yea, it's not like CS where you have 3 basic gametypes (and stuff like surf/awp/dm as wierd other prefixes). The whole beauty of TF is that there's an unlimited ammount of gametypes you can have, so a simple map prefix wouldn't help at all.

There's still rough categories though... CTF, Attack/Defend, Hunted, Skill, Fun, Push.... imo it'd be very helpful to split things up a little. It might also help establish dedicated servers for a specific gametype, something we're lacking currently (maps of all types jumbled up)..

Crazycarl 07-30-2008 06:41 PM

we need the ff_ prefix for consistency, then a gametype prefix, then a version prefix, then a prefix for the author of the map, and then if there's room a few letters indicating what the map is called.

ff_hnt_b05_cc_smt

pF 07-30-2008 06:54 PM

lol.. i see the point you're trying to make..

redux 07-30-2008 07:36 PM

great looking so far!

BoltR 07-30-2008 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redux
great looking so far!

Yeah, see if you can add a few more prefixes to that map name!

reaper18 07-30-2008 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ihmhi
And it's also impossible to categorize some of them.

What if I made a hybrid hunted ctf map?

hntctf_mapname? Or what? Yeah. :|

Is there anyway we can put metadata into the server browser, like when you bring up a server it tells you about the gameplay type?

where only the hunted can carry the flag?

reaper18 07-30-2008 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BoltR
Yeah, see if you can add a few more prefixes to that map name!

social security number / date created / date released / date of birth / credit card no. / random segment of 3 digit numbers / map scale in units / random grouping of 2 letters / Ihmhi's social securtiy / Current balance in checking account / ATM PIN / map author / address / state / city / borough / ZIP / pants color / closest object on immediate left / screen resolution / price of gas at nearest gas station / number of speakers / number of toes / reason for making the map / favorite alcholoic beverage / distance in centimeters to bathroom / reason for typing all of this / reason for questioning life through philosophy / reason for reasoning
there ya go, boredom happens...

[AE] 82694 07-31-2008 02:29 AM

Off topic:

Why didn't anybody mention a suffix? Ex: ff_summit_h/ctf/AvD/P then you still have your your ff prefix and game type suffix.

Back on topic: Nice looking can't wait for the next SS update.

Nezumi 07-31-2008 02:47 AM

If we can't describe the gameplay to people with a loading screen, a mapname.txt, on screen text when you spawn, hud elements and visual indicators, we're not going to be able to do it with 3 letters.

[AE] 82694 07-31-2008 02:58 AM

LMFAO, so true.

shadow 07-31-2008 03:20 AM

Quote:

Yea, it's not like CS where you have 3 basic gametypes (and stuff like surf/awp/dm as wierd other prefixes). The whole beauty of TF is that there's an unlimited ammount of gametypes you can have, so a simple map prefix wouldn't help at all.

yeah, but the thing is that 99% of the maps can fit into several categories.
ctf_... avd_... cp_...

you could also have a blanket "other" category, i think cs using fy_...
but then again i dont play cs enough to really know.

looking at the maps currently in ff, there arent a whole lot of gametypes and certainly not an "unlimited amount".

protesting against prefixes on these grounds is just silly.

BoltR 07-31-2008 09:41 AM

Pretty sure fy is a specific game type.

SmellyCat 08-01-2008 02:33 AM

fy is pretty much team deathmatch. CS has a silly amount of different prefixes, I mean, I can mention:

de, cs, as, es, fy, kz, ka, aim, surf, gg, without having to look 'em up - so you can bet there's even more I don't know or forgot! I guess they are actually pretty useful for me because I know what each one is and helps me select the game type I want to play. But this probably isn't such a big issue for FF as there aren't 100s of servers to choose from.

KubeDawg 08-01-2008 01:36 PM

ff_ctf_summit
ff_avd_summit

etc

Nezumi 08-01-2008 02:03 PM

I think the main thing is there's already precedence. None of the released maps that I know of use prefixes, and none of the official ones either.

No *nyah nyah* :p

squeek. 08-01-2008 09:08 PM

Quote:

I think the main thing is there's already precedence. None of the released maps that I know of use prefixes, and none of the official ones either.

No *nyah nyah* :p

ff_dm_squeek

Ut oh.

Nezumi 08-01-2008 11:34 PM

!

You bastard!

Edit: I guess 'mulch' is like it's own prefix anyway. Or suffix. Whatever.

פֿяαιп βαмαgεפ 08-04-2008 09:07 PM

BACK ON TRACK

Love the map, dude. And it's nice to see more hunted maps pop up!

And I vote for the heli model of hl² ep2 too (too too too???)

pF 08-06-2008 12:32 AM

Quote:

I'm thinking the escape point will be a helicopter, if I can find a decent enough model.

I'll model one to your specifications, if you'd like me to (after the current thing is done) .. always wanted to build one of these, with a little 21st century revamp --> Focke Achgelis Fa 223 .. :)