PDA

View Full Version : Get Quaked 3 Video

KubeDawg
10-01-2008, 11:00 PM
http://www.wegame.com/watch/Get_Quaked_3/

I've never played Quake, I've seen old videos of it, I kinda thought the newest Quake was going to be more of the same. This video is filled with awesomeness, and I'm tempted to go buy it now.:)

Paft
10-01-2008, 11:10 PM
If TF didn't exist then i'd solely be playing Quakes 1-3. Like I do with TFC/FF.

Checkout cattuthaj jhana (http://www.own-age.com/vids/9117) it's a tricks video. It's great.

Edit: Downloading the "full quality" video. Can't see what's going on (the awesomeness) properly in the stream.

KubeDawg
10-02-2008, 12:09 AM
holy fuck!how do they get all those sweet camera angles to make videos of that quality?

squeek.
10-02-2008, 01:33 AM
Quake videos have always impressed me. I have had very little experience with quake, though.

Credge
10-02-2008, 02:32 AM
Quake 3 has the best recording stuff built for it. So many tools that are high quality.

To be honest, quake has always impressed the fuck out of me in regards to appearance. Despite being a rather ancient game, in regards to PC games, it still looks amazing.

ensiform
10-02-2008, 05:22 AM
http://www.quakeunity.com/file=2753

pF
10-02-2008, 08:54 AM
Yeah Quake 1 - 3 were absolutely awesome. Q3 had a couple of sweet maps - heavy on jumppads, small and hectic.. good stuff. I gotta say though, rarely have i been raped as much in a multiplayer game.

v3rtigo
10-02-2008, 09:12 AM
Q3, for me, was the best DM-arena-type-ish game. UT99 comes in second.

MonoXideAtWork
10-02-2008, 12:11 PM
Finally, here's my niggas.

<3 quake. and QuakeLive is gonna be dope!

mervaka
10-02-2008, 12:37 PM
anyone tried openarena? its not bad for a free game!

v3rtigo
10-02-2008, 01:00 PM
I'm looking forward to quake live, but I heard some concerning things, like unneccesary changes to the engine (in terms of physics, movement etc). Might just be rumors, but I think it came from a few beta testers.

Oh well, I'll find out when it's released.

ensiform
10-02-2008, 02:09 PM

yea but the maintainer is pretty hostile.

Innoc
10-02-2008, 03:13 PM
I loved Q1-3....Q4 was a pig.

Icculus
10-02-2008, 03:39 PM
I used to LOVE playing CPMA (Challenge Pro Mode Arena) for Quake3.

Check out this video done by one of the pro's.

CPMA Done by vo0 (http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=3982254532401769894).

Unbelievable the level of skill some of these players have.

-Icculus

** On second thought the video quality on that one sucks.. You can download the full video from one of the links on this (http://www.esreality.com/?a=post&id=596722) site.

299MB but it's worth downloading. I've watched it many times. **

MonoXideAtWork
10-02-2008, 05:38 PM
ICCY! I have a CPMA server, once I get my new mobo we gotta play!

Icculus
10-02-2008, 05:44 PM
Suhweet!

Need to fire it up again and dust off the cobwebs. That is one FUN mod!

-Icculus {FYC}

Lost
10-02-2008, 06:44 PM
Jezus H. Christ that was some awesome skill.

MightyLotu
10-03-2008, 05:10 PM
very nice

KubeDawg
10-03-2008, 05:59 PM
where do i dl all this? i dled q3a but it said it was the demo, and it couldn't find any servers. i had some fun in multiplayer mode though.

Demasu
10-03-2008, 06:01 PM
where do i dl all this? i dled q3a but it said it was the demo, and it couldn't find any servers. i had some fun in multiplayer mode though.
I downloaded Quake and Quake 3 and Quake 3 arena from Steam. I already had two, but I think you can get that one on Steam too.

leilei
10-03-2008, 06:56 PM
i'd have to agree

MonoXideAtWork
10-03-2008, 06:59 PM
get quake 3 from steam. you can get cpma from http://promode.org

Icculus
10-03-2008, 09:25 PM

Do it.. CPMA OWNS!!! Make sure you get the map pack too.

It does have a rather steep learning curve though. I thought I was at least decent cause I could beat all the bots on nightmare, then I joined a few pubs... talke about a huge helping of humble pie.

-Icculus {FYC}

Demasu
10-03-2008, 10:14 PM
I would but...
Notice: This domain name expired on 09/26/08 and is pending renewal or deletion

Circuitous
10-04-2008, 02:09 AM
Do it.. CPMA OWNS!!! Make sure you get the map pack too.

It does have a rather steep learning curve though. I thought I was at least decent cause I could beat all the bots on nightmare, then I joined a few pubs... talke about a huge helping of humble pie.

-Icculus {FYC}

CPMA's learning curve isn't any higher than FF's, really.

MightyLotu
10-04-2008, 01:11 PM

forgot that was free, dled it yesterday

it's fun, especially with some loud music
playing it on my laptop though.. too choppy for my crappy pc :p

Icculus
10-04-2008, 03:06 PM
CPMA's learning curve isn't any higher than FF's, really.

I think it is. Much faster pace and no bhop cap makes for some intense action. Couple that with the fact that there's no reloading on any weapons and you can pretty much die instantly and not know what even hit you.

At least with FF/TFC, it's slower and there are multiple classes to choose from. Any new player can choose HW and mow down a few scouts here and there.

In CPMA, everyone is the same class and it's all about the movement skills. The first one to get the mega-health and red armor is usually the one who comes out on top.

in FF, sure Scouts can haul some serious ass if they know what they're doing but they go down easy too.

As far as learing everything about either game, the learning curve is probably about the same but at least with FF you can get in a few frags here and there even if you don't really know what you're doing.

-Icculus {FYC}

Circuitous
10-04-2008, 08:20 PM
I think it is. Much faster pace and no bhop cap makes for some intense action. Couple that with the fact that there's no reloading on any weapons and you can pretty much die instantly and not know what even hit you.

But it's the same movement that lets you bunnyhop. The learning curve isn't any higher just because it's unlimited - unless you count learning to navigate corners as a considerable addition to it?

The lack of reloading also evens out the playing field some, although I'd say that the wider arsenal balances that back as well.

The only trick CPMA has that FF doesn't (as far as I'm aware, and please do correct me if I'm mistaken) is strafehopping, and it's no more difficult than bhop.

Honestly, I found tricks in CPMA to be way easier to do than in FF. It's really the DMing skills that set them apart. You need to be a GOOD deathmatcher to get by in CPMA anymore.

Icculus
10-04-2008, 11:41 PM
But it's the same movement that lets you bunnyhop. The learning curve isn't any higher just because it's unlimited - unless you count learning to navigate corners as a considerable addition to it?

The lack of reloading also evens out the playing field some, although I'd say that the wider arsenal balances that back as well.

The only trick CPMA has that FF doesn't (as far as I'm aware, and please do correct me if I'm mistaken) is strafehopping, and it's no more difficult than bhop.

Honestly, I found tricks in CPMA to be way easier to do than in FF. It's really the DMing skills that set them apart. You need to be a GOOD deathmatcher to get by in CPMA anymore.

I keep staring at your Avatar and it's making it difficult to respond....

I do agree that it's way easier in CPMA to bhop and strafe hop. All you have to do is alternate strafe buttons while jumping and you can get considerable speed in very little time.

The fact that you don't start with any weapons besides machine gun and Gauntlet puts the average noob at an extreme disadvantage. But even knowing the maps inside and out doesn't help unless you can pull of some pretty impressive trick jumps.. Take CPM3a for example (the 2fort of CPMA). Alot of people can jump from the stairs by the LG and yellow armor, all the way over to the mega-health area. If you can do stuff like that and control the exremely fast movement that you can build up, you can easily grab the good weapons, armor, and megahealth before your opponent does and handily finish them off with little effort.

Being a good DM'er helps for sure but i really think it's all about who gets the goods first.

At any rate, even though I get my ass handed to me in pubs, I still love that mod and watching the demos available at Challenge TV (http://www.challenge-tv.com/index.php?mode=demos&game=4) is awesome.. It's mind boggling what some of those people can do.. I've yet to see anyone at all move as good as vo0 does.

-Icculus {FYC}

MonoXideAtWork
10-06-2008, 09:12 AM
kube, you can ge the file at the challenge tv link that iccy provided. And if anyone wants to talk about cpma vs ff, please play cpma first.

If you can bhop in FF, you'll be quite fast in cpma. The game allows you to play with bots that can do the movement stuff too. So thats a good way to "warm up"

One of the major things that I loved about cpma is the map selection. Many of the maps (if not all) were built with tricking in mind and gameplay really flows well.

If you're new to DM, it's not just your ability to kill your opponent, the game is basically a capture point game between 2 players. There are items on the map that you must acquire to succeed. They respawn on a timer. Deny your opponent of these items, and you will have a much greater chance of winning.

Maps I recommend:

Cpm3a ( the most played cpma map)
pro-q3dm6 (a larger, faster map, very close to most played map)
cpm22 (personal favorite)
cpm23
cpm24
q3dm17 (the gameplay of this map is changed entirely!!!)

SmellyCat
10-06-2008, 04:46 PM
Got my hands on cpma. Let's see what it can do..

I guess a basic breakdown of skills that you can do could be useful to me. Else, I'll just be bunnyhopping/rocketjumping everywhere.

Am I right in seeing that you can trimp-jump?

MonoXideAtWork
10-06-2008, 06:49 PM
yes, "trimping" is included.

Basic Movement Skills:

Bunnyhopping: Very Similar to FF bunnyhopping
Strafejumping: The fastest way to build speed http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strafe-jumping

Ramp-jump (trimping) : jump while moving up a sloped surface for a vertical boost.

Double-jump: similar to trimping in FF. Note , jumping before and after you enter a teleporter will give you a very nice double-jump based on your timing.

SmellyCat
10-06-2008, 06:57 PM
A bunnyhop isn't a bunnyhop to me without needing to glide/strafe your first jumps. :)

First impression: bots suck.

Will risk online at some point. Looks ok for a DM aspect, seems similar to painkiller.. Bunnyhop as fast as you can around the map getting pickups and annihilating the other guy who doesn't have teh armours. Meh, needs concs. ;)

MonoXideAtWork
10-06-2008, 07:05 PM
if you think the bots suck, then you are most likely not playing them on the advanced skill levels.

The bots scale 1-5 (regular stupid id bots)
and then 6-100 (cpma bots that can control items and strafejump) I usually play against 60 for a warmup and 80 after that. If they still suck, play 100 bots.

You don't NEED to "glide" but the cirlce-jump (a glide that begins with a 90 degree turn) is the best way to begin gaining speed. A single circle jump can take you from 420 ups to 700 ups on the first jump.

SmellyCat
10-06-2008, 07:08 PM
Ah, didn't realise there were extra ones from the 1-5. Those ones suck, even on "nightmare".