PDA

View Full Version : Team Fortress Story

o_]l[-rare
01-24-2005, 04:39 PM
Hey is there a story behind team fortress team's? (no not the history of team fortress)

I'm just wondering, i remembered i read somewhere that according to some plot, the blue and red teams are mortal enemies rite? the blue team are like the established good government that takes care of their people, while the red are the rebels who want anarchy.

Well, something like that. Anyways, i makes sense when u look at the team's logos.. Blue = fort, Red = skull... Yellow = Triangle with a sword (mercenaries?) and green = i dont know.. i forgot :X

Anyone know if there's a story why the teams (red/blue/yellow/green) are fighting one another?

:? im quite sure there's some kind of narrative in the tf world.

o_storm
01-24-2005, 04:44 PM
I heard red = George W, Blue = world peace and yellow = oil companies?

other than that I have never read anything :)

o_silver
01-24-2005, 04:46 PM
prolly some fan literature on it but i've never heard anything official. prolly just made it up on the fly

o_]l[-rare
01-24-2005, 04:50 PM
cmon.. we need to dig up everything we can about tf now.. we need a strong charge to rekindle the tf spirit in all the hearts of our young boys and girls...

or i can just shut up nows :P

o_bobserversupport
01-24-2005, 05:14 PM
TF>cs

:mrgreen:

o_gritty
01-24-2005, 05:20 PM
To the original post, thats fan literature im pretteh sure.

Couldnt hurt someone coming up with a basic premise or story for the MOD to draw in real newbies; im guessing thats what you were getting at?

o_ghroth
01-24-2005, 05:38 PM
lol no there isnt a story overall
some maps might have a plot
but mainly its cap the flag, kill hunted, cap the command points, push the ball, ect
thats whats nice abotu tfc, is its simplicity and lack of complex story and plot

o_]l[-rare
01-24-2005, 05:53 PM
The year is somewhere around 4000. After the great nuclear holocaust of 2747, resources started to diminish rapidly. People broke into riots trying to get supplies in order to live. It was no longer safe to live alone.

The more "civilized" people lived with a community that believed in keeping the peace and "starting over again". This community honored a blue flag which stood for "environmental management". They lived within the walls of fortresses made of concrete and steel. And all seems pretty well. But the past of this community wasn't so well since scientists created the nuclear holocaust that left a mark on the earth. The sun is rarely ever seen these days and when it does rain, it's basicly acid.

For those who were affected by the holocaust, they are considered "outcasts" and live in the wastelands of the planet. They honored a red flag which stood for "overpowering". They lived in fortresses made of what ever they could find. Their main objective is to take over the world and live where ever they please.

When in battle, the two communities send an elite team for special missions. These misson sometimes include stealing resources, capturing fortress flags, and getting valuable keycards to riches that were thought to have no longer existed.

- http://battlefieldfortress.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7
- theunknownsith

Ha! I found it! :P

okay, so this IS a fan fict story line for a battlefield-team fortress mod.. :o

haha.. i must have read this years ago, that i kinda got blurred if this is fanfict or part of tf concept :P

my bad

o_returner
01-25-2005, 09:52 AM
TF never had a story of any kind, neither did TFC (and neither does CS, CSS or HL2DM).

o_rebo
01-25-2005, 01:41 PM
When we started the intial design phases of the mod over a year ago we thought about a back story and had some interesting ideas we never really took this futher . When it comes down to it tho, it really is as simple as red vs blue =]

o_ghost
01-25-2005, 01:55 PM
The closest thing to a story the original TF for quake had was a cool little demo movie showing the red storming the blue base with gibs everywhere set to cool music.

o_sobe green
01-25-2005, 02:13 PM
Red vs Blue...a classic struggle between Indians and Smurfs. huzzah!

o_]l[-rare
01-25-2005, 02:38 PM
ow... dont forget about the green and yellow team 8)

----------------------------------------------------------------

won't it'd be cool to have a tf world (mmorpg kind of world) u could see Fatty's Academy.. or Medical academy in a city where the 4 team live peacefully. then they have their job which is to fight in arena type of maps and compete for the team's glory and thus getting paid :roll:

o_silver
01-25-2005, 05:25 PM
the evil trolls and smilies?

o_binarylife
01-25-2005, 05:45 PM
HL2DM has more of a story than the other games. Rebels verses the Combine

That's all the plot development I need for DM game.

o_sobe green
01-25-2005, 05:55 PM
So your saying....? If you want to get technical CS has a storyline too. But honestly when you play these games are you thinking that your contributing to the story or that your trying to get that bastard that has the most powerful gun?

o_maxtr0n.
01-26-2005, 01:45 AM
i always imagined tfc as some sort of future sport, and thats all the story i need.

o_binarylife
01-26-2005, 01:47 AM
Actually sobe it was a joke.
The point being that you can tell from just the names of each team, that there is a history. But that it was not intended and no story line is required. It wasn't funny but geez you take things seriously.

o_cruor
01-26-2005, 01:57 PM
i always imagined tfc as some sort of future sport, and thats all the story i need.

These were allways my thoughts to, sort of like unreal tournament where in the future bloody games are created to satisfy the publics new demands for new kinds of entertainment.

And honestly with the rate that all kinds of new, stupid, crazy entertainment shows pop up on TV I wonder how long it will be until we are there. DM on TV, thunderdome from MadMax, etc.

It would not surprise me the least if this was in circulation in the next decennia or even before that. I mean I know people would do this for money, and I know TV producers would make these programs for ratings, and I know many people would watch it to.

o_photeknix
01-26-2005, 04:21 PM
The first version of Team Fortress, an add-on for Quake, was released on August 24, 1996. It was originally written because the authors wanted a first-person perspective, team strategy game for LAN competitions. Version 1 .0 only included the Scout, Sniper, Soldier, Demolitions Man and Medic classes and did not support any map entities.

Shortly thereafter version 1.1 of Team Fortress was released, which incorporated the beginnings of TF map support, some playability improvements and the Heavy Weapons Guy. These features were followed by the incorporation of team objectives into the game design and the 2Fort map, perhaps the most copied map design on the Internet..

On the 22nd of December 1996 Version 2.0 was released for Quake World. It was the first released Quake World add-on. At this point, interest in Team Fortress exploded, with over 40% of the Quake community running servers dedicated to Team Fortress within several months.

TF Software incorporated on April 4, 1997 to commercially develop updates and future releases of Team Fortress. TF Software combines the efforts of approximately 20 developers, artists, musicians, modelers, and map makers in Australia, Canada, the US, Germany, and Japan.

Shortly after, TFS was bought by Valve Software, merging thier talent together to create the series everyone knows as Half-Life. Since then, TF seems to have taken a back burner role for the guys at Valve, only releasing TFC for HL1, and seldom updates. We all keep hearing little bits and pieces of TF2, but we will never know what is to come of it until its release. If its ever released.

And there you all have it, a little history lesson on how TF came about and why. Hope this helps you all understand a little bit more about TF, and how you can come to appreciate the game and its origins.

o_d3pth charge
01-26-2005, 04:56 PM
L[-RaRe]Hey is there a story behind team fortress team's? (no not the history of team fortress)

good post tho.

o_photeknix
01-26-2005, 05:05 PM
eh, thx... but my main reason to posting it was to point out that officially it was created for competative teamplay over LAN, and there was no story or background in mind and was simply created piece by piece by Robin and John... which ultimately became the finely sculptured game that everyone loves today. I kept the rest in to help people understand a little more about it.

o_d3pth charge
01-26-2005, 07:16 PM
oh, good call then.

o_binarylife
01-26-2005, 10:28 PM
Hey I learned a few things. :wink:

o_anshinritsumai
01-27-2005, 03:19 AM

These were allways my thoughts to, sort of like unreal tournament where in the future bloody games are created to satisfy the publics new demands for new kinds of entertainment.

And honestly with the rate that all kinds of new, stupid, crazy entertainment shows pop up on TV I wonder how long it will be until we are there. DM on TV, thunderdome from MadMax, etc.

It would not surprise me the least if this was in circulation in the next decennia or even before that. I mean I know people would do this for money, and I know TV producers would make these programs for ratings, and I know many people would watch it to.

Indeed I must concur with you two.

o_]l[-rare
01-27-2005, 09:43 AM
well.. if ur not at all bored.. try this fan fict. it's pretty entertaining

http://www.bs-linux.com/teamfortress/newblood/

o_jerm
01-31-2005, 09:50 AM
I always imagined TFC as a futuristic game, but before steam came along it wasnt. Every Weapon (apart from the conc, and maybe the rail gun) is a real weapon, Though modified a bit in both physics and looks. So when it comes down to it, it isnt really a futuristic game

o_anigamor
02-01-2005, 04:08 PM
Actually, TFC is unique in that every map can have it's own story. Many custom maps include a story of some sort in their readme/map instructions. Part of the magic of tfc is that the game can be altered into any game type to tell the story a mapper creates.

o_|404|innoc-tpf-
02-01-2005, 06:44 PM
If you want Deathplay that is themed for the entertainment of a futuristic society look at UT and all the iterations of that....That was the central theme of it. I see what you're saying but I think you're reaching for something that does not exist outside of fan fiction.

o_[p]asphyxia
02-08-2005, 04:34 AM
well.. if ur not at all bored.. try this fan fict. it's pretty entertaining

http://www.bs-linux.com/teamfortress/newblood/

Ugh! What a tough site that is.... Dark red on a darker red. The printable versions are much better.

That looks like a good read. I've dabbled in the fan fic myself and wrote one loosely based on the original CanalZone map from QWTF. Got some good reviews and comments on it and I even got it posted on PlanetFortress (which has been archived FYI) some time ago. Hopefully I can find a place to put it up again. And maybe I'll get around to finishing the second episode.

I personally haven't cared for a story behind the game in this case. For me, the premise of working with a bunch of people that have a desire to work as a team was enough for me. Although that was extremely rare outside of clan matches.

o_thedarkone
02-08-2005, 05:13 AM
You need to adjust your monitor if black looks like dark red to you. :wink:

o_lithium
02-08-2005, 05:28 AM
hmm , If there should be a story it should originate in QuakeTF , look there , young grasshopper

o_[p]jaygr the monkey
02-08-2005, 04:31 PM
You need to adjust your monitor if black looks like dark red to you. :wink:

Sadly dark red on black is not much different :?

o_spud
04-26-2005, 06:26 PM
Ooh, missed this thread..

Anyone remember that animated claymation tfc movie? "The Red Flag". Was really funny I remember, also the flag was pink for some reason and not red lol..

Heres the site:

http://www.planetfortress.com/tigerbean/redflag/

o_soulcutter
04-26-2005, 06:48 PM
A long time ago, read - REALLY long time ago a TFC player by the name of Xarnon made some TFC stories. It included real players who were influential in the community at the the time. Really quite good stories actually.

It included clans like KiN and SiGiL and lots of names the truely old school people would probably recognize. Don't know what ever happened to those, but they were well worth the time it took to read em.

o_spud
04-26-2005, 06:50 PM
American tfc clans I take it?

o_soulcutter
04-26-2005, 07:56 PM
Indeed. KiN was like legendary in the early days of TFC in America.

o_racer
04-28-2005, 03:47 AM
Hey Photeknix, thanks for posting that info , I found it very intersting.
Wonder if Valve or the guys from the old TFS will write a book about TFC. Id buy it. I came into TFC in 2000, so I never got to play TF, Ive searched tons of stores for a copy of Quake so I could try it but with no luck.
Man when ive seen pictures of old maps its so cool to see how Rock turned into Rock 2 and 2fort has changed. The improvements were enormous just a few years after TF became TFC.
Cant wait to see how FF mappers make the next leap with the old classics.