PDA

View Full Version : Ambient Sounds

v3rtigo
09-20-2008, 11:02 PM
Not sure where to put this, so I used this place.

Basically, why are the ambient sounds in (some) FF maps? The new 2fort comes to mind here, but is not the only one. Usually I listen to my own music so it's somewhat annoying hearing some fucking seagull that I really don't give a damn about making a sound.

Why were these put in and is there a way to disable them?

Firefox11
09-20-2008, 11:32 PM
Why? The player feels immersed into the map if there's sounds in it, making it more realistic.

About how to disable it... Dunno. Tried lowering the game's Music/Effects?

A1win
09-20-2008, 11:39 PM
Replace them with empty files. If they are in the HL2 GCF, you can just put the empty files in FortressForever's corresponding folder and the engine will play them instead the ones in the GCF. You can use GCFScape to browse them.

For example, if the sound file in the GCF is in "sound\ambient\atmosphere\fuckingseagull.wav", just create an empty wav with the same name in your "Steam\SteamApps\SourceMods\FortressForever\sound\a mbient\atmosphere\" folder. GoldWave, for example, is a neat tool for editing sound files, but maybe you could do that even with the windows sound record tool...

Finding the wav might take some time so I'll let you do that ;p

v3rtigo
09-20-2008, 11:47 PM
Why? The player feels immersed into the map if there's sounds in it, making it more realistic.

That's a joke, right?

And I guess I could do that, A1win, I just wish there was an easier way.

Crazycarl
09-21-2008, 01:10 AM
Ambient sound is nice. The map feels fake if you are standing around and it's dead quiet.

Anyway, go into both the scripts folder and the maps folder and try erasing the "soundscapes" text files. These are scripts that control the ambient sounds. 2fort, for instance, uses maps\ff_2fort_soundscapes.txt. You might make shadow cry, though.

Some of the soundscapes might be carried over from HL2, so you'll have to find and replace those too. Oh, and whenver you start modding your files, make backups so you don't end up having to reinstall.

Thread moved to modding forum.

mixer
09-21-2008, 09:10 AM
im surprised to read that those files can be altered ... the server doesnt check this? doesnt this open the door for cheats?

v3rtigo
09-21-2008, 12:18 PM
Ambient sound is nice. The map feels fake if you are standing around and it's dead quiet.

Normally, I couldn't agree more, but most of the time there is so much action going around that you don't even hear the ambient sounds anyway. I mean, you're not actually trying to listen to it or anything, right? The only time you would is when you're on your own trying to immerse yourself in the map, which I think is totally pointless in a game like FF.

Anyway, big thanks on the soundscape thing. Perhaps a future cvar could disable them automatically? I'm sure I'm not the only one who is somewhat bothered by them.

Firefox11
09-21-2008, 06:28 PM
If there's so much action you can't hear the ambient sounds, how are you supposed to listen to music meanwhile? =D

Anyways, at least you've got an option to take them off.

glass
09-24-2008, 10:12 AM
The ambient sound in 2fort really sounds like the background sounds in fallout 1 and 2.

v3rtigo
09-24-2008, 03:18 PM
If there's so much action you can't hear the ambient sounds, how are you supposed to listen to music meanwhile? =D

I don't mind explosions and guns 'overpowering' my music, but the ambient sounds (especially inside the bases) just come out of nowhere and don't make much sense to me, so I notice it immediately and thus, am annoyed by them.

They don't add anything in terms of information, while footsteps or gunfire far away from me does, but those become inaudible thanks to the ambients.

mervaka
09-24-2008, 06:07 PM
sv_v3rtigo 0

no really, a lot of time is spent making those. its so nice to hear such lovely comments like "some fucking seagull"

what you do behind FF has nothing to do with the mod. we just make the game. if you want to play half a game, i suggest you delete the soundscapes files.

SmellyCat
09-24-2008, 11:28 PM
Sorry Mervaka soundscapes are not half the game. But in fairness they haven't bothered me whilst I've been playing (often with music, which yahknow, covers the sound). Not as intrusive as some of the CS ones iirc, thank god for stopsound in HL1 games...

mervaka
09-25-2008, 12:28 AM
it was an exaggeration..

Matt
10-01-2008, 08:45 PM
I like the sounds Mervaka :{D

v3rtigo
10-01-2008, 09:07 PM
sv_v3rtigo 0

no really, a lot of time is spent making those. its so nice to hear such lovely comments like "some fucking seagull"

what you do behind FF has nothing to do with the mod. we just make the game. if you want to play half a game, i suggest you delete the soundscapes files.

Looks like I stepped on sombody's toes...

:rolleyes:

shadow
10-02-2008, 01:46 AM
breaking news:
2fort in the next patch will come with ambient background music!
we've worked pretty hard on the concept, and who knows, if people like it, we could expand it to include all offical maps!

v3rtigo
10-02-2008, 08:27 AM
That's ok, music can be turned off anyway ;)

Skanky Butterpuss
10-03-2008, 06:33 PM
NOT THIS MUSIC

i am personally in charge of it, and it will be hardcoded to play at maximum volume no matter what you do. there will also be a file checker to make sure that you have not deleted the file or altered it in any way. im working very hard on it, and it will be epic.

v3rtigo
10-08-2008, 10:57 AM
You guys are getting off on this aren't you?

ZioN-mu
10-08-2008, 02:43 PM
stopsound command? :O

v3rtigo
10-08-2008, 02:53 PM
Isn't that a cheat cvar nowadays?