PDA

View Full Version : Steam to offer new Live-like services for the PC.

Suite307
06-22-2007, 07:29 PM
http://arstechnica.com/journals/thumbs.ars/2007/06/21/steam-offers-new-live-like-services-for-the-pc
http://www.steampowered.com/v/index.php?area=news&id=1093&cc=US
Steam wins.

puppychow
06-22-2007, 07:40 PM
thread police.

already in discussion here:
http://forums.fortress-forever.com/showthread.php?t=9608

Contempt
06-22-2007, 07:41 PM
thread police.

already in discussion here:
http://forums.fortress-forever.com/showthread.php?t=9608
You probably insert things in to your pee-hole.

Circuitous
06-22-2007, 07:41 PM
Carry on, citizens.

there's nothing here
06-23-2007, 12:20 AM
is this like windows live?

because windows live stuff sucks.

Suite307
06-23-2007, 12:21 AM
It's going to have the same features, for free and without suck.
◕ ◡ ◕

there's nothing here
06-23-2007, 12:36 AM
Yay.

Ihmhi
06-23-2007, 02:35 AM
It's going to have the same features, for free and without suck.
◕ ◡ ◕

So does Xfire, and it is "for free and without suck".

( ^ w ^ )

[/thread]

Suite307
06-23-2007, 05:10 PM
But Xfire does suck.

Ihmhi
06-23-2007, 05:55 PM
Yeah, what shitty idea... a chat program that works with a shitload of games, regardless of the developer who made them.

I sure do hate being able to talk to my friends playing WoW while I am playing TFC, which you would more than likely never be able to do with Steam or Live.

Wait, how does it suck again? Is it the supporting hundreds of games? Maybe it is that whole clan system thing they have set up. Or how about that profile system where it tracks the hours you played in your various games? Maybe its the peer-to-peer voice chat that renders shit like Ventrilo and Teamspeak useless on the small scale (8< people).

Yeah, total suck. :rolleyes:

Leandros
06-23-2007, 06:14 PM
Yeah, what shitty idea... a chat program that works with a shitload of games, regardless of the developer who made them.

I sure do hate being able to talk to my friends playing WoW while I am playing TFC, which you would more than likely never be able to do with Steam or Live.

Wait, how does it suck again? Is it the supporting hundreds of games? Maybe it is that whole clan system thing they have set up. Or how about that profile system where it tracks the hours you played in your various games? Maybe its the peer-to-peer voice chat that renders shit like Ventrilo and Teamspeak useless on the small scale (8< people).

Yeah, total suck. :rolleyes:
I've had Xfire make my games exit/minimise/hang up while it loaded its bloated bastard bill IM screen. So that might be it. It also removed every single letter in HL games on my old computer.

Ihmhi
06-23-2007, 06:39 PM
The fuck?

Well obviously a platform that can communicate across as many titles as Xfire does is gonna have problems... the program is constantly patched to address these issues.

Knowing the issues it caused you, I presume that you uninstalled it or no longer use it. However long ago it was that it caused these hangups and stuff, it has probably been long resolved.

And shit, for a few buggy issues on a few games out of hundreds, it is still worth it considering the scope of the project (and the fact that it is free).

Steam has a library of what, a little over a hundred games? And Live will has a grand total of one game announced for the computer so far AFAIK.

Gods, I need sleep. Nights!

Suite307
06-23-2007, 09:37 PM
You're like one of those Mac Fans , except you're talking about X-Fire.

Jiggles
06-23-2007, 11:19 PM
I used Xfire for a bit. It was pretty good. Didn't always work perfectly, but it didn't explode my computer either.

skuLL
06-24-2007, 01:20 AM
I used Xfire for a bit. It was pretty good. Didn't always work perfectly, but it didn't explode my computer either.
Same here...

Mooga
06-24-2007, 01:36 AM
I used it for a bit but at the end never saw much of a point :(
It eats up resources that are better off used for the game :-P

Ihmhi
06-24-2007, 07:33 AM
You're like one of those Mac Fans , except you're talking about X-Fire.

Holy shit, you're right...

But I was just defending an excellent quality product and... and...

Oh God. Oh God no.

*cries*

mervaka
06-24-2007, 11:52 AM
reality distortion field?

Leandros
06-25-2007, 02:41 AM
The fuck?

Well obviously a platform that can communicate across as many titles as Xfire does is gonna have problems... the program is constantly patched to address these issues.

Knowing the issues it caused you, I presume that you uninstalled it or no longer use it. However long ago it was that it caused these hangups and stuff, it has probably been long resolved.

And shit, for a few buggy issues on a few games out of hundreds, it is still worth it considering the scope of the project (and the fact that it is free).

Steam has a library of what, a little over a hundred games? And Live will has a grand total of one game announced for the computer so far AFAIK.

Gods, I need sleep. Nights!
I still have it installed if I want to check if some people are online. But I hardly use it as I'm mostly playing Steam games right now and the people I play non-steam games with are usually on irc.
And no, the issues have not been fixed.

Ihmhi
06-25-2007, 10:43 AM
Aw, well fuck, that sucks.

It has always worked for me, though. No problems with Fortress Forever, World of Warcraft, TFC, HL2 : DM, or Diablo II. The voice chat is really useful for when you are in a party with your friends. \o/

Iunno. I guess Xfire is like the Trillian of game chat programs? It does everything, but it does not do it as well as the internal services like Live and Steam Friends would. /=

mervaka
06-25-2007, 01:37 PM
pretty much. internal services will always have more potential

Serik
06-26-2007, 12:09 AM
Fuck Windows Live. Fuck it up the ass.