PDA

View Full Version : Proof that Gamers aren't as bad as they say we are

o_mooga
10-24-2006, 04:51 AM
As some of you might have noticed I haven't been posting much recently.
This is because a few weeks ago my basement flooded because of a 18 hour power outage and a huge storm. Since I live... or lived in the basement all my stuff was obviusly in my room down there. When the whole basement flooded about 5 or 6 inches I lost pritty much everything I owned. This, ofcorse, included my desktop computer and my stereo. The next day my laptop crash and burned. Insurance would only cover up to so much and it wont even be enough to re-do the whole beasement.

Have lost all my computer equipment in the flood, I posted in a local gaming group's (which I am part of) forums asking if anyone had a computer or stereo lying around which I would be able to have so I could save my money for other things that needed fixing. In only a few hours I was already offered a few-years-old custom rig. The only catch was that it didn't have a HDD and I had to pick it up.

There are very few people out there who would offer up their old (yet still very nice) computer for free and I really apeaseated it. The basic point of this post it to:
a) Point out that gamers aren't mindless killers.
b) Encorage even more friendliness between gamers.

For those of you who have an good, yet old computer lying around (or even an old gaming counsle) and you aren't sure of what to do with it I would HIGHLY recomend donating it to some sort of gaming donation program. Having (brefly) been a gamer in need I fully understand how greatfull those kids feel when they receave such gifts.

o_osiris
10-24-2006, 06:39 AM
Oh shit son! A good story with a happy ending! Maybe Im just stoned, but I thought this was so freakin awesome!

o_mooga
10-24-2006, 12:21 PM
It is awesome, but you probably are just stoned :-P

Lost
10-24-2006, 12:29 PM
That sucks Mooga, glad you're getting at least some of it back.

o_theres *nothing* here
10-24-2006, 12:42 PM
Heartwarming. ;)

Wish you the best, Moog. Some people deserve it.

o_mooga
10-24-2006, 12:44 PM
That sucks Mooga, glad you're getting at least some of it back.

I'm not getting any of my stuff back. Anything I lost I have to buy a replacement. I'm currently living in our Den on my matress. I also have to deside if I should spend some money on a new Mac laptop or just live without a laptop for a Month untill school is over.

o_theres *nothing* here
10-24-2006, 01:55 PM
Live without, it'll be an adventure.

PS: Change your "Location" :P

o_mooga
10-24-2006, 02:11 PM
Thanks *Nothing*.

For a while I actauly considered put up a webiste mycomputerisunderwater.com to try to beg for donations :-P Never did... would have been fun though

o_theres *nothing* here
10-24-2006, 02:39 PM
haha :D

but you have one now, from a friendly friend!

PS: don't hesitate to send it my way if you ever get your own! well, that is if that guy is okay with it.

i'm quite deserving.

o_loader
10-24-2006, 03:02 PM
Unlucky dude. I think I would die if that happened to me - I never back up which means I would loose all my uni work..

However, I live on the 3rd floor.

Anyway, glad you got the stuff back. Some people are very nice and friendly, thank God.

mervaka
10-24-2006, 03:22 PM
sucks dude :/ my odds and ends are probably so far out of date it's never worth its cost in postage.

loader, you in the halls there in pompey? i was on traf 7th floor a couple of years back.

o_paft
10-24-2006, 03:47 PM
I shed invisible tears for you.

o_|404|innoc-tpf-
10-24-2006, 04:09 PM
Sorry to hear about the flood Mooga. I've dealt with floods at work and it's always a drag.

As far as gamers being bad it isn't us who say we're bad is it? AFAIK it's people like Jack Thompson or whatever his name is...

o_loader
10-24-2006, 04:19 PM
sucks dude :/ my odds and ends are probably so far out of date it's never worth its cost in postage.

loader, you in the halls there in pompey? i was on traf 7th floor a couple of years back.

Yeah - James Watson, small world eh? :P

o_lithium
10-24-2006, 05:12 PM
one day , gamers will save the world , and everyone else will bow to our evident awesomeness.

o_frenchtoast
10-24-2006, 07:57 PM
Insurance companies are the suck.

o_puppychow
10-24-2006, 08:01 PM
i have a sweet rig that i'm giving away as i'm joining a commune..

o_frenchtoast
10-24-2006, 08:03 PM
Do they have to guess the number though?

o_puppychow
10-24-2006, 08:07 PM
no this time just get me off. computer is yours.

o_mooga
10-24-2006, 11:08 PM
Unlucky dude. I think I would die if that happened to me - I never back up which means I would loose all my uni work..

While the mobos are fired, I think the HDDs on both computers servived so I can get the data :)

o_frenchtoast
10-24-2006, 11:09 PM
I'm coating my computer in a thin layer of water-proof latex.

o_mooga
10-25-2006, 02:37 AM
What about cooling your computer?
If it's in a latex bag will you be using water cooling?
And wouldn't that destroy the point?

o_backstaber
10-25-2006, 02:40 AM
There is a way to build a computer with certain components, then put in some liquid in the case, filling it up. No fans. But thats as much as I know. :p

o_leandros
10-25-2006, 02:55 AM
There is a way to build a computer with certain components, then put in some liquid in the case, filling it up. No fans. But thats as much as I know. :p
http://www.tomshardware.com/2006/01/09/strip_out_the_fans/index.html
I remember reading a guy baked some fries on it.

o_mooga
10-25-2006, 04:27 AM
lol, I was sent this link (http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1104341) today. But such computers have beena round for years if you ever read hackaday...

o_cruor
10-25-2006, 01:58 PM
That's bound to make one heavy computer moving around for lans etc hehe

o_mooga
11-18-2006, 05:17 PM
Since it was brought up in another thread:

My basement has been re-done. Insurance gave us the max in our policy but it wasn't even enough to repair the whole basement so I'm still missing stuff. I got the computer that was given to me up and running :) However I currently lack a laptop, stereo, and DVD player for my TV (Since I've used my laptop in the past).

I've heard of websites where people post stuff they no longer need and people will come and pick it up, free of charge. Does anyone know of such a website? Because I would be more then willing to drive out to pick up an old stereo :)

o_|404|innoc-tpf-
11-18-2006, 08:03 PM
craigslist.com

It is, however, not in all areas.

o_mooga
11-19-2006, 07:59 AM
People post free stuff on craigslist?
BC I don't want to spend any $$$

o_|404|innoc-tpf-
11-19-2006, 02:49 PM
Yes, at times or very very cheap. I also sold my Mustang through it as well when both the paper and autotrader.com failed. It's a pretty good resource. Have you checked to see if there's a craigslist covered area near you?