PDA

View Full Version : New LCD

o_vampiricus
09-08-2005, 01:28 AM
I should have bought a diaper before trying this i hooked this thing up. THis is my first LCD, its response time is 8ms with a Contrast of 700:1

Im running 1280X1024 @ 75 MHZ and im amazed how bad I had it with my old 21 inch viewsonic CRT. Its a little bright but Ill make the adjustments as they are needed. Just thought I would share. THis is xmas in september for me, a gift from my woman because she felt bad that my old monitor was so blurry she felt I was loosing my vision :P.

Well thank you my China Girl, thank You :)

Here is a link to the monitor
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-Details.asp?EdpNo=1337730&sku=H54-1706

I didnt hook up the speakers, blaa. no need :). Oh yea, and I have a desk now too since that huge thing is gone.

yippeee!

http://images.tigerdirect.com/SKUimages/medium/H54-1706main.jpg

o_jinx
09-08-2005, 01:55 AM
very very nice!

o_vampiricus
09-08-2005, 02:12 AM
Oh yea, here is my Leadtek 6800GT. The LCD has vga port but I used a converter for the DVI port on the card. Made it really sharp :)

http://ephemeron.org/~felixx/mycard.jpg

o_frenchtoast
09-08-2005, 02:17 AM
Do'nt clean your monitor with Windex.

'Tis my advice.

o_binarylife
09-08-2005, 02:34 AM
Go the path of x-bright my friend.

The responce time for x-bright ain't that great though. it's 12ms compared to your 8. Also, there's a samsung monitor 350 for a 19" with 8ms and perfect color. I want it... but I already bought my xbright.

o_broodingdude
09-08-2005, 05:41 PM
I am havin trouble finding any x-bright LCD's anywhere. Can you post a link?

o_salty milkshake
09-08-2005, 07:40 PM
pretty sure he means Sony X-black type ones like so:
http://images-eu.amazon.com/images/P/B0007XZ9LU.03.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

they're very nice but I think you can do better for the money, especially in terms of responce time

o_binarylife
09-08-2005, 09:50 PM
19" Sony XBright, new version, is 599. THe picture is perfect. But as I said, the responce time is 12ms and 8 is signifigantly better.

You can't really see a photograph of the picture quality that does it justice. Everything looks 3d, and crisp.

o_broodingdude
09-08-2005, 10:41 PM
here I am still in the old school analogue monitor days... :cry:

I have a... well... it's an "embarassing" monitor. Not even a CRT.

Defrag
09-08-2005, 10:43 PM
Specs are misleading for TFTs, so I wouldn't really pay attention to a lot of what manufacturers claim :) I've got a 21" Trinitron, but it's getting a bit long in the tooth these days. I fancy a cheap 19" TFT to run as a second monitor to make editing / coding easier, but I've yet to take the plunge.

o_salty milkshake
09-08-2005, 10:48 PM

Well you don't know what CRT means anyway...:P

Circuitous
09-08-2005, 10:49 PM
I fancy a cheap 19" TFT to run as a second monitor to make editing / coding easier, but I've yet to take the plunge.

Why not?

o_|404|innoc-tpf-
09-08-2005, 11:27 PM
Specs are misleading for TFTs, so I wouldn't really pay attention to a lot of what manufacturers claim :) I've got a 21" Trinitron, but it's getting a bit long in the tooth these days. I fancy a cheap 19" TFT to run as a second monitor to make editing / coding easier, but I've yet to take the plunge.

19" Princeton here that I bought in 1996. I'm waiting for it to die and hopefully LCD's will be tolerable for me by then and those that are will be reasonably priced.

mervaka
09-09-2005, 12:13 AM
the only thing that really bothers me these days with TFTs is the horrible way they produce colours, especially dark ones. try playing doom3 in a lit room with a TFT, it just doesnt happen. CRTs at the moment are far better for image editing.

o_cruor
09-09-2005, 12:18 AM
A bit off topic but the future is here

http://www.plasticlogic.com/flexible_displays.php

*droools*

Jiggles
09-09-2005, 02:20 AM
I suggest this (http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16824179014).

The HYUNDAI L90D+ is a 19" LCD with an 8ms (in real performance more like 10 ms) response time.

It has color fidelity as good or better than many CRTs. Newegg sells it for around $336, though you could probably get it for cheaper elsewhere. I'd say it's worth the extra price for a 19 inch vs a 17 inch.

o_fresh
09-09-2005, 10:07 AM
Jiggles £183.03 aint bad for that, do they deliver to England?

o_ginger lord
09-09-2005, 10:10 AM
This is what I got with my new PC:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0009AM270/qid=1126260289/sr=8-4/ref=pd_bbs_4/202-6890527-0592643

Its 8ms and the only thing Ive noticed about it is when I scroll down in Visual Studio *really* fast it can't quite catch up in time but the instant you stop its fine. Its bright enough although when in really really dark areas it does start to struggle, but thats LCD's in general. Its hardly a problem.

Edit: Amazon's price Is quite high looking at it, I got mine through the company that built my PC for about £130-150

o_vampiricus
09-09-2005, 11:04 AM
I suggest this (http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16824179014).

The HYUNDAI L90D+ is a 19" LCD with an 8ms (in real performance more like 10 ms) response time.

It has color fidelity as good or better than many CRTs. Newegg sells it for around $336, though you could probably get it for cheaper elsewhere. I'd say it's worth the extra price for a 19 inch vs a 17 inch.

I have noticed that anything with a DVI port has a signifigant price hike. But for the money its not bad. As far as that response time, I dont think the human eye could catch 2 ms, but i could be wrong :P

o_fisheye
09-09-2005, 01:04 PM
i've got plenty of room for it, so i'm happy to stick with my CRT. i've got a 15' LCD that sometimes gets used too, but that's mostly for following tuts on, so i don't care about refresh rates or colour reproduction on it. if i did, i'd probably bin it in favour of a CRT.

o_mooga
09-09-2005, 01:16 PM
Old school CRT for life!
I got a misubeshe (Car company) CRT at home... I love that damn thing!

o_zippy
09-09-2005, 02:31 PM
i thought the topic said "new lsd" :shock:

o_salty milkshake
09-09-2005, 02:35 PM
Yeah you get a flashback every 8ms! :(

o_|404|innoc-tpf-
09-09-2005, 03:12 PM
As far as that response time, I dont think the human eye could catch 2 ms, but i could be wrong :P

Some people are sensitive to it and some are not. I happen to be one of those people who cannot use the LCD for anything that involves rapid change to what's being displayed as it makes me physically ill.

o_salty milkshake
09-09-2005, 03:44 PM
Surely you'd be better off with an LCD than a CRT then? As it's a solid pixel, rather than a scanning electron beam?

o_|404|innoc-tpf-
09-09-2005, 04:15 PM
Surely you'd be better off with an LCD than a CRT then? As it's a solid pixel, rather than a scanning electron beam?

No, LCD update rate is far lower than what a CRT can reproduce. And motion on a CRT doesn't have the problems that all LCD's have for me. Static text is one thing...but gaming is really bad for me on an LCD.

o_salty milkshake
09-09-2005, 04:24 PM
you'd probably be ok with these viewsonic ones, they're the badgers tadger!
http://www.viewsonic.com/FastandFirst/family.html

o_|404|innoc-tpf-
09-09-2005, 04:30 PM
Perhaps. I have not tried them yet. Most of my Public Safety customers are using the 19" Samsungs....except for one that picked the crappy Acers...

In the meantime I am still going to wait for the Princeton to die on me. 9 years and still going strong...now that's a damned good monitor!

Jiggles
09-09-2005, 04:40 PM
I'm pretty sensitive to stuff like that (though probably not to that extent), and these good quality 8ms response time LCDs look fine to me. A good monitor is an investment, and certainly if what you've got works, no need to replace it. These days, though, even for games, LCDs are increasingly the way to go.

o_broodingdude
09-09-2005, 06:44 PM

You're right... so what does it mean?

o_someoldguy
09-09-2005, 07:07 PM

CRT = Cathode Ray Tube, which has been the "standard" type monitor for a bazillion years. It's pretty much equivalent to a TV in how it operates.

o_broodingdude
09-09-2005, 07:14 PM

CRT = Cathode Ray Tube, which has been the "standard" type monitor for a bazillion years. It's pretty much equivalent to a TV in how it operates.

So in a side by side comparison, which is better for Gaming? A CRT or an LCD?

o_mooga
09-09-2005, 07:26 PM

So in a side by side comparison, which is better for Gaming? A CRT or an LCD?

Everyone will say that almost any CRT is best for gaming. While some LCDs can game well, many have ghosting problems. I've seen this even when people watch TV threw their computer on an LCD.

Personaly I'm still a huge CRT fan. I have an old school CRT by misubeshe (the car company) and the thing is awesome. I would leave it on for days and day and I have never had a problem with it.

But now I'm off at school with a very tiny laptop and no HUGE CRT... :(

o_tennovan
09-09-2005, 07:26 PM
I'll never get rid of my CRT. Even when it dies, I'm gonna find some use for it. 5 years and going strong.

o_mooga
09-09-2005, 07:28 PM
A CRT isn't dead untill it's smoking, on fire, and the screen is shatered.

Mulchman MM
09-09-2005, 07:28 PM
My LCD response time is 12ms and at first when running around FF maps I noticed some ghosting (crossover is burned in my mind for some reason) but now it's smooth butter. I've just gotten used to it and BF2 plays really sweet so I don't care.

o_vampiricus
09-09-2005, 11:12 PM
A CRT isn't dead untill it's smoking, on fire, and the screen is shatered.

I dont agree with this. My 21 inch viewsonic was giving me blurred text and becoming darker and darker as time went on. CRT's always have this issue when it comes to life and upping the contrast/brightness over time. After this purchase, I feel I can see again. I also dont experience "ghosting" or anything else on any game.

Jiggles
09-09-2005, 11:39 PM
With a quality LCD monitor around 8ms response time, ghosting is no longer an issue (for most people). Additionally, good LCDs are actually quite affordable, especially when compared to a good CRT.

The biggest issue with LCDs, now, is that each one has a native resolution. Running the monitor outside of the suggested resolution will usually result in blurry text, and generally a less sharp picture. This can be a problem in new games, since the native resolution can be beyond what your computer can confortably run. It's not that big of a deal, but there's something annoying about spending money for a good monitor, and having to settle for less quality, because your computer can't handle it :)

Now, the opposite is often true for CRTs: your computer can run the game at a higher resolution than your monitor can run (at a high refresh rate). It seems that most people don't mind running it at 60Hz, but it makes my eyeballs bleed :P

Dospac
09-10-2005, 09:55 PM
Noc, that 19in Samsung model uses a panel much slower than the 2nd generation of 12ms and newer 8ms panels. Once that CRT dies I'd definitely look into the latest model LCDs.

Regarding the dark color/contrast issues, normally any problems noticed here result from improperly adjusted gamma and brightness/contrast settings. Some panels are notoriously poor, however. Toms Hardware and Anandtech do VERY good LCD roundups, their testing methodology is top notch.

http://graphics.tomshardware.com/index.html

Pretty much any of their LCD articles are very useful for learning more about how manufacturers cheat on the specs, and which panels are worth the $, etc.

o_ginger lord
09-10-2005, 09:58 PM
My Acer 17" LCD with 8ms has no noticable ghosting in any games.

o_vampiricus
09-15-2005, 04:05 AM
Hey I have been doing a bit of research on how I have my LCD hooked up. The LCD doesnt have a DVI port , only a vga (db-15) . But I went ahead and hooked up the converter to utilize the DVI port on my video card and goes into the vga (db-15) on my LCD.

You think im getting any benifits from this compared to just using the vga ports on the vid card and lcd?

confused?
hehe

Jiggles
09-15-2005, 05:00 AM
Doubt it.

Well, other than the advantage of having a 2nd free VGA port that you don't have to use a converter on when you want to plug a monitor in :wink:

o_robg
09-15-2005, 08:16 AM

No, LCD update rate is far lower than what a CRT can reproduce. And motion on a CRT doesn't have the problems that all LCD's have for me. Static text is one thing...but gaming is really bad for me on an LCD.
You can't compare these exactly. An LCD screen often doesn't need to update the screen as much as a CRT, as each pixel "holds" its value until it needs to be changed, whereas a CRT has to keep firing electrons to keep the image going.

A couple of years ago anything sub-16ms was considered excellent for gaming, but yeah there are a few blurring issues when you've got things on the screen changing rapidly, and the fixed native resolution jobby that someone mentioned. I'd go for a low-response-time LCD next monitor I get.