PDA

View Full Version : ffschool - O vs D server is now up.

Hoopajoo
07-09-2008, 03:48 AM
***************EDIT: server is down for the time being. ffschool wasn't the best name for this type of pub. It attracted new players of course which is kind of the opposite crowd I wanted.******************

I have recently started the "ffschool.org public server" for the communities enjoyment.

IP: 72.233.30.130:27015
Vent: 208.100.30.245 3300
IRC: #ffschool

Edit: I figured I should mention that FFschool is a project of mine aimed at helping new players gain the skills and desire necessary to join a clan and compete in a league. www.FFschool.org is the website. It will feature video tutorials and some informational links to help new players get started quickly. The site will also feature one on one training. It should be completed within a couple months.

MOTD:

WELCOME to the School of Fortress Forever's public server!
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Server rules WILL BE ENFORCED:

1. RED team is DEFENSE and BLUE is OFFENSE. 5v5 or 6v6 should switch to a FULL GAME.

2. When full game, 5v5 = 2 O 3 D per team. 6v6 = 3 O 3 D. 7v7 3 O 4 D. 8v8 4 O 4 D. Try and keep teams even and structured.

3. No yard D except on maps like ff_monkey where front door D is standard.

4. No O v O.

5. No spy DEFENSE.

6. No excessive chatting or voice spam. THIS IS NOT A CHAT ROOM. You will be asked to stop.

7. No being AFK in game. JOIN SPECTATOR. If you are going to be afk for more than 10 minutes, leave the server. AFK's will be kicked.

8. No racism or excessive flaming of other players.

9. Disrespecting or ignoring admins will result in a kick or time ban.

10. Keep vulgar sprays in the can. Anything tasteful is ok.

11. To report admin abuse or get a permanent ban removed, visit #ffschool on irc.gamesurge.net and PM Fella|Hoopajoo.

Admins will inform players of rules and then kick. Players are expected to know the server rules.

IRC: #ffschool on irc.gamesurge.net Ventrilo: 208.100.30.245 Port: 3300

This server is designed to be like the former [GoW] Odin's Graveyard (which I admin'd for 4 years) in its rules, admin actions, and plugins. Anyone in the community who is mature can be an admin. Contact me and idle in #ffschool on irc.gamesurge.net to become an admin.

-----------------------

Admin Actions:
Admins are expected to INFORM players who are violating rules of the rules. You only have to do so once. You may then kick. Normally players come back asking why they were kicked. Briefly re-state the rule and that should be that. If they disrepect you, you may kick agian. Generally players come back and have fun after a 2nd kick. If they disrespect you upon returning, you may time ban for 1-300 minutes at your discretion. Generally I go with 5 minutes as a warning ban. Perm bans should be given very rarely.

The goal is not to be nazi admins but to make it clear that rules will be enforced and admins do not take shit. I like to say "please" and ask people to "just follow rules and have fun" etc..

Maps should be changed via vote, if the server is expressing a general distaste for the current map, or if the server is empty. Do not change maps too frequently.

I will make an "admin only" IRC channel pretty soon which links to admin rules and source mod commands and such.

----------------------

It is my hope that the community will enjoy an organized and competitive place to pub, without all the fuss!

squeek.
07-09-2008, 03:57 AM
Nice. I'd like to be an admin if I could.

Hoopajoo
07-09-2008, 05:29 AM
Yea definitely squeek.

Gator-
07-09-2008, 05:32 AM
i r nzi admn, i r hr to bn u!

Rutabeggar
07-09-2008, 05:35 AM
I think this is a great idea and nice alternative to playing in pubs all the time...I hope that the environment won't be hostile towards new players though in that people who become regulars won't insult new players simply because the new players don't understand certain aspects of the game and their ability may not be as developed as the regulars/clanners.

I'll be stopping in to give this a try, nice work Hoop.

Hoopajoo
07-09-2008, 07:48 AM
Nah it wont be hostile towards lesser players but players will be expected to know the basics of the game and know how O vs D works. I am in the process of making ffschool.org, which will have video tutorials soon explaining many aspects of the game. This should help them to fit right in.

One of the big issues I see right now is that MOTD doesn't work properly so my rules can't be read by people joining... It will be a pain to tell new players the rules repeatedly. Hopefully 2.1 can get this fixed, as I see it as one of the major reasons pub play in FF is so disorganized and chaotic.

mariozilla
07-09-2008, 08:18 AM
Voted #1 server in the western hemisphere.

Agent Buckshot Moose
07-09-2008, 12:29 PM
Are Sniper and/or Pyro turned off?

Hoopajoo
07-09-2008, 02:57 PM
Right now they are set to 1 sniper and 1 pyro per team but they may be turned off. I don't know if they will disrupt the game play much.

If disabled, snipers would be allowed/increased by an admin on AD maps.

I would assume you don't want them turned off right?

Agent Buckshot Moose
07-09-2008, 03:03 PM
You got it. ;)

Limit of 1 is fine, but no need to artificially limit the game (moreso than the so-called gentlemen's rules) because people don't like being killed a certain class...

Hoopajoo
07-09-2008, 03:20 PM
Limiting pyro or sniper would not be about the prevention of being killed by them, it is simply that those classes are not generally used in competitive CTF game play and could potentially disrupt the "match style" atmosphere we are going for.

I don't think it will be a problem though considering our player base should mostly be league players who want an organized and challenging place to pub.

BlisTer
07-09-2008, 04:37 PM
thumbs up for Hoop.

KubeDawg
07-09-2008, 05:33 PM
Yessir indeedy.

Desyphur
07-09-2008, 07:05 PM
I'll pop on the server occasionally. I'll probably be the one pyro player on offence.

tu!
07-09-2008, 10:59 PM
man tor. have unbanned me from gow like a billion times. bring back good memories!

myersjr
07-11-2008, 09:27 PM
Now this sounds like something i could get into. If only i could find more time to play.. :/

Handym
07-17-2008, 07:40 PM
Limiting pyro or sniper would not be about the prevention of being killed by them, it is simply that those classes are not generally used in competitive CTF game play and could potentially disrupt the "match style" atmosphere we are going for.
But are there any needs for limits and restrictions? The fact that they aren't used much competetively doesen't have to mean people can't experiment with them or use them their own way, to successfully help their team.

!nF3D4L
07-17-2008, 08:07 PM
buts its a ovd, ctf style server

Agent Buckshot Moose
07-17-2008, 09:39 PM
Last time I checked Pyro and Sniper can fit into an offensive and defensive role in a CTF game.

VinnytheBoss
07-17-2008, 09:43 PM
Last time I checked Pyro and Sniper can fit into an offensive and defensive role in a CTF game.

last time i checked you were a smart individual...until i read what you just posted.

edit: pyro may work on O if used correctly...but why use sniper when you can have a class wit heavy armor and rockets or pipes....

unless your hitting 90% of your shots (which you arent with these hit boxes) its retarded.

Agent Buckshot Moose
07-17-2008, 09:47 PM
last time i checked you were a smart individual...until i read what you just posted.

edit: pyro may work on O if used correctly...but why use sniper when you can have a class wit heavy armor and rockets or pipes....

unless your hitting 90% of your shots (which you arent with these hit boxes) its retarded.

o sry if i liek 2 play other clases besides socut solider and medci lol wat

Thor-Stryker
07-21-2008, 06:03 PM

I do, in fact, I generally only aim for the legs, so I'm technically more effective than some explosive classes when it comes to slowing down the offense. Not that any leagues will accept this type of behavior as they consider it yard defense.

MonoXideAtWork
08-15-2008, 09:36 PM
added to favorites!!!

exclamatio
09-08-2008, 09:44 AM
server down?

Gator-
09-08-2008, 10:40 PM
Yes. This can be locked now.

Shadow00Caster
09-08-2008, 11:23 PM
No more OvD server :(?