PDA

View Full Version : Bioshock

Mooga
09-18-2008, 03:33 PM
It's now $20 off of steam: Should I get it?

greenday5494
09-18-2008, 08:59 PM
sure. They removed the DRM install bullshit, and it's a spectacutlar game at that. i got it for 60 when it came out. (on the 360)

-=bingo-bango=-
09-18-2008, 10:02 PM
as long as you havent beaten and no1 hasent ruined the story for you yet, then hell yes

4est
09-18-2008, 10:44 PM
DO IT NOW... then don't read anything else about it until you finish the game.

;)

tu!
09-18-2008, 11:42 PM
dl'ed torrent, played for 30 mins, got bored, uninstalled.

the flash game last stand and ls2 in other thread were more fun than biotshock.

greenday5494
09-19-2008, 12:37 AM
tu!, we dont care that you think every single game on the planet is boring, and the only game that isnt is TFC. Also, disucssing warez, etc, is against forum rules.

Icculus
09-19-2008, 12:42 AM
dl'ed torrent, played for 30 mins, got bored, uninstalled.

the flash game last stand and ls2 in other thread were more fun than biotshock.

?????

Well, besides Tu!, I believe the general concensus is that Bioshock is AWESOME! If you only played 30 minutes, you barely had time to get started with the game. There are tons of unique areas, and powers that you can acquire throughout the game and the story is incredible. Especially the twist at the end.

P.S. Save the little girls, you get presents if you do. Although the extra Adam comes in handy too.... choices, choices.

Also make sure your computer can handle it. I tried playing it on my old Athlon 2000+ and had such a miserable time I had to stop playing. but with my dual core the game flies and is much more enjoyable.

Anyway, I think it's well worth the investment.

-Icculus {FYC}

tu!
09-19-2008, 02:28 AM
tu!, we dont care that you think every single game on the planet is boring, and the only game that isnt is TFC. Also, disucssing warez, etc, is against forum rules.

dude don't bitch at me just cause bioshock bring nothing new to the table and is like every other fps on the market but with marginally prettier water.

N OTHING NEW.

you prolly tihink the new crysis is the best thing since slicde bread!

greenday5494
09-19-2008, 02:49 AM

GeoKill----->
09-19-2008, 04:22 AM
I found Bioshock boring too

fireb0rn
09-19-2008, 04:50 AM
The plot twist was so fucking weak. I dunno why people have such low standards for video-game storyline, but I felt like I was watching some cheesy movie where nobody else could find something better so we just decided to watch it anyways. It wasn't clever, honestly.

BioShock had an excellent atmosphere, and I think it deserves recognition for that alone. But seriously: the gameplay sucked, the story sucked, the characters were boring. I didn't feel scared once in the game, because I knew that no matter what enemy I was facing I could just hit it down with my wrench. There was no survival-horror theme like there was in System Shock. Just wrench away. Then hack a computer by playing some pipe-game. And continue. Then keep having to play the boring pipe-game every few minutes till you can grind enough pictures to get rid of it. Then become involved in a huge moral dilemma: in becoming either a bad guy, or a good guy. Your choices have consequences, so watch out. Haven't seen this before.

It's just another case of developers taking a great game and stripping it of its good qualities just to sell it to a larger market. It happened with TES, SS, TF, and now it's happening to Fallout. lame

GeoKill----->
09-19-2008, 04:55 AM
Yep pretty much

Mooga
09-19-2008, 05:02 AM
While most people love it, I've hear many people who simply HATE it.

GeoKill----->
09-19-2008, 05:11 AM
I don't hate it, I just felt like I wasted my time playing that game

Bridget
09-19-2008, 05:25 AM
tu!, we dont care that you think every single game on the planet is boring

Again, more whining from a fourteen year old who doesn't understand that not everyone shares the same opinion. FOR THE LULZ:

I think i might have a virus, a VERY strange thing just happened.... is my IP like tracked or something? help

And when i get a girlfriend, ill get to have head. By a real girl. If i really fall in love and she does too, it'll be more then physical. Anytime i want, pretty much. And like i said, if we do fall in love, ill have real sex. While you can just use your hand.

torrenting is illegal

GeoKill----->
09-19-2008, 05:28 AM
Don't get butthurt because someone disagrees with your opinion, failfag.
2.2. Be reasonable. Be civil and respectful when posting regardless of what you’re saying or to whom you’re speaking. Being civil means, at a minimum, all of the following: no harassment, racism, sexism, homophobia, nation-hating (“country bashing”), clan bashing, pub-player bashing, “n00b” bashing, etc…. This rule extends to EVERTHING related to the forum: name, threads, posts, PMs, images, your profile, etc…

2.10. While you're free to be critical, if you are relentlessly negative and have a history of doing nothing but complain/whine/*****, you may be removed.

First warning

Bridget
09-19-2008, 05:33 AM
First warning

Where's greenday's warning for talking shit to people who have a different opinion? He has a history of nothing but complain/whine/etc. (:

GeoKill----->
09-19-2008, 05:37 AM
2.5. If you have a problem with one of the moderators, admins, or another member of these forums, either email them or send them a PM. http://www.fortress-forever.com/forum/announcement.php?f=48

Greenday been ban, you keep this up and so will you

If you have anything else to talk about, then pm me

פֿяαιп βαмαgεפ
09-19-2008, 11:54 AM
I got bored an distracted by other games like Race Driver: GRID, that THAT's a good game.

Firefox11
09-19-2008, 12:01 PM
I got almost to the end, but didn't finish it.

It was somewhat entertaining if you didn't use the wrench, but couldn't make myself end it.

v3rtigo
09-19-2008, 02:07 PM
I played it a bit and was curious, so I kept playing it for a while, but in terms of gameplay, it couldn't captivate me at all, which is why I didn't keep at it for long.

I didn't give a crap about all those upgrades because most sucked (if I set someone on fire, they should burn to death / if I electricute somebody, they should die). Atmosphere was so-so for me, I've definitely seen better.

The only part that I liked was the beginning, where you see the plane sinking and you get to the lighthouse (or whatever it is). To me, it was just another mediocre shooter that tried to stand out a little too much. I guess I'll replay it (and perhaps finish it) eventually, but can't say I'm very enthusiastic.

chilledsanity
09-19-2008, 03:44 PM
Bioshock isn't horrible in and of itself, however if you're played System Shock 2, it's inferior in every single aspect except for the graphics. The premise was cool and I thought they could have done a lot more with it, but they practically copied the System Shock 2 storyline verbatim then simplified it and made the characters more cliched.

Top that off with with dumbed down gameplay, an atmosphere that simply isn't as immersive or scary as SS2, and much more contrived elements, it's really a disappointment when you've played games that are much better and years older.

Mooga
09-19-2008, 03:47 PM
So it's not the "New HL2" that people have claimed it was?

פֿяαιп βαмαgεפ
09-19-2008, 04:05 PM
Bioshock isn't horrible in and of itself, however if you're played System Shock 2, it's inferior in every single aspect except for the graphics. The premise was cool and I thought they could have done a lot more with it, but they practically copied the System Shock 2 storyline verbatim then simplified it and made the characters more cliched.

Top that off with with dumbed down gameplay, an atmosphere that simply isn't as immersive or scary as SS2, and much more contrived elements, it's really a disappointment when you've played games that are much better and years older.

I just downl...BOUGHT system shock 2 and DAMN, you're right.

Bridget
09-19-2008, 04:17 PM
Speaking of which, System Shock 2 is easily one of the greatest games I've ever played. It's one of the creepiest games I've ever played too, and it does this with superb atmosphere instead of cliche 'in your face' moments. I shat bricks the first time the security camera gave my location to all the hybrids on the ship and sent them scream-running my way. You feel alone and vulnerable, and that's what terrifies you. I highly recommend the download. It's definitely on my top five of all time in general. This should be relevant, considering Bioshock is related. :3

Icculus
09-19-2008, 06:20 PM
Speaking of which, System Shock 2 is easily one of the greatest games I've ever played. It's one of the creepiest games I've ever played too, and it does this with superb atmosphere instead of cliche 'in your face' moments. I shat bricks the first time the security camera gave my location to all the hybrids on the ship and sent them scream-running my way. You feel alone and vulnerable, and that's what terrifies you. I highly recommend the download. It's definitely on my top five of all time in general. This should be relevant, considering Bioshock is related. :3

Damn, I never played System Shock2.. now I need to go buy it.

-Icculus {FYC}

tN|Orange
09-19-2008, 07:44 PM
One of my favorite games of all time.

v3rtigo
09-19-2008, 08:24 PM
I remember starting up System Shock 2 once or twice, but I've never really played it. This inspires me to retry.

Also, Thief:TDP anyone?

greenday5494
09-19-2008, 08:39 PM
Again, more whining from a fourteen year old who doesn't understand that not everyone shares the same opinion. FOR THE LULZ:
I find it entertaining that you troll every thread I'm in to pick on a fourteen year old boy. Real mature.

Also, when you're confronted by a mod, you seem like a cornered child 'But what about him!' attitude.

Anyways, BioShock is amazing, yes, by all means. But. It is not the game that everyone says it is. Yea, it's fuckin' pretty, and it plays pretty good, and the atmosphere really really really draws you in, but System Shock 2 was cooler, but bioshock is defiantly worth 20 or 30 bucks.

Hirohito
09-19-2008, 10:19 PM

SS2 is way too overrated. The game is not scary at all (unless you consider gingerbread men scary), the "creepy" environment is extremely cliche, most of the combat branches are dead-ends, your guy is about as durable as a 5-year old, and ammo is so rare that I was happy every time I found a box of it. I know the game isn't suppoed to be a "pure" FPS game, but I'd like to shoot something instead of whacking everything to death with a wrench or crystal shard.

You spend most of the game repairing broken stuff and beating the shit out of everything with a wrench, so it feels like you're some cyborg space janitor fixing a big spaceship while your asshole boss yells at you for everything you do, instead of feeling like you're being hunted by evil aliens on a doomed spaceship.

Even though the game says that you can beat it however you want, you're fucked near the end if you don't invest in firearms, as every high-powered monster in the game is waiting to murder you, and they shrug off most psi attacks. The PSI rechargers are rare as hell, so you can't use PSI too much. However, all of the vending machines throughout the game give out cheap ammo if you hack them, so there's no reason not to say "fuck it", stock up on ammo, then go into the last parts of the game and mow everything down with the Assault Rifle.

chilledsanity
09-20-2008, 07:05 AM
Hirohito: I've played scarier, but I'm curious what games you would consider scary. Here are a couple of mine:

Clive Barker's Undying: You feel really vulnerable, incredible atmosphere, genuinely creepy game.

Silent Hill series: I didn't find this to be overwhelmingly scary, but it created a real sense of doom and is a fantastic game in terms of atmosphere and writing

Bridget
09-20-2008, 08:05 AM

Yes, but you're reviewing SS2 with today's standards. You have to admit, for it's time, SS2 attempted a lot (and in my opinion, managed to make work) a lot of unique ideas. s;

Psi isn't useless, it's just this game is about conservation. By the end of the game, you should have, yes, whacked a shit load of monsters with the wrench and have saved your psi hypos. SS2 isn't run and gun, so it's your fault for trying to play it as one.

The point of meleeing monsters for most of the game was to let the other 'unique for its time' means of play sink in, instead of having you just run up and down corridors blowing shit up. You're supposed to feel abandoned, hopeless, and so forth. Hence, little ammo, little resources, shitty situations.

mixer
09-20-2008, 08:11 AM
yep .. get Bioshock, and then when finished, download System-Shock 2 somewhere ... its very old but still kicks butt ... but the very best is still System-Shock 1 ... from '94 :)

Hirohito
09-20-2008, 01:41 PM
Yes, but you're reviewing SS2 with today's standards. You have to admit, for it's time, SS2 attempted a lot (and in my opinion, managed to make work) a lot of unique ideas. s;

Psi isn't useless, it's just this game is about conservation. By the end of the game, you should have, yes, whacked a shit load of monsters with the wrench and have saved your psi hypos. SS2 isn't run and gun, so it's your fault for trying to play it as one.

The point of meleeing monsters for most of the game was to let the other 'unique for its time' means of play sink in, instead of having you just run up and down corridors blowing shit up. You're supposed to feel abandoned, hopeless, and so forth. Hence, little ammo, little resources, shitty situations.

I didn't run and gun; I just find it stupid that I have to beat the shit out of almost everything with a goddamn wrench when the levels have guns everywhere, but no ammo. I can see where it'd be scary, but after beating 50+ gingerbread men to death with a wrench, it gets frustrating and repetitive.

Deus Ex came out a year later and did everything better; an easier to use skill system, much better plot, actaully feeling like you're powering up when you upgrade your skills, and you don't have to kill almost every enemy with a melee weapons. It lacked SS2's atmosphere, but SS2's atmosphere disappeared after about an hour into the game.

v3rtigo
09-20-2008, 02:54 PM
I haven't played SS2 yet, so I can't really say anything about it, but I think expectations and attitude towards a genre can greatly impact your experience. I mean, deus ex is of an entirely different magnitude than, say, duke 3d or serious sam, even though, technically, they are both FPS.

In contrast, SS2 is not focussed on guns, but instead, psi powers and melee combat. This is somewhat logical, because the game uses horror-ish elements and they would disapear almost immediatly if you had a minigun that shreds every enemy in seconds. Depending on what you were expecting, the game could either be a great experience, or a letdown. You don't play Splinter Cell like WoW or GTA either, so if you were expecting that, you'd be disapointed.

What SS2 is to hirohito, is bioshock to me. The first time, it would've been cool, but today, it's hardly special. Magic powers have been in countless games already and IMO, they aren't that special in bioshock either. You can say the atmosphere was great, but I just didn't feel it enough. Condemned, now that's atmosphere to me. Same for Thief:TDP, but I already mentioned that one. FYI, Thief and SS used the same engine, so I guess that explains a few things. Anyway, I imagine that the atmosphere in SS2 was a lot more grim, while bioshock was more... techy.

Bridget
09-21-2008, 06:05 PM
I didn't run and gun; I just find it stupid that I have to beat the shit out of almost everything with a goddamn wrench when the levels have guns everywhere, but no ammo. I can see where it'd be scary, but after beating 50+ gingerbread men to death with a wrench, it gets frustrating and repetitive.

Deus Ex came out a year later and did everything better; an easier to use skill system, much better plot, actaully feeling like you're powering up when you upgrade your skills, and you don't have to kill almost every enemy with a melee weapons. It lacked SS2's atmosphere, but SS2's atmosphere disappeared after about an hour into the game.

Deus Ex is a completely different game. End irrelevancy. My friend wanted to congratulate you on looking like a fool by saying PSI was useless, considering he beat the game on impossible (10 health maximum sound easy?) without firing a single weapon, and took down Shodan with a single swing of his PSI-sword. </bonified psicoholic hybrid-shooting motherfucker>

v3rtigo
09-21-2008, 06:50 PM
Good for him, what did he win?

Bridget
09-21-2008, 07:20 PM
Good for him, what did he win?

The Game.

Hirohito
09-21-2008, 09:11 PM
Deus Ex is a completely different game. End irrelevancy. My friend wanted to congratulate you on looking like a fool by saying PSI was useless, considering he beat the game on impossible (10 health maximum sound easy?) without firing a single weapon, and took down Shodan with a single swing of his PSI-sword. </bonified psicoholic hybrid-shooting motherfucker>

PSi runs are fine IF YOU KNOW WHAT THE FUCK YOU'RE DOING. If you don't know what upgrade to get at a certain time, you'll usually shoot yourself in the foot. IMO, PSI is only for people that know the game inside and out.

Tell your buddy I don't give a shit.

Bridget
09-22-2008, 08:25 AM
PSi runs are fine IF YOU KNOW WHAT THE FUCK YOU'RE DOING. If you don't know what upgrade to get at a certain time, you'll usually shoot yourself in the foot. IMO, PSI is only for people that know the game inside and out.

Tell your buddy I don't give a shit.

Hi I'm Hirohito, I don't give a shit, yet I'm going to swear and use caps lock in my response, giving away I'm raged because I've been called on my bullshit.

You're right about one thing: You have to know what you're doing in SS2. Obviously, you don't, so I find it disgusting you blame the game for your misfortune when it's YOU who brings on said misfortune. Perhaps you should l2play before calling the game overrated, cliche, and so on.

gb2gaia imo. Maybe there, you'll find more suitable gameplay tailored to your 'omg ezmode' mentality. Games with a hint of challenge are definitely not for you. You need sandbox games where you're invincible and can take a million damage and blow shit up non-stop. ;D

-=bingo-bango=-
09-23-2008, 09:14 PM
bridget

you are a trolling asshole

just because someone dosent agree with you dosent mean you have to assault them

Bridget
09-23-2008, 09:20 PM
Anyone who calls a game shit because they can't play it correctly deserves it. He makes up crazy shit about a game he ultimately admits to not being good at, and when confronted by people who love the game and actually know how to work through it, he drools off "I don't care." Well, if you want to act like a child, expect to get smacked around like a child. :3

GeoKill----->
09-23-2008, 09:21 PM
and Bingo you are not really helping by flaming him

SmellyCat
09-23-2008, 09:35 PM
So when can I start smacking you around, Bridget? You're full of it yourself.

Bridget
09-23-2008, 09:36 PM
So when can I start smacking you around, Bridget? You're full of it yourself.

Maybe tonight? ;D? ;D? ;D?

SmellyCat
09-23-2008, 09:43 PM
Whenever, sweet cheeks.

-=bingo-bango=-
09-23-2008, 09:56 PM
and Bingo you are not really helping by flaming him

eh, i know

i thought i should at least flame him once, he dosent seem to be getting enough of it ;)

chilledsanity
09-25-2008, 12:33 AM
I played through all of SS2 focusing mainly on hacking and regular guns. I never used melee past the beginning and I didn't use any psi. I didn't use a guide and thought the difficulty level was pretty good.

There are a LOT of RPGs where the game can become much harder/easier depending on what area you focus in, SS2 isn't much different in that respect. To me, small arms seemed like the best option for people who didn't want to melee and I already knew I wanted to hack things so that's what I went with. Even if that wasn't the best option, I would have learned something else because the atmosphere and story progression was so well done I would have wanted to finish the game.

mixer: I really want to play SS original, but I'm too spoiled by having mouselook. I can't go back to keyboard aiming.

Hirohito
09-25-2008, 01:11 AM
Anyone who calls a game shit because they can't play it correctly deserves it. He makes up crazy shit about a game he ultimately admits to not being good at, and when confronted by people who love the game and actually know how to work through it, he drools off "I don't care." Well, if you want to act like a child, expect to get smacked around like a child. :3

How's about you stop trying to white-knight some old-ass, broken game and admit it has serious flaws? You're acting like it's God's gift to gaming.

Just agree that we have different opinions. Some of us don't have the patience to slog through a buggy, and annoyingly-difficult game just so we can get a few scares.

Bridget
09-25-2008, 02:07 AM
How's about you stop trying to white-knight some old-ass, broken game and admit it has serious flaws? You're acting like it's God's gift to gaming.

There are no major flaws that disrupt the gameplay of System Shock 2. I'll say it again, learn how to play the game before you begin formulating an opinion on it. It seems real games are difficult for you to grasp. Here's some titles to get you started:

Tic Tac Toe
Connect 4
Candyland
Shoots 'n Ladders
Hide 'n Seek

Just agree that we have different opinions. Some of us don't have the patience to slog through a buggy, and annoyingly-difficult game just so we can get a few scares.

Buggy? Sure, but the bugs are so trivial it harms nothing. Annoyingly difficult? That's why almost every dedicated fan has beat the game more than they can count, going through each time with a different strategy. Let's agree you suck at video games and blame the game itself for your failure. Shall we? Splendid, good sir. p_o *sips tea*

Stick to Halo, imo.

Hirohito
09-25-2008, 02:20 AM
There are no major flaws that disrupt the gameplay of System Shock 2. I'll say it again, learn how to play the game before you begin formulating an opinion on it. It seems real games are difficult for you to grasp. Here's some titles to get you started:

Tic Tac Toe
Connect 4
Candyland
Shoots 'n Ladders
Hide 'n Seek

Buggy? Sure, but the bugs are so trivial it harms nothing. Annoyingly difficult? That's why almost every dedicated fan has beat the game more than they can count, going through each time with a different strategy. Let's agree you suck at video games and blame the game itself for your failure. Shall we? Splendid, good sir. q_o *sips tea*

Look, I'm tried of your "ELITE GAMER" attitude. Being a VIDEO GAME MASTAH means jack-fucking-shit. I was like that for a number of years, but then I began talking to other people and realized that having friends and helping other people is much more rewarding than jerking off to obscure (or overly-difficult) games. Go outside and talk to other people, and you'll realize that being a video game expert means nothing.

Bridget
09-25-2008, 02:22 AM
Look, I'm tried of your "ELITE GAMER" attitude. Being a VIDEO GAME MASTAH means jack-fucking-shit. I was like that for a number of years, but then I began talking to other people and realized that having friends and helping other people is much more rewarding than jerking off to obscure (or overly-difficult) games. Go outside and talk to other people, and you'll realize that being a video game expert means nothing.

tl;dr

Hirohito
09-25-2008, 02:34 AM
tl;dr

rollin' with the punches

On Topic: Read this Bridget. http://www.caltrops.com/review0010.php It explains a lot about why I don't think SS2 is great.

SmellyCat
09-25-2008, 02:35 AM
Well, he sure told you, Hiro!!...

Hirohito
09-25-2008, 02:41 AM
Well, he sure told you, Hiro!!...

yeah I feel pretty owned right now. you could say that I have failed.

Bridget
09-25-2008, 02:56 AM
Protip: Learn how to play the game and formulate your own opinions instead of having them spoonfed to you by a review that doesn't even sound serious. I can't take you serious any more. Rather, I can't attempt to take you serious any more. Every thing you've said has made me want to introduce lead to my frontal lobe, but .. Aw hell, what a shitty game. I have to get a maintenance tool to fix this pistol before I can shoot myself. You mean I can't just get ez-mode and have it in perfect condition all the time despite the scenario being that I'm a lone survivor on a ship full of fucking aliens? Woe is me! Tis a sad day for a man of my sort. p_o

greenday5494
09-25-2008, 02:57 AM
you just proved his point

/facepalm

Bridget
09-25-2008, 02:59 AM
you just proved his point

/facepalm

Hey there. This conversation is for big boys, 'kay? Go play with your Firefox, little one. Ohh no! Here comes the virus monster. Aw, he got you. That's too bad. Stay in left field or at least contribute to the thread. Thanks nub.

SmellyCat
09-25-2008, 03:03 AM
Wait, you're contributing to this thread?

Hahaha.

Bridget
09-25-2008, 03:07 AM
Wait, you're contributing to this thread?

Hahaha.

You are? Go format your hard drive.

greenday5494
09-25-2008, 03:27 AM
Sigh. The cornered troll, always amusing to observe. Let's see what he does next.

Bridget
09-25-2008, 03:32 AM
Sigh. The cornered troll, always amusing to observe. Let's see what he does next.

Nothing, because I've already shut you down.

Hirohito
09-25-2008, 06:15 AM
Protip: Learn how to play the game and formulate your own opinions instead of having them spoonfed to you by a review that doesn't even sound serious. I can't take you serious any more. Rather, I can't attempt to take you serious any more. Every thing you've said has made me want to introduce lead to my frontal lobe, but .. Aw hell, what a shitty game. I have to get a maintenance tool to fix this pistol before I can shoot myself. You mean I can't just get ez-mode and have it in perfect condition all the time despite the scenario being that I'm a lone survivor on a ship full of fucking aliens? Woe is me! Tis a sad day for a man of my sort. p_o

Have you ever handled a weapon? I've fired 200 shots out of a shotgun and it worked like a charm. I don't see how being on a spaceship that has Alien Goo in it should make a perfect-condition gun break down after 100 shots.

I never said that I took all of my opinions from that review. Instead, it explains my gripes better than I could.

Demasu
09-25-2008, 06:27 AM
Seriously, just stop. You'll never agree.

Hirohito
09-25-2008, 06:38 AM
Seriously, just stop. You'll never agree.

I like seeing how far he'll go to defend SS2.

GeoKill----->
09-25-2008, 09:19 AM

stop feeding him and add him to your ignored list
God!

mixer
09-25-2008, 12:29 PM
mixer: I really want to play SS original, but I'm too spoiled by having mouselook. I can't go back to keyboard aiming.

you cannot even re-assign the keys :) thats somehow annoying. But you can aim with the mouse, you know you move the crosshair with the mouse. It gives you another way to handle it, a unique way of aiming me thinks. Some years ago i bought an old used VFX1-Cyberhelmet to enjoy the game once again ...

mixer
09-25-2008, 12:31 PM
Have you ever handled a weapon? I've fired 200 shots out of a shotgun and it worked like a charm. I don't see how being on a spaceship that has Alien Goo in it should make a perfect-condition gun break down after 100 shots.

I never said that I took all of my opinions from that review. Instead, it explains my gripes better than I could.

SS2s weapon degradation system was source of discussion, yeah ... i think its overdone and theres a way to disable it. The dev were looking at too many and strange ways to give depth to the game ...

Lost
09-25-2008, 01:01 PM
Wow, half a page of discussion of Bioshock, 3 pages of flaming of SS2.

What about all the hungry children in the world?

Circuitous
09-25-2008, 08:29 PM
Bridget and GreenDay get two days each, whee!

GeoKill----->
09-25-2008, 08:35 PM
YAY!

Shadow00Caster
09-25-2008, 09:22 PM
Circ turns me on...

Circuitous
09-25-2008, 09:30 PM
Indeed.

Back on topic: I found BioShock fairly interesting while I was playing it. A few hours in, it became boring. An hour or so after that, it became downright annoying. By the end, I was ready to just call it quits. After finishing it, I've decided to declare it an awful game.

Summary: BioShock was awful.

-=bingo-bango=-
09-26-2008, 05:39 AM
...and now im turned off

Everything
09-26-2008, 06:44 PM
Off-topic, Circ wins.

On-topic, I didn't like Bioshock.

R22B
09-26-2008, 06:46 PM
stop feeding him and add him to your ignored list
God!

I've only been here for 10 minutes and only posted once and he's/she's/idiot president is already on my ignore list :D

chilledsanity
09-27-2008, 02:58 AM
Hirohito: I agree, weapon degradation was simply bullshit design. There was a line in the config you could edit to turn that off though, which is how I played through the game.

Innoc
09-27-2008, 02:42 PM
I'm interested in Bioshock but I'm waiting until it's a super bargain bin buy. Somehow I missed System Shock 1 and 2 which is odd as I've been a PC Gamer since Castle Wolfenstein....in fact....my PC Gaming actually goes back to the Commodore Pet...

In terms of scary atmosphere I think FEAR did a pretty damned good job.

Circuitous
09-27-2008, 05:56 PM
F.E.A.R. was jump-out-and-get-you scary. The only tension was wondering when the next thing would pop up and freak you out. There are way scarier games out there... fuck, I think STALKER is scarier than FEAR sometimes. It's about atmosphere. Throwing a couple bloody bodies around and having some creepy, dark-haired little girl pop up as the lights go out or whatever isn't an acceptable substitute for a properly scary atmosphere.

eternity94
09-27-2008, 11:03 PM
The two games with the most scary atmosphere imo are Condemned 1, the first half of 2 and the Silent Hill series.

v3rtigo
09-27-2008, 11:08 PM
Condemned was indeed great atmosphere (can't wait to play 2), but not so much scary, for me. Playing 'shalebridge craddle' in thief 3, now that was fucking scary. That and thief 1's zombie missions (down in the bonehoard, the haunted cathedral, etc) were the only times when a game really had me scared shitless. Afraid of Monsters isn't doing so bad for me either, btw.

Circuitous
09-27-2008, 11:09 PM
X16 and X18 are scary. :(

v3rtigo
09-27-2008, 11:18 PM
After a google search, that's from STALKER isn't it?

Circuitous
09-29-2008, 01:41 PM
Aye, sir!

v3rtigo
10-01-2008, 06:32 PM
Have yet to get there, but I haven't played STALKER for a while. Playing it for the first time btw.

Circuitous
10-02-2008, 10:53 PM
You go to X18 very quickly actually. It's the second "special mission" Sidorovich (typing this name from memory) gives you.

Innoc
10-02-2008, 11:12 PM
F.E.A.R. was jump-out-and-get-you scary. The only tension was wondering when the next thing would pop up and freak you out. There are way scarier games out there... fuck, I think STALKER is scarier than FEAR sometimes. It's about atmosphere. Throwing a couple bloody bodies around and having some creepy, dark-haired little girl pop up as the lights go out or whatever isn't an acceptable substitute for a properly scary atmosphere.
Stalker was pretty eerie at times. Even knowing that the tentacle faces were around wasn't always enough to avoid being startled.

Fear usually telegraphed when something weird was going to happen but I still found it to be scary.

Back in the day Doom2 was eerie too...